“Lush scenery I could spend all day in”
Review of Agua Azul

Ranked #28 of 142 things to do in Chiapas
Poole
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Lush scenery I could spend all day in”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Because I was travelling in a car with a Mexican family, I guess I was fortunate enough to arrive early in the morning before the main tourist groups came. It was just so refreshing to see the falls in morning light and discover more falls as I walked up the public path. I really enjoyed walking around the area taking pics from different angles and taking in the beautiful scenery that I could spend all day walking around this place. I called it "The Gem of Chiapas". I suppose you'd have to travel independently and spend a lot of time there to really appreciate it.

There are a couple of trails which the locals may charge you to enter. The chances are the fees doesn't cost much anyway and you get to see more angles of the falls plus a little walk into the jungle. I paid 25 Pesos to enter one trail and they gave me a guide for a little 15 minute tour.

As far as swimming goes, it is not possible to have a dip in almost all pools as the force of the water makes it too dangerous to swim in. Saying that, there are two "safe" places I know of which you can have a dip in. The first one is right next to the car park near an island with trees, and the second one is a calm pool near the top of the Agua Azul falls/terraces (via a lengthy walk to the top) which I've had a dip in myself.

There are numerous market stalls and a few eateries which run parallel along the path beginning from the car park, and as a heads up all public toilets charge a fee for 10 Pesos so have some change handy.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank RazorRen

• Hebrew first
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“swimming in paradise”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a really beautiful spot. A friend and I took a day trip by bus while staying in Palenque, and it was so worth it. The water is gorgeous, very refreshing, and the spot is not crowded. We hiked up the jungle trails, saw few people, and dipped in the water whenever we felt like it. I would recommend women hike with others, not solo, in this area.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank ErieMargaret
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“This is NOT ecotourism!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. Sure, the waterfalls are amazing, but the adjacent line of 'ranchos' selling food and souvenirs is appalling. The scenery has been completely ruined, people harass you to buy crap and they never leave you alone. It is so poor in taste, so environmentally unfriendly and plain ugly that I regretted paying for the tour to this place and rarely have I felt this way in any of my many trips. The worst thing is how they manipulate the concept of 'ecotourism', and use it as a marketing label with absolutely no meaning. Ecotourism is a concept, a concept about sustainability and environmental balance, it's not meant to be a marketing ploy. The concept of 'carrying capacity' also flew over their head. The hundreds of tour buses loaded with people made for one of the most horrible experiences I have ever had. If you love nature and want to go somewhere where nature has been respected, DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE. This is beyond terrible.

Visited July 2013
6 Thank Dora C
San Diego, California
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A trip of enchantment.”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We took the public transport from Palenque to the Agua Azul falls, it is a shorter than expected drive, and the reward starts from the beginning; the roar of the crystal waters welcomes you as soon as you descend from the small bus. As you get closer to the river, there is a moment when you have to adjust your eyes because the spectacular hue of the waters is something that you have to see for yourself to believe it. If you stay on the beaten path, you will still be able to enjoy the river, but if you feel adventurous and go upstream, you will be rewarded with tranquil waters and beautiful scenery. A word of caution, don't go too far by yourself, it is better to go in a group, for safety reasons, but still, I never heard of an incident in the place. An unforgettable trip, highly recommendable. If it was a hotel, it would be 5 a stars.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jose S
Copan, Honduras
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“When Agua Azul turns in Agua Marron”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Some rain turns a blue trickle into a brown torrent of cascading water. I personally prefer the volume of water on the cascades rather than the color of the water. The power of this flow becomes more apparent with the rains.

Take the paved path all the way to the end and view the cascades from the top down to the end. It is a beautiful site to behold.

Visited June 2013