“Great location, great people, great resort.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Marlin Beach Resort

Blue Marlin Beach Resort
Oxford, MS
“Great location, great people, great resort.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

I just spent 2 weeks at Blue Marlin. The people were welcoming and accommodating, the food was excellent, and the rooms were clean and air conditioned. There was daily maid service, fresh towels daily, excellent boats for diving or snorkeling, well-trained guides, and a nice bar (where guests from other resorts on the island gathered). I have stayed at many places in Belize; this is the best.

Room Tip: Rooms near the ocean are best.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 915Chechem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Miami fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stopped in for a short visit and to do some diving. Great diving and excellent accommodations. All rooms are renovated and refurbished, with new and comfortable beds. The diving was spectacular with great visibility.Carlos my dive master guide was very good. I would visit this place as many times as possible if I were living close. Spectacular location and service.

Room Tip: Resort in close proximity to dangriga.I stayed in a guest room, but the resort has 5 private cabanas...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank peepin
Miami fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

I was disappointed to see a review reference the food at the Blue Marlin Lodge. It has been the best ever and so is the service. I visited as a stranger and left as a friend to all the staff and management. Great people, good service, comfortable accommodations, great diving, and spectacular wall dives and view of the Mayan mountains. On arrival in Dangriga we were met by the Blue Marlin staff and shuttled over to the boat dock for transfer to the island. Boat ride was approximately 30 minutes. On arrival at the lodge we were met by the staff, was introduced to the lodge and offered our complimentary rum punch or belizean beer. Thereafter we were told what package we bought and what our schedule would be. We were taken over to our room to freshen up for a relaxing evening and dinner. As divers we get our gear into the dive shack, set them up for our first dive and thereafter we did not have to touch our equipment as the dive staff did that on a daily basis. We were pampered and felt so at home and comfortable. The wall dive were spectacular with a vast amount of marine life. Our vacation was such a memorable one that since my first visit I have been visiting yearly for the past 15 years. This is definitely a place to come and relax and get that personal touch and family style environment. Very spacious for kids and family also.

Room Tip: My 1st reference in room was the private cabana overlooking the barrier reef.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank peepin
Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

This review is for the dive shop. We were staying at another place on the caye and directed to Blue Marlin if we wanted to dive. The lady wanted to learn to dive (I am certified). We were introduced to Carlos, who was very nice but, we ultimately learned, has a devil may care attitude. Very very bad when combined with diving.

Basically, he made two mistakes. For my girlfriend's first dive, he told us we were going to an island but stopped at an open ocean dive location that involved a backward entry into the water (i.e. a somersault), into 4 ft waves, on top of a 60 ft dive! Of course my girlfriend was notcomfortable and decided she would stay in the boat. But she wanted me to go on. I did but cut the dive short just to get on the boat to see how she was doing. I was shocked when Carlos had us ascend with no safety stop for decompression. 60 ft straight to the surface. This is how you get the bends.

To sum up, I found Blue Marlin incredibly unsafe and I would urge people not to dive there.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank MarkP_9
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

This is not really an island where you can walk off the sand into fantastic snorkling. You can snorkle straight off the beach, but there's not much to see, and this beach is round the other side of the island from where the cabins are. The beach by the cabins faces the wind and is not even nice for sunbathing.

The food is terrible. The chef seems to only cook one meal (salt fish); one one occasion my wife, who is vegetarian, got what I had, but rather than salt fish she got a slab of cheese! Fine dining!

If all you are interested in is fishing or going on snorkling / scuba trips by boat, and don't mind the food, this place would be great. If not, don't forget its a long way from the mainland!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank amos50
right coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

Highly recommended destination for opportunity to catch permit on fly. We had multiple shots at the fish during our six days of fishing. We caught permit, tarpon and a few small bonefish. Ivan Leslie is the best fishing guide I have fished with in four decades of fly fishing.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank permitpete
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

Southwater Caye is without a doubt, one of the most beautiful islands there is! It sits literally on top of the reef and you can snorkel/fish right off the beach. My family and I spent a week there during the summer and loved every minute of it. Not to mention the diving which is some of the best I've ever done!

Blue Marlin is an excellent lodge, with friendly and attentive staff, and a great local menu. The rooms, although decorated a little tacky, are great. The beds are comfortable, plenty of hot water and AC for the nights when the breeze isn't blowing. It's great to just sit in a hammock under a coconut tree, read a book and relax as the waves roll up onto the beach.

Since the lodge is quite small, there is plenty of space and you never feel crowded by the other guests. They take excellent care of the grounds and the cottages on the beach have an incredible view of the sea!

We thoroughly enjoyed Blue Marlin and will defiantly be going back!

• Liked — The sea, food and service
  • Disliked — I liked it all
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cayebway89
#2 of 11 in Hopkins
Thatch Caye Resort
Thatch Caye Resort
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay

Been to Blue Marlin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!