“scuba/snorkel/beach paradise found!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Marlin Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
Edmonton, Canada
“scuba/snorkel/beach paradise found!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

THE BACK STORY
In March 2007 my wife and I split two weeks in Belize - one week in Placencia, one in Ambergris. Loved the laid back quiet of Placencia, too far from the reef. Didn't care for the hustle and bustle of San Pedro, loved the proximity and health of the reef.
This time I wanted to show our kids (recently nine and almost seven) a healthy reef.
THE LOCATION CRITERIA
On the reef (to spend way less time in the dive/snorkel boat traveling), with a beach (to give my wife a place to take the kids while I'm gone diving), and a meal plan, (to keep us relaxing instead of grocery shopping and cooking while on holiday), and a shot at the full moon whale shark diving.
THE DATES
We arrived on a Thursday in March, and left the following Saturday in April (yes - nine nights!) and did not want to go home!
THE RESORT
Well kept and well run, the meals were excellent and offered much local flavour, the staff very friendly and accommodating, and the location simply stunning. The pier is over here, and forty yards away is the other side of the island and the outer reef!
THE DIVING
The dive master(Nigel), the boat captain(Clifford) and I were the only ones in the boat for 5 of the 10 dives - their local knowledge of the reef and skills were remarkable. The changing weather stirred visibility up a little, but the reef is abundant in fish and coral diversity and in good health. I drew no small amount of satisfaction seeing boats come to South Water Caye from Placencia and Dangriga and watch them leave again to have the place to ourselves!
Spotted eagle, Southern, and yellow rays, loggerhead and green turtles, nurse sharks, dolphins, tarpon, goliath grouper, eels, seahorse, file, trigger, hog, angel, cow, trunk, and toad fish, and some of the best coral and algal diversity I`ve seen in the Caribbean.
The resort arranged passage for me to meet Avadon Divers at Gladden Spit at the Warden`s boat - we didn`t see whale sharks, but neither did anyone else - one moon cycle too early.
THE SNORKELING
Our kids had never snorkeled in open water before, and being able to show them what we saw was incredible. Clifford took us all out to different types of reef, was patient and engaging to the kids, and even harvested and filleted a conch for us (which we all happily ate!).
THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP a night snorkel - made possible by the generosity of the North Florida marine biology graduate students and their professor that invited us along and shared their torch. My kids and I swam arms linked and saw two kinds of octopii, squid, three kinds of lobster, two different crabs, brittle stars, and saw and heard a coral toadfish!, And at the end of an island that far from the mainland in the dark - more stars than can be counted!
THE BEACH
Is not actually on the Blue Marlin site - a three minute walk to the far end of the island. The beach itself is small, and there are no chairs (and Pelican doesn`t want you to use theirs). In the mid afternoon tour boats come in that use the beach for a while and then leave. The shade from the palm trees, and the sand in the shallow water is lovely and bathtub warm - watch out for the ants under the palm trees. The shore snorkelling (and the remarkable night snorkel) began here.
THE ROOM
Cabin 15 - One king and one double were both comfortable. The AC worked well, but we preferred the crosswind through the windows. There is a fridge in the room that was modestly stocked with beer and soda. The bathroom consisted of sink, shower and toilet. The shower worked well, but the toilet tank seal leaked and required attention (which the staff attended to quickly). Our rooms were not cleaned daily and our towels were not changed when they did, though we`re sure that if we`d requested it it would have been done. It wasn`t important enough for us to ask because the proximity to the reef was the primary reason for our stay. The hammocks on the porch were Mayan weave and very comfortable. There is power in the room (24hours) but there is some noise from the generator that creates it.
THE STAFF
Rosella, Richard(local owners), Melissa(guest liason), Alden(server bartender), Nigel(dive master), Clifford(boat captain), Ionie(cook), Roy(grounds maintenance) (and the rest - names escape me at this writing) thank you for a wonderful holiday! We definitely want to come back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BernSand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was a great place to visit in Belize. It's directly on the reef! The staff in excellent. All of the meals were prepared with love. The Scuba master was great. I took the Discover class and did my first dive on the reef, breath taking to say the least. Can't wait to get back there!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chepper
Oxford, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

