“Flexible and Understanding Reservation Policies”
Review of Casa La Ventana

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boca de Tomatlan
Casa La Ventana
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I booked my honeymoon with La Casa Ventana this past spring. It was highly recommended by a family member with several friends who had visited in the past and had a wonderful time. I contacted the owner, Christina, via e-mail. She was very helpful immediately and went to the trouble of scheduling a phone conversation to go over the details and explain the different activities offered in the area. Since we were planning on visiting during the rainy season, she made sure we knew that the afternoons might be on the rainy side and we would have to plan our outings accordingly. She was very up-front and practical about what Mexico is like during the rainy season. She asked us to e-mail her our flight itinerary in order to assist us in figuring out how to get from the airport to La Casa Ventana, which was also very helpful.

The twist to the story is that a couple months later (2 months before wedding and honeymoon), my fiancé broke up with me and cancelled the wedding abruptly. I was obviously shocked and upset, and I went about cancelling our plans and attempting to get some of our deposits back from the different vendors.

I e-mailed Christina at La Casa Ventana and explained the situation. The next day she wrote back and was extremely sympathetic and understanding. We talked on the phone and Christina was kind enough to grant me a one week credit at La Casa Ventana good for up to one year, as well as refund me $300 to use towards plane fare. Needless to say, she was very generous and flexible in a tough situation.

I would recommend La Casa Ventana to anyone looking for a fair, professional establishment with an owner who has a kind heart and a fair sense of business!

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 3, 2011

We had a marvelous time. We were only able to get 4 nights but it is such a marvelous get away nestled high up the valley side with a spectacular view.
Getting there was a bit of a challenge-we recommend having Casa arrange the taxi as our taxi driver had no idea where he was going.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Casa La Ventana is an amazing place! If I were to share one place in all this world with all my friends and family and loved ones, Casa La Ventana is it! The wonderful, fun and talented Miss Christina is the most gracious and knowledgable hostess, besides being such an amazing chef that she had this vegetarian eating seafood! Mind you the seafood was caught that morning by a local man that had taken us on a sunset boat ride to set his nets the previous night.
Miss Christina's property is botanically beautiful and tended to by a local man named Chapa who, for a small tip, will deliver fresh, warm tortillas to your door. Chapa's wife Xochial is Christina's right-hand when it comes to the cooking and the cleaning... and she has mastered both! My room was impeccably clean and well-kept my entire stay. I had the privilege of dining upstairs numerous times and each meal was better than the last... simply fresh and amazing and so pretty!!! And my massage in the tree-top area simply felt like heaven, a MUST for the experience and price!
A short walk from the pueblo of Boca and the beach, Casa La Ventana is the perfect home-base for day trips to PV (just a short bus trip), Yelapa and Los Animas (just a short boat ride) and the Botanical Gardens (where a lunch and a wander are priceless!).
Miss Christina helped me to enjoy myself in Mexico with knowledge that you can't get from a tour book. Hikes to secluded beaches, interaction with locals and their families, native cuisine prepared for kings, and all this in a beautiful setting! Tucked into the world of mountains and ocean, river and beach, Casa La Ventana is simply Joyous!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I emailed Christina several times before prepaying our 3 nights vacation stay. However after expressing a problem with my knees was told that as long as I took my time and rested I should have no troubles. This albeit a lovely place is very much an obstacle course to get to the first stairs of the B & B.There is no lighting on the public path to reach the stairs if you can call it a path with large boulder like stones to cross.There are also 2 bridges with stairs to cross over the river which does not have any railings. Do not arrive in the evening without supplies for your evening meal. We were offered a credit good for one year. So threw away our money as won't be able to use it! Very exspensive lesson to learn as we also had to find more accomadation! Only for the fit!

Room Tip: Ask what the view is from room. River or ocean???
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PaulLake
Mayadelaplaya, Owner at Casa La Ventana, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2011

As owner of Casa La Ventana, I feel blessed that there has been only one disgruntled "almost" guest here at Casa La Ventana and an abundance of return guests who praise our inn and service.

At Casa La Ventana, we pride ourselves in doing everything possible to ensure that prospective guests are aware that Casa La Ventana is not handicapped accessible and that there are stairs to our inn. We are always available to assist people in any way possible to ensure their arrival is easy and pleasant. We have had numerous guests with knee replacements and hip replacements who return often to Casa La Ventana with no concerns about access and most guests praise our stairs as a personal fitness "wake-up" and incentive to attend to better health practices.

I would like potential visitors to understand that while it is true that there are no railings on the one foot bridge across the river with six steps mid-way, it is adequately wide and is very passible. The trail from the foot bridge to Casa La Ventana is very passible and has only a one or two steps in few places. We have provided a concrete base for easy passage in most areas. The trail and stairs are very well lit at night to the inn and more lighting has been added in recent months. Given that these guests arrived during the day and left shortly thereafter, they did not have an opportunity to enjