“Not for sun-bathing”
Review of Villa Marmarine

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siquijor Island
Villa Marmarine
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I went to Villa Marmarine through the shore. At high tide, you can't spread a towel on the beach or lounging chair because the water will reach the area. However, its office and resto overlooks the sea, on an elevated portion. It specializes in diving although diving is done at Paliton Beach, several kilometers away. If you want to go diving, you get to Paliton Beach by boat or to some other areas as Apo Island or Balicasag in Bohol.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ain72337

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Island of Siquijor is an excellent place to visit! When you're looking for a beautiful and quiet beach you should definitely come to VIlla Marmarine. Don't come here if you're looking for entertainment and nightlife, but if you're looking for a lonely quiet beach this is the place to go.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mfrusch
Reviewed April 18, 2013

we were here for 2 nights. our expectations were really high because of very good reviews, but we were quite dissatisfied.
cottages are great and there is just amazing terrase with beatiful view on the sea. first warning was food in restaurant - quality was average, if not below average. chicken curry was just disguisting. staff looks friendly at first sight, but they are slow, incompetent, and there is always nobody around when you need something or want to order. most of the times the staff is just walking by you like you dont even exist, and they are chitchatting between each other, quite noisy. i understand that they are mostly working students, but still, you expect some standart for your money. beach is average, but sea is dirty and to swim is just impossible

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank trikoza
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in Villa Marmarine for 3 nights during the last week of March. The villa MATO is set in a beautiful garden with a double bed downstairs and twins upstairs. There is no AC but ceiling and standing fans are fine. The toilet is in a box in the lower room which is rather strange. Balconies up and down with partial view of beautiful sea. The terrace and room have wi fi, if needed in this lovely spot. The view from the restaurant is beautiful, deserted beach but the beach area in front could be improved. There are two lovely hammocks but three broken sun beds The staff, some of whom are working students, are extremely pleasant and helpful. Scooters are available for hire and a great fun way to tour around the island but could be better maintained, two we tried did not work and one broke down enroute. Overall our stay was relaxing and very enjoyable but the food was a real letdown. Good breakfasts but other meals disappointing, ranged from the honestly inedible to ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lynn G
Reviewed March 22, 2013

What a great place and the staff - just love them!!We stayed at Villa Marmarine for 4 nights in the Sayuri cottage, a 2 story cottage with 1 double bed and 3 singles on the second floor. No aircon - but with the breeze coming in through the bamboo walls and two fans next to the bed we didn't mind. Big mosquito net over the bed, but not many mosquitoes. The cottage has a big veranda with chairs and a hammock, facing the ocean.

We spent our days riding motorcycles around the island, you can rent them at the resort. The beach at Villa Marmarine is not good for swimming, but you find great beaches for that not far from the resort. We played tennis with other guests and staff at the resorts private tennis court.

You could have breakfast whenever you wanted during the day, and the restaurant have a great view. The food is good and service from the staff is great - they will help you with everything the best way they can.
The owner, Dagman, his wife and the rest of the staff, is the real reason that this resort just feels so good to be at. They give all their best for the guests and are the real Siquijors angels - helping so many children on Siquijor Island.

We hope to be back at Villa Marmarine soon!

Room Tip: Stayed in Sayuri - the family cottage
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Butterflies22
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at Villa Marmarine for 3 nights after a long journey from Sipalay to Siquijor. Was travelling alone and the only room that was available (besides the dorm) was the family cottage facing the beach (Sayuri). So yeah. I chose the cottage over the dorm (and also seeing that the price difference was still affordable for me!)

There was a balcony with chairs and a hammock facing the sea. And the room was huge! (And a little scary at night for me.) On the first floor was a queen size bed. Open air bathroom and a toliet (separate). Second floor which I only went up once consists of a small attic-looking window and 3 single beds (or was it 2? A little dark so I could not see very well). TV was on the first floor. No doubt there was no aircon and the water supply inconsistent at the shower area. It was a nice place to stay in. It was cooling throughout (due to the ceiling fan and a standalone fan) and I kept my doors to the balcony open to let in the sea breeze as long as I was in the room.

Meals were at the dining area that were facing the sea and there were a choice of al fresco or under the shade. Meal choices were not that varied but the food did taste good. And not forgetting the dessert every night that the owner's wife made that was on the house! Yummy!

Owners' a Japanese couple (husband - Dagman used to teach grade school in Japan) and everytime they walk past there would be some sort of greeting. And I guessed I made a fool of myself when without knowing how to ride a scooter. I rented one for a day (P300 only!) and fell off 4 times rewarding myself with cuts and bruises. Dagman remember and asked after me even though he was not the one I told about my accidents! Heartwarming to know that with every specialty stay/B&B that I stayed in. Given the small number of rooms. The owners make it a point to make you feel more welcome than that of the conventional hotels.

On top of those. With every 3 nights stay. There will be complimentary laundry service and buying of ferry tickets. There are a couple more but as I did not utilize them. I do not quite remember.

The coastline along Villa Marmarine was kinda rocky. So do wear your flip flops/booties when you decide to wander by the beach.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Villa Marmarine for two weeks in January 2013. After an extremely long and pretty much continuous journey from London we arrived on the shores of Siquijor by boat from Cebu City. It was dark, we were tired, the usual outer-being experience after long-haul. To the rescue came Villa Marmarine ! A tricycle took us from pier to resort and we were greeted with welcome drinks by some of the Marmarine 'family', a most friendly welcome and a great first impression, albeit in the dark. Exactly what I love about this part of the world, relaxed, friendly and stunningly beautiful.
During the duration of our stay we were treated like part of the Marmarine family ! As with much in this life, you get out what you put in and that goes for a place like this too. If you choose to be friendly and sociable then this will be reciprocated, certainly by all the fantastic staff at Villa Marmarine, likewise if you choose to be quiet and secluded then this is also a great place to come and your privacy will be respected. Infact without exception the staff at Villa Marmarine are respectful and polite, always.
Facilities include wi-fi, cable tv, mosquito nets, home cooked food all day including free dessert with evening meals courtesy of the owner, motorbike hire, diving and snorkelling equipment, dive trips and a tennis court !
As a tennis fan I enjoyed many wonderful games with the regular guys and girls from the resort on the tennis court and Dagman (the owner of the resort) gets fully involved with activities and lays on different things for people to do, if they so wish, like trips to see fireflies, games of various sorts played on the court and at tables (the Japanese do like their gaming !!) and the resort boat trips out to Apo Island for diving and snorkelling, the dive centre is on site.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend this place to the kind of traveller who is concerned with meeting great people, basing yourself in a fabulous location, enjoying a relaxed and friendly environment but not to the point of feeling overwhelmed by over-smiley, over-friendly and over-courteous staff which you might find at a slightly more main-stream resort and generally to a person like me - wants to chill, wants to eat good food, wants to hire motorbike, wants to go diving, wants to get acquainted with the locals and who misses the place even before he's departed and holds a little place in his heart for Mi Familia of Villa Marmarine forever !! x

Room Tip: Rooms here have Japanese names, our room sleeps two and is named 'Shige' and is the small co...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple