“Enjoyed by all. Better second time around!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lady Elliot Island
Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
new york
“Enjoyed by all. Better second time around!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

I am the owner of a Travel Agency in NY and just returned from LE Aug 18 2009. I visited the resort in 1985 when it first opened for tourism.
This is not an island for those seeking a large resort with all the frills but rather for those looking for a quite place and a back to nature expierence without really ruffing it.
I found the Island just as pristine as before only better. The rooms are all clean and
and modern. The furnishings had been upgraded. Staff on island were very friendly and helpful. Dive staff was very good and equipment upto date.
Food quality was very good. Nice selection and the buffet style left no one hungry.
This Island is for nature lovers and people that want to snorkle and dive and gaze at the stars at nite. Weather in August was great. Warm sunny days and sweatshirts at nite.
My kids (ages from 15 to 21) loved the place. They enjoyed the snorkeling ,reef walks and the diving. My daughters who had been to luxury Caribbean Resorts & were skeptical before arriving (I told them it was no frills) throughly got into the Island and had a great expierence.
The management team has proved that you can upgrade a resort without ruining it's charm!!,
Again, this Island is NOT for those who can't turn off their cell phones for a few days!!
I rated this resort 5 stars because it is 5 stars for the type of resort that it is. I am not
comparing it to a Hyatt.

Enjoy if you go!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank empresstravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Polish first
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

Having read some of the reviews on this site we headed to the island with fairly low expectations. I'd warned the boys it would be like heading to a campsite. In some respects it was. It's very low key with fairly basic facilities however the snorkelling is FANTASTIC! Our boys are 12 and 14 and they were blown away with what they saw underwater. The beauty of this island is that the fish are visible when you are ankle deep in water. You don't have to worry about catching a boat out to a reef - it's right there. We put our complimentary wetsuits (a long 5mm wetsuit was necessary in July) and snorkels and entered a world brimming with all the colours of the rainbow. There were so many fish it was hard to take it all in. We also saw turtles, one of which approached us and allowed my son to hold on to it's shell and get towed along. Turtles like to have their shells scratched and we all obliged! They can easily swim away from humans if they are not happy but this one hung around for quite a while. We also saw 2 whales passing the island and one lady reported seeing 5 as she took a morning walk around the island. They were breaching (lungeing out of the water and crashing down)
For a family this is a wonderful experience. The food was plentiful. There rooms were basic but clean and were serviced daily. Fresh towels were readily available. The staff were ALL extremely helpful and several of the main staff have Marine Science degrees. Nick is a fountain of knowledge and didn't tire of my boy's questions. Put it this way - my boys thought this was "heaps better than the theme parks".

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank kiwifamAuckland
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

We had a wonderful time at the island. We took the morning flight from Hervey Bay and it looked a lot longer than 2 days. As it is the only resort it is an all inclusive.
We did a reef walk with a marine biologist, she was very knowledgeable and nice. She told us so much about the animals that lived their and their use of the ecosystem.
Took a boat trip to the reef. Unfortuntely it was quite cold to snorkel an my son and I got out fairly quickly. the next day we booked an extra trip, because the other boat was full we got our own boat with driver and the marine biologist, great! We snorkelled heaps and saw lots of fish. Even a couple of huge turtles. Fantastic.
We slept in the tent. Not very flash but ok. The birds make a lot of noise at night. It sounds like a crying baby. The sunset is fantastic, not to be missed.
We went snorkelling from the beach as well, you do however need to be careful of the strong currents.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Polly0
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

Let me make it clear from the start that me and my husband only did a day trip to the Island so cannot comment on the rooms. But I wanted to leave a review as we had the best day of our hoilday on the Island. The plane trip out was great and we were met by friendly staff who took us on a short tour of all the places we needed to know about ie dive shop, lockers, toilets etc.
We had a quick snorkell refresher in the pool and then went out on the glass bottom boat for a dive. It was quite simply amazing. We saw a turtle and heaps of lovely fish and felt very safe in the water with the staff also snorkling with us. On the way back to shore we saw a manta. We managed to hit the Island on a very stormy day and the boat ride was very very bumpy but fun! We then had a lovely buffet lunch and did the reef walk in the pouring rain but with a lovely guide before retuning to the plane to sadly fly home.
I would love to go back and stay for a night next time. Sure the birds were a bit smelly but nothing you couldn't cope with and it didn't cause us any problems. The resort was a bit old looking but who cares the whole day was amazing! I can well recommend a day trip here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ruthieti
South West England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

Yes, it is expensive, but what an experience. The wildlife is amazing (mainly birds & turtles when we were there) and the view from our Island Suite was out of this world. The staff were very friendly & knew their stuff when it came to the island & its wildlife.

We flew from Bundaberg & the views from the aircraft added to the experience.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esperanto-uk
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

Lady Elliot Island is a unique coral cay at the very southern end of the Great Barrier Reef. I decided I wanted to take my two teenage sons to see the reef, and only had time available in January. This is a time of year when the weather in North Queensland is unpredictable and often cyclonic (as hurricanes and typhoons are known locally). It is also staggeringly hot and unpleasant. So I looked for the best coral cay accommodation, as far south as I could get and Lady Elliot Island was the answer. We stayed there for 4 nights. I wanted to stay on a coral cay to avoid the hour long boat trips that are necessary if you want to visit the reef from most Queensland island resorts.