This resort has a perfect location, excellent accommodations, great food, and a wonderful staff. I stayed at Blue Marlin Resort (BMR) during June, intent on a fishing vacation. South Water Caye is a paradise island, and BMR spans the island's width on the comfortable northern end. BMR has an extensive pier with more dock space than any other facility on the island, and they provide numerous options for tours, fishing, or diving with their various boats. All boats are well maintained. My room was air conditioned; the only resort in the area with a.c. The cleaning ladies visited my room daily, and provided fresh bedding and towels. Like all staff members at BMR, they were friendly and helpful. I spent almost every day fishing, and South Water Caye is a prime fishing location. Bo took me deep-water fishing for grouper and snapper just a half mile east of the island, and we loaded the boat with BIG Queen Snapper and Warsaw Grouper (up to 60 lbs). We also went trolling for tuna; caught some almost every day. I went flyfishing for Bonefish right in the shallows on the east side of the island; caught plenty. We even caught and released a 180-lb Blue Marlin a few miles east of the island, caught Barracuda daily, and caught Permit from the pier at night. There were always Tarpon around the pier nightly too, but I never tried for them. All of the fish we brought home were cleaned by the staff (usually Doyn) and served fresh by the cooks (Miss Ionee and Miss Brenda). They provided 3 meals daily, starting with choices of breakfast favorites (choice of eggs, pancakes, French toast, or Belizean breakfast), full-sized lunch, and a feast for dinner (often the scheduled dinner plus our catch of the day added). We had lobster when the season opened - yummy. The best feature of BMR, however, is the people. Rosella has an experienced, professional, and friendly staff. They made me feel like family while I visited, and they made sure I was pleased with every day's adventure. Stacey quickly learned my favorite drinks at her bar, Doyn always welcomed me at the dock when I brought home fish for him to clean, and the cooks welcomed my requests for fresh fruit and freshly caught fish. Obviously I had the stay of a lifetime, and I attribute its success to the staff members and the accommodations. I have visited much of Belize and stayed at many resorts throughout the country. This one is tops! Seriously, tops!

Room Tip: The domes look like igloos, but they are cooler than traditional rooms. All rooms have air conditio...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank 915Chechem
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

What can I say, South Water Caye was AWESOME! The scuba, snorkeling, fishing was the best I've seen in the Caribbean Islands. I spent four days with my family and everyone very much enjoyed the beach; also possibly the best in Belize... Our living quarters were very clean and well kept; we enjoyed our time and hope to return soon. This place is truly a slice of heaven!

Room Tip: The two cabins that face the reef are the best place to relax, very private and the breeze on the de...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leo E
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at the Blue Marlin in June 1991 and went on my first ever wall dive. That dive was spectacular and the dive staff took such good care of me, the novice in the group.
I am back at the Blue Marlin again, this time with my husband. Everyone, from the dive master to the chef, makes sure that our trip is perfect!
We will return!

Room Tip: The beach front cabanas have an amazing view of the reef!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary M
Skaneateles, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

My family and I spent 3 wonderful days at the resort, this resort is located in a protected reserve. Fantastic location, great views, good food, nature wonder, superb service. Paradaise! The water is crystal clear, white soft sand..friendly staff, watching the barrier reef from your bed... what else can you ask for?

Room Tip: Sea front cabanas
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank mariu40
Phoenicia, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

We spent 7 nights at Blue Marlin. It was a wonderful and relaxing experience. Location is great....South Water Caye is right on the reef! You can snorkel the patch reefs from the beach.The water was beautiful. The staff was great...very helpful with any questions or needs. Also, the food was spectacular! We hope to return!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 11 in Hopkins
Thatch Caye Resort
Thatch Caye Resort
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay

Been to Blue Marlin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!