“Paradise!”

Blue Marlin Beach Resort
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The view is spectacular, The staff are amazing. Definitely going back. Scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing. Next time back I plan on bringing my two daughters. Visit the neighboring islands for a special treat.

Room Tip: The room are not luxurious, but its a small island resort. If you plan on spending time in your room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank gilbm7587
marlinbelize, Manager at Blue Marlin Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Blue Marlin Resort. We look forward to hosting you on a future trip with your two daughters.

Hoping that you have additional photos of the spectacular views of the island and reef. Please note the picture you posted is of staff quarters and not of guest accommodations.

Thank you for choosing Blue Marlin Resort for your stay on South Water Caye and we look forward to hosting you once again.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I love this island more than any other vacation island for many reasons. The main one is that I feel like I'm completely catered to and I have the island entirely to myself, and I must say this island is truly paradise. The island sits on the barrier reef so scuba sites are only minutes away and is teeming with marine life. I stayed in the ocean view cottage and the sound of the water rushing over the reef gave me the best sleep I've had in a long time.
I also do deep sea fishing right outside the island and have had luck with albacore tuna, mahi mahi and ocean jacks.
I would definitely recommend if you need some relaxation or time to enjoy good company.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean offer amazing views but are a little far from the restaurant.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Before saying anything else, I want to make absolutely clear that old reviews about a divemaster, Carlos, are no longer relevant. The current divemaster, Nigel Ritchie, was one of the best parts of our stay. My wife and I were recently-certified open water divers and Nigel carefully reviewed our logs, spent a good amount of time making sure we were on the same page as far as underwater communications, watched us assemble our scuba gear, inspected our equipment, reviewed with us their equipment which was a bit different from what we trained with and he was very diligent and observant throughout all of our dives. He communicated well with the boat master, Clifford, and together they made all of our dives great experiences. He showed us everything from nurse sharks to spiny and slipper lobsters to moray eels to an ancient loggerhead turtle with a missing flipper, but he never lost track of a diver and remained in control of every aspect of our dives. He is quiet but eminently professional and you couldn't do better for a divemaster. Clifford is a great snorkeling guide in addition to boat master.
Melissa Ritchie is the resort concierge and spent all day every day seeing to every guest having a great experience rather than trying to convince anybody to accept a "package".Our private cottage was an octogon-shaped raised cabin about 75 feet from the Caribbean Sea..we left the door open all day and all night to get the wonderful easterly breeze. Alden, the resort's waiter, bartender all day every day, is a jewel. His quiet smile and laugh were infectious.
The food is filling but there was a bit too much fried food and bread for our liking. We recognize that everything has to be prepared in advance and served cafeteria style.
Thanks to Rosella Zabaneh, the owner, and Melissa for organizing almost every aspect of our Belize adventure and for hosting us at Blue Marlin Resort. You Better Belize It!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mangonboat
Reviewed April 19, 2013

THE BACK STORY
In March 2007 my wife and I split two weeks in Belize - one week in Placencia, one in Ambergris. Loved the laid back quiet of Placencia, too far from the reef. Didn't care for the hustle and bustle of San Pedro, loved the proximity and health of the reef.
This time I wanted to show our kids (recently nine and almost seven) a healthy reef.
THE LOCATION CRITERIA
On the reef (to spend way less time in the dive/snorkel boat traveling), with a beach (to give my wife a place to take the kids while I'm gone diving), and a meal plan, (to keep us relaxing instead of grocery shopping and cooking while on holiday), and a shot at the full moon whale shark diving.
THE DATES
We arrived on a Thursday in March, and left the following Saturday in April (yes - nine nights!) and did not want to go home!
THE RESORT
Well kept and well run, the meals were excellent and offered much local flavour, the staff very friendly and accommodating, and the location simply stunning. The pier is over here, and forty yards away is the other side of the island and the outer reef!
THE DIVING
The dive master(Nigel), the boat captain(Clifford) and I were the only ones in the boat for 5 of the 10 dives - their local knowledge of the reef and skills were remarkable. The changing weather stirred visibility up a little, but the reef is abundant in fish and coral diversity and in good health. I drew no small amount of satisfaction seeing boats come to South Water Caye from Placencia and Dangriga and watch them leave again to have the place to ourselves!
Spotted eagle, Southern, and yellow rays, loggerhead and green turtles, nurse sharks, dolphins, tarpon, goliath grouper, eels, seahorse, file, trigger, hog, angel, cow, trunk, and toad fish, and some of the best coral and algal diversity I`ve seen in the Caribbean.
The resort arranged passage for me to meet Avadon Divers at Gladden Spit at the Warden`s boat - we didn`t see whale sharks, but neither did anyone else - one moon cycle too early.
THE SNORKELING
Our kids had never snorkeled in open water before, and being able to show them what we saw was incredible. Clifford took us all out to different types of reef, was patient and engaging to the kids, and even harvested and filleted a conch for us (which we all happily ate!).
THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP a night snorkel - made possible by the generosity of the North Florida marine biology graduate students and their professor that invited us along and shared their torch. My kids and I swam arms linked and saw two kinds of octopii, squid, three kinds of lobster, two different crabs, brittle stars, and saw and heard a coral toadfish!, And at the end of an island that far from the mainland in the dark - more stars than can be counted!
THE BEACH
Is not actually on the Blue Marlin site - a three minute walk to the far end of the island. The beach itself is small, and there are no chairs (and Pelican doesn`t want you to use theirs). In the mid afternoon tour boats come in that use the beach for a while and then leave. The shade from the palm trees, and the sand in the shallow water is lovely and bathtub warm - watch out for the ants under the palm trees. The shore snorkelling (and the remarkable night snorkel) began here.
THE ROOM
Cabin 15 - One king and one double were both comfortable. The AC worked well, but we preferred the crosswind through the windows. There is a fridge in the room that was modestly stocked with beer and soda. The bathroom consisted of sink, shower and toilet. The shower worked well, but the toilet tank seal leaked and required attention (which the staff attended to quickly). Our rooms were not cleaned daily and our towels were not changed when they did, though we`re sure that if we`d requested it it would have been done. It wasn`t important enough for us to ask because the proximity to the reef was the primary reason for our stay. The hammocks on the porch were Mayan weave and very comfortable. There is power in the room (24hours) but there is some noise from the generator that creates it.
THE STAFF
Rosella, Richard(local owners), Melissa(guest liason), Alden(server bartender), Nigel(dive master), Clifford(boat captain), Ionie(cook), Roy(grounds maintenance) (and the rest - names escape me at this writing) thank you for a wonderful holiday! We definitely want to come back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BernSand
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was a great place to visit in Belize. It's directly on the reef! The staff in excellent. All of the meals were prepared with love. The Scuba master was great. I took the Discover class and did my first dive on the reef, breath taking to say the least. Can't wait to get back there!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Chepper
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This resort has a perfect location, excellent accommodations, great food, and a wonderful staff. I stayed at Blue Marlin Resort (BMR) during June, intent on a fishing vacation. South Water Caye is a paradise island, and BMR spans the island's width on the comfortable northern end. BMR has an extensive pier with more dock space than any other facility on the island, and they provide numerous options for tours, fishing, or diving with their various boats. All boats are well maintained. My room was air conditioned; the only resort in the area with a.c. The cleaning ladies visited my room daily, and provided fresh bedding and towels. Like all staff members at BMR, they were friendly and helpful. I spent almost every day fishing, and South Water Caye is a prime fishing location. Bo took me deep-water fishing for grouper and snapper just a half mile east of the island, and we loaded the boat with BIG Queen Snapper and Warsaw Grouper (up to 60 lbs). We also went trolling for tuna; caught some almost every day. I went flyfishing for Bonefish right in the shallows on the east side of the island; caught plenty. We even caught and released a 180-lb Blue Marlin a few miles east of the island, caught Barracuda daily, and caught Permit from the pier at night. There were always Tarpon around the pier nightly too, but I never tried for them. All of the fish we brought home were cleaned by the staff (usually Doyn) and served fresh by the cooks (Miss Ionee and Miss Brenda). They provided 3 meals daily, starting with choices of breakfast favorites (choice of eggs, pancakes, French toast, or Belizean breakfast), full-sized lunch, and a feast for dinner (often the scheduled dinner plus our catch of the day added). We had lobster when the season opened - yummy. The best feature of BMR, however, is the people. Rosella has an experienced, professional, and friendly staff. They made me feel like family while I visited, and they made sure I was pleased with every day's adventure. Stacey quickly learned my favorite drinks at her bar, Doyn always welcomed me at the dock when I brought home fish for him to clean, and the cooks welcomed my requests for fresh fruit and freshly caught fish. Obviously I had the stay of a lifetime, and I attribute its success to the staff members and the accommodations. I have visited much of Belize and stayed at many resorts throughout the country. This one is tops! Seriously, tops!

Room Tip: The domes look like igloos, but they are cooler than traditional rooms. All rooms have air conditio...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank 915Chechem
Reviewed June 15, 2012

What can I say, South Water Caye was AWESOME! The scuba, snorkeling, fishing was the best I've seen in the Caribbean Islands. I spent four days with my family and everyone very much enjoyed the beach; also possibly the best in Belize... Our living quarters were very clean and well kept; we enjoyed our time and hope to return soon. This place is truly a slice of heaven!

Room Tip: The two cabins that face the reef are the best place to relax, very private and the breeze on the de...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Belize Ocean Club, a Muy'Ono Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
#2 of 13 in Hopkins

Been to Blue Marlin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!