The Island offered exceptional reef for diving and snorkeling (two of us dive). We had six dives, and saw turtles, sharks and manta rays (there are about 40 that live around the island) on almost every dive. Even the snorkelers saw rays, sharks and mantas. Late January is nesting season for the tens of thousands of sea birds that use the Island. It is also nesting season for the hundreds of turtles that use the island (we saw turtles laying eggs, and also hatchings while we were there).

As an experience of a vibrant coral cay ecosystem, it was simply extraordinary and we loved it.

As a resort, it is far from perfect, but is tolerable. The accommodation is -very- basic. It is generally old, and barely maintained. It was generally clean, although there was quite a bit of mould and corrosion. Being nesting season, the entire resort is constantly recovered with guano. The staff clean most seats daily. Although distinctive, the smell is generally not overpowering. The trade winds keep the smell to an ok level. The noise is constant and around the clock. We found it soothing, a little like surf in the background and slept well. The only accommodation with air conditioning are the "suites". These are fibro demountable huts, similar to those found on remote mine sites. At this time of the year there is generally a trade wind, but on still days, it can be extremely humid and uncomfortable. The food is university refectory standard, at best. We found the staff lovely, many were marine biology students.

There is little else to do except dive or snorkel. The resort does make some effort to organise bird, turtle and historical tours during the day. The pool is smaller that most backyard suburban pools and is really only suitable for small children.

The dive shop staff were great. Equipment was generally fairly new and well maintained. Dives were well organised. Almost all dives were at around 18 metres, which surprised us as much of the coral at 12 metres was more interesting. The deeper dives did result in more mantas, however. Dives involve a 3 minute ride in a golf buggy across the island to the boat, gear on, buddy check, then a 3 minute ride out to the edge of the surrounding reef. Extremely convenient diving.

Things you might want to take include a traveler’s peg less clothes line, reef shoes, batteries, Ipods and books for entertainment (there is no bar scene). There are no phones (satellite phone available for outbound calls), newspapers (but they can be ordered), or television.

We thought the Island was simply amazing, but four nights in the resort facilities was about our limit. It would perfectly suit someone who was simply looking for maximum dive time. I did not really do a value comparison against other cay accomodation on the Geat Barrier Reef because of my selection criteria mentioned above.

• Liked — The Island itself.
  • Disliked — The resort accomodation.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank cunim
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

I organised a surprise trip for my wife to Lady Elliot Island for our 1st wedding anniversary. I found the reservations staff friendly and well spoken when I booked our 2 night trip back in September 2008. Between then and our arrival I spoke with both the reservations department and the customer relations manager on the island several times, and they were both professional and knowledgeable, offering many suggestions on how I could make our trip more special once we arrived.

Upon arrival at Hervey Bay Airport, we were greeted by an Island representative and swiftly checked in for a 30 minute plane flight to the island. I was lucky enough to be seated next to the pilot for our plane trip and loved it. On arrival into Lady Elliot we were greeted by a staff member who took us on a quick tour around the common areas of the island. The initial smell wasn’t that bad from the birds and you soon get used to it. The staff member showed us to our reef unit, wished us a happy anniversary from all the staff and gave us a complementary bottle of champagne. I was quite impressed. The room was 5 meters from the water, average size, fully refurbished and comfortable. Bathroom was a good size and fully functional. I was thrilled, especially after reading some bad reviews. Our bag was waiting for us in our room.

We spent the next 2 nights/ 3 days snorkelling with turtles, admiring the coral, participating in island tucker tours and a night stalk, releasing baby turtles on the beach and just relaxing and taking in the serenity. It was just awesome.

My wife is a bit of a food snob, so I was a little concerned prior to arrival about the meals. I had nothing to worry about. The buffet dinner was plentiful and good quality. Everything from oysters kilpatrick to beer battered fish and home made apple crumble. The menu changed on both nights.

Breakfast was your standard hotel buffet style, but cooked on the alfresco BBQ. It was good. I recommend buying lunch from the all day café menu. Good prices considering everything is flown in. $9 chicken caesar wrap – could feed 2 people it was that big and $7 nachos. We enjoyed plenty of the $12.50 cocktails from the bar.

I recommend at least 2 nights if not more on the island. Not all tours run everyday. We were lucky to do what we wanted to. You’ll love it and won’t want to leave like we did.

Upon departure we were thrilled to have the same pilot that flew us across. He was a competent and relaxed bloke who asked me if I wanted to sit up front again. The returning flight went via Bundaberg and was excellent.

If you’re after an isolated island, no phones or TV, a relaxing and eco friendly atmosphere then this is the place for you. Don’t go here if you’re expecting room service, day spas, luxury trimmings etc. You’ll just whinge like previous reviewers.

The staff were all friendly and knew their stuff. The resort is being refurbished and is probably of a 3 ½ star standard. All I can say is give it a go, you’ll love it. Cheers.

• Liked — Refurbished Reef Unit - Comfy new queen sized bed
  • Disliked — No air conditioning
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank SamoSydney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lady Elliot Island
Paradise Bay Island Resort
Paradise Bay Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Long Island
Mantra Sirocco
Mantra Sirocco
#2 of 15 in Mooloolaba

Been to Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort? Share your experiences!