All reviews helicopter ride outer reef infinity pool giant clams picnic lunch the great barrier reef tapas style secluded beach other guests fishing trip the general manager understated luxury private charter generator noise incredible staff daily excursions sav blanc
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Orpheus Island is a undiscovered treasure!! it delivered on our expectations and beyond... From the moment the helicopter landed until the time we waved goodbye. The facilities, activities and food were amazing and a special thankyou to the wonderful staff, Ari, Ryan, Kristy, Gab, Steph, Jason, Alex and Katherine.

Room Tip: All rooms a water view - so whatever you pick you will be content.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Claire R
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Orpheus Island provided us with the quintessential tropical island getaway for our special wedding anniversary. From the moment we landed after the spectacular helicopter flight we were treated as friends on a private island by Alex, Kat and the staff. Whether it was relaxing by the beautiful infinity pool, reef walking with Ari and Ryan to collect oysters and other interesting seafood for dinner, participating in the well managed activities or just being left alone, this resort met or exceeded all our expectations. It was very hard to single out the highlights as the pool, snorkeling, dining, cultural tour and garden walk were all fabulous. We had a great night with guests staff and media at cocktails around a fire on the beach followed by barbecue around the bar. However the special dining for two on the jetty on a warm tropical evening would be hard to beat anywhere. Wonderful time with special new friends!

Room Tip: Rooms in the new villas on north side are quiet and have classic ocean views through coconut palms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked in for the Spanish foodie weekend together with friends. Due to expected rough seas we were helicoptered in from Ingham. The entire 3 days were spoiled to the max. The new manager, Alex, who had only been on the island a few weeks, went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Every night we sampled a variety of Spanish dishes matched by a variety of Spanish wines. The chef and somelier had been specially flown in from Melbourne and were very knowledgeable. On our last day we had a cooking class at the bar and the chef cooked Paella on the beach. We also enjoyed a tinnie ride with a well stocked picnic basket. As locals we were very interested in the gardens and the knowledgeable gardener gave us a tour and many tips in how to improve our home tropical gardens. There are still improvements that can be made to the property but these things will take time. A massage would have been great and could be a great money spinner for the resort! All the staff were great and nothing was too much. We loved Alex's impromptu piano recital! I love it when most drinks are included in your stay and although this package was more expensive than normal the wines were rare and very interesting. With so many Australian island resorts closed closed down we wish Orpheus all the best!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Truus B
Reviewed October 12, 2012

When you think of a tropical island, Orpheus Island is it. Often quiet with minimal guests you are often left with the illusion of having the island all to yourself. We just wanted to enjoy the weather and relax and it's the perfect place to do so. The food was so delicious and the chefs Ari and Ryan are certainly talented. All the staff were friendly and took us out fishing and snorkeling on the great barrier reef which was certainly an amazing experience. Lazy cocktails by the pool, warm nights, it was just a dream holiday. Thanks so much!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean facing so are all good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed at Orpheus Island for a special treat for three nights in September and absolutely loved it. Although it's expensive, it was great to know the cost up front and there were no hidden extras. All meals, activities and drinks were included, so we didn't spend anything extra. Of course we could have if we wanted to, as a full bar was provided but as the house white wine, sparkling, red wine and beer were all perfectly fine.

I was a little worried about this island being a bit pretentious but I needn't have been. From the moment we got there we were made to feel welcome and the staff were friendly. It was a most relaxed atmosphere and quite laid back. We were welcomed by the new managers, Alex and Cat and given a delicious welcoming drink by Ari the chef. It had fruit and liqueur and coconut and I could have happily drunk a bucketful. We sat down to a 'light' lunch of about six small dishes which were all delicious. I think I put on at least two kilos there as every mouthful of every meal was so good. Lunch was followed by our 'Dining With The Tides' experience, where we had a romantic candlelit dinner on the pier. The seafood is very fresh...in fact some of it is caught by the guests. I tried to resist the cooked breakfast...considering I'd had muesli and fruit too but I couldn't. But I guess a place like Orpheus isn't about restraint. Ari knew we liked chilli and made us some great chilli sauce too. It would have to be some of the best, consistently good food I've eaten.

The rooms were beautifully decorated yet uncluttered and the view from my front decking was of a hammock swinging between two palm trees, with a blue ocean and sky in the background. To the side was the infinity pool, which looked amazing. The view changed as the day progresses as when the tide goes out, there is a huge mangrove beach and although perhaps not as pretty, it was nice to walk along when the tide was out as the rocks and roots made some great photos.

Each day there is an activity, with a sunset trip to see the giant clam beds on the first night. On our first full day there, we went snorkelling. We saw so many different species of fish, coral, giant clams. I just wish I had a waterproof camera. On the second day, we went fishing while two of the other guest who had 'eloped' were married on the lawn. I had my doubts when the hand lines came out, thinking that we weren't going to catch anything on those but within a few minutes the first fish was caught. I caught the fish of the day, which was a huge red emperor apparently. The fish all went into the esky to be cooked up the next day. My husband is the only one on the boat who didn't catch a fish and a couple of the other guest felt sorry for him so they all agreed to go out early the next morning in a dinghy so he could catch one..he did.

My favourite experience was one that wasn't organised. While my husband was lazing by the pool, I took a canoe out to the edge of the bay, The water was so calm it was really easy to paddle. So I went back to the pier and made my husband grab two glasses of champagne and we both paddled out to watch the sunset and sip champagne, circled by a cute little reef shark (not the dangerous kind!).

Other things I liked...the toiletries were in big bottles so there was none of the wastage that you get in other hotels. I guess that's important when you think that all the rubbish has to be taken out by barge. The toiletries also smelt great too. Nice special teas in the room and a stocked mini bar, all included. Everyone gets an Orpheus drink bottle to keep, handy for taking on walks. Magically, afternoon snacks would appear in our fridge.

My only suggestion would be that they need a small gym as I felt I needed to shed a few calories. Apparently there used to be one pre renovations and I think that for the price, that should be on offer.

All in all, it felt like a holiday with friends rather than an anonymous stay in a big resort. We met some great people and have swapped photos. Loved sharing the post wedding celebrations. The staff encourage a relaxed atmosphere. They would ask if we would like a drink but I liked being able to just walk up to the fridge and help myself too. And I think as a final really nice touch, Ari knew we had a long wait at Townsville airport, so he made us a packed lunch. The only thing I was disappointed in was that our fishing trip was on the last day, so we didn't get to eat the fish feast from our catch but everyone assured us they'd enjoy it for us!

Thanks to Kim, Sam and Steff for their friendly service, Ari and Ryan for brilliant food, Jackie for organisng everything boating wise and Alex and Cat for their organisation (great guitar playing Alex!)...and all the other behing the scenes people.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple