“We won't be going back!!”
Review of Coral Cay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Siquijor Island
Coral Cay Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Siquijor Island
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Unfortunately our time was marred by the very poor quality of service provided by the staff. The girls that worked in the restaurant made you feel like you were an inconvenience. I think the poor service all stems from the owners who where very unwelcoming. Also, unfortunately the beach was not particularly clean when we visited.

It may be worth noting that we did a day trip through the Coco Grove Resort, where even with limited dealings we had with the staff at this resort they seemed much more professional and on the whole the resort appeared of a much higher standard. Breakfast does not come with the room rate at Coral Cay whereas it does at Coco Grove – making the two resorts of comparable price!

We would not stay at Coral Cay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Laura_bristol_10

Reviewed August 10, 2011

You Will fond Much better places on the Island! .
Food very expensive and you always have the impression that you are disturbing the staff ... Quite unusual for a turist place in Philippines.
Beach has NO interest... Very
mudy. .

Very noisy room: karaoke nearby

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Gevaudan33
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Just spent 3 nights here in cottage 15 which was free-standing,spacious and had a living room with lounge suite, separate bedroom with AC and full sized bathroom. Also it is beachfront and probably the most secluded and private in the resort. Cottage was in fairly good order with a couple of things that are starting to show their age a little cosmetically (floor lamp and bar fridge) but overall the standard was good. I would rate the cottage at about 3 star on world standards.

Resort amenities are good and the grounds are pleasant and well laid out and cared for. Staff were very good, enthusiastic and very helpful. Food was good and had the atypical offerings that are made in western restaurants in the phillippines ( think 70's and 80's food styles). That is not to say that it was bad, just that like 99% of eating places in the country the menus are in a time warp.

There is wifi internet available at the restaurant and bar but alas it is not free and it is not cheap. 100 pesos per hour or 500 pesos per stay (up to 7 days). and it is abysmally slow and of course drops out when there is a power "brown out". For me paying for internet access in a hotel I am staying at is like paying to use the tv, it just feels soo "nickel and dime". I need regular access to the net for my business so it is a necessity for me. You dont need good access while at the hotel then not a problem for you.

Overall a good stay was had and I would probably stay there again if not for the wifi issue. Complimentary reasonably paced internet and Coral Cay will have me coming back every time I am on Siquidor.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Excellent accommodation. Good beach and pool. Absolutely overpriced food. Never (for 2 weeks) "good morning" from Helen.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Nick G
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed there for two days, July 18-19, 2011. On our first day it was raining so we decided to stay at the hotel.

We thought it would be a boring day for us but there is an entertainment area, where we can play billiards, board games, cable tv and a wifi for internet access. There's also a not so big but a decent pool.

Later that afternoon the weather was better so we decided to kayak(free) and we really enjoyed it. The sea was not so calm but it adds to the adventure.

The next day we hired their jeep for an island tour, a little bit pricey for me. But still we just enjoyed the scenery and the camaraderie.

As for the room, we stayed at Habagat room. It was a nice room. But not that clean and the water is not weak or strong its's so-so.

So here's my take on Coral cay:

Pros:

Amenities (free use of billiards,kayaks,board games,cable tv,wifi internet)
Service (good customer service esp. on the restaurant)

Cons:
Food is expensive
Rooms are not that clean (maybe because some rooms are made of native materials.) But doesnt mean its dirty may be 3 out of 5.
Island tour is expensive. 1,800 pesos for 6 hours. Not reasonable for me.

Overall, I'll give it 3 out 5. We really enjoyed our stay and ofcourse there will be some things that you would not like but you don't want to make it spoil your day.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We booked a room at this resort after reading a lonely planet review. We have traveled extensively in the Philippines. We were met at the pier by a jeepney and we had to wait while the drive attempted to ply more trade. On arrival at the front desk we were met by a very surly lady who didn't smile or greet us in the normal way of resorts in the Philippines. The ferry arrives at a late hour so we required dinner. The cook/chef looked at us like we were aliens and i wondered if he was going to spit in our food. They told us over the phone that the rooms were air conditioned and only the bedroom had a/c. The bathroom gave us a very unpleasant surprise in the form of a large black centipede which came scurrying out of the faucet and thankfully was unable to find it's way onto the floor as the ceramic allowed it no traction. Still took a good 5 minutes to kill the nasty creature with a bottle of shampoo. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I have slept on, back ache by morning. The mozzies were thick and hard to keep out of the room. The shower had either very, very hot or just warm. My wife was kept awake by the fear of being bitten by something in the night. Next day the staff were even less friendly so we hired a trike and went to look at other resorts. On checking out the staff gave us no assistance with our luggage and were even more unfriendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ausrock50
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This is a place we stayed last May 2011. I went there with my wife and 2 kids. The hotel amenities were good- from the rooms to the dining area to the pool. It offers a perfect view of the beach and is an ideal place for some peace and quiet. No TV in the rooms and internet can be accessed only in the dining area. If you are quite fond of your internet account and watching TV in your room, take note of this. My kids were not happy about it. But me and my wife were quite happy with that as it allowed us some real quiet time and we were able to talk without much distractions.

But the resort owner was sensible enough to provide customers with access to cable TV and internet in the common area. But it comes at a price. Internet is P100/hr or P500 unlimited use for the duration.

The rooms were neat offers very basic features. I was surprised they were able to put an aircon in a nipa hut type of house.

They also offer free use of their amenities- the gym, kayak, gameboards are free of use. This comes as a surprise as most resorts have them rented.

The service of the personnel were good. But I would have to say that they seem to have a bias with foreigners. I am a Filipino and it is quite disappointing to be treated like this in your own country.

The food is good. They offer a lot of choices. For the budget traveler, the food does not come cheap. I think food cost anywhere between P160-350 depending on your choice.

The pool is not that big and the water is salty. I was advised that it is a mixture of fresh and salt water.

Should you decide to explore Siquijor, you can ask the front desk to rent a motorcycle to get around the island. They can make pick-up and drop off arrangement as well. But it all comes with a fee.

Room Tip: Middle beach units provides the best view