“A Special Place with a Special Hostess”
Review of Casa La Ventana

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boca de Tomatlan
Casa La Ventana
“A Special Place with a Special Hostess”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I had 5 magic days staying at Christina's Casa. Apart from the delicious breakfasts. Christina organised sea kayaking trips, yoga and massage, special dinners in Boca and just anything that guests wanted to do.I loved it all and we were lucky with the warm winter weather. Thank you again Christina - as well as Chuppa and Xochiel, your friendly and supportive staff. I'll be back!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank sodifficult

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Montrose, California
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend our anniversary at Casa La Ventana this past October. It is easily one of the most enjoyable places we've stayed. Christina is an excellent hostess, and went out of her way to make us feel comfortable. Our first night at CLV had that certain magical quality that good vacations produce.

I'm a birder, so I got up early the first morning and let my wife sleep in. It was pretty great watching the sun come up. It was quiet at first, but suddenly all the insects took off as soon as the sun came over the mountain, and that's when the activity began. White collared and chestnut collared swifts appeared in the sky above. Golden cheeked woodpeckers, Mexican cacique, social flycatchers, rufous backed robins, masked tityra, and orange fronted parakeet were easily viewed from my balcony.

Breakfast was delivered to us after all this excitement and was excellent. As we ate, an iguana dropped by to say hello in a tree next to the balcony. A West Mexican Chachalaca later briefly appeared right outside our front door.

We later took a suggested hike through the jungle along the coast to a restaurant that most tourists get to by boat. Christina said to keep an eye out for Military Macaws as we hiked. This suggestion proved accurate, as they flew overhead a number of times, but comically just as any view of the sky was blocked by trees.

I later saw the Military Macaws from my balcony. It was a pretty big rush. I'm very pleased with my stay there. If we ever visit PV again, we will definitely be staying here. Boca is far enough outside of PV that it is pretty tranquil, and there are a lot of birds. I'm glad we decided to spend most of our trip here, instead of San Blas, as our time at Casa La Ventana was much more enjoyable than our time up at San Blas. I also recommend hiring Alejandro Martinez Rodriguez as a guide. He got me almost everything I was looking for, including rosy thrush tanager.

I should warn those that do not like to walk that it is a bit a of trek up to the hotel, which is what makes it so special. You have to cross a bridge and hike for about 10 minutes up the hill to get to CLV. We were there at the end of the rainy season, so we also had to cross through a small stream. If you are looking for a mega hotel that could be found in Florida, look elsewhere. Casa La Ventana is for those who are looking for a more authentic experience, and the rewards that such an experience provides.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CMartell, Owner at Casa La Ventana, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for this informative birder's perspective on Casa La Ventana. I am so happy to hear that it meets a professional birder's expectations. Return soon! Return often. I always love the new insights of our birder friends and find my eye being trained under your tutelage.
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at Casa la Ventana and loved it. It is real Mexico in a lovely little fishing village situatied on the ocean. The steps to the guest rooms (about 80) and to the eating area (about 100) are not for the faint of heart and actually serve as an excellent "fitness center".
The breeze off the ocean kept our room cool and very pleasant. Christina and Don were very gracious hosts, served great breakfasts, arranged local tours and did everything they could to make our stay pleasant, enjoyable and memorable. The bus service for traveling to other locations was also excellent. I would highly recommend this retreat to anyone wanting a real taste of Mexico,..
John Heimer & Marie Meyer

Room Tip: The rooms are clean, lovely and well kept daily..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John467_13
Sewanee, Tennessee
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My family and I enjoyed a wonderful vacation at Casa La Ventana. Christina is a wonderful hostess, making arrangements for adventures like zip lining and lunching while watching death defying cliff diving. Her style is casual and gracious. Her recommendations and facilitation were based on our expressed interests, and I never felt pressured to do anything. Indeed, doing nothing and doing it well were on our agenda and Casa La Ventana was a great place to sleep late, read a book by the pool and wander down to the beach for a mid-afternoon snack of coconut shrimp and cold drinks. While my immediate family numbered three, on Christmas eve we numbered six and the three spacious and luxurious guestrooms with wonderful private bathrooms accomodated us and additional family staying nearby in great comfort. We all look forward to our next visit. Some of the criteria below deserve some explanation. CLV is located in the very authentic river, mountain and beach community of Boca de Tomatlan. This is NOT cookie cutter tourist country like so much of what I saw in Puerto Vallarta. The town is full of children, friendly dogs and chickens. Morning noises include some traffic on Rt 200, some roosters crowing and some dogs barking. Late at night, the authentic banda and rancho musica wafts up from the local watering hole. My wife sleeps with ear plugs, because I snore. I don't think the early morning noises bothered her in the least. For me, the noises were less bother and more flavor. While there is no fitness center per se, I find that most in US hotels aren't worth the bother. At CLV, the self-directed yoga by the pool, the pool itself, stair runs and hikes to Colomitos and Las Animas make for plenty of fitness. Childrens activities include the mentioned fitness activities and also the many cultural and exploration opportunities which are so abundant in the local region.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just south of Puerta Villarta is an authentic slice of Mexican culture that should not be missed. The village of Boca la Tomatlan is bisected by a clean, sand-bottomed little stream, which makes a U-turn near the ocean and forms the most delightful sand bar. It is a fantastic place to unwind. The place to stay in Boca is the Casa La Ventana. It is new and nice, and the hostess, Christina, is in a class all her own, and we have traveled the world over. If you want to add some adventure to your Mexican vacation, head for the Casa la Ventana just a few miles south of Puerta Villarta.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Even though I´ve been to Boca many times this was the first time I stayed there. To start with Christina the owner is a wonderful person who makes you feel special and right at home. Her place Casa la Ventana is so beautiful and so romantic. The rooms are very comfortable, the views incredible. You get your coffee in your terrace and breakfast as well and it feels so relaxed. All in all it was a great experience, and its the real little village feel, with its music, its roosters and donkeys and the whole atmosphere. Plus you have the beach and the river right there. I loved it.

Room Tip: They are all good with views
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Duvall, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed with Christina last November and it was the perfect trip to celebrate our anniversary. The food was delicious! It was amazing to wake up in the morning and be right in the middle of the jungle. The accomadations were beautiful and Christina was a wonderful host. From the trip to the Marietta Islands, to the hikes to the beaches south of Boca, to dinner in PV, to the massage in the tree house, it was a wonderful vacation. We can't wait to return and stay with Christina again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hotel Lagunita
Hotel Lagunita
#2 of 4 in Yelapa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#4 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa Lala Boutique Hotel
Villa Lala Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boca de Tomatlan

Been to Casa La Ventana? Share your experiences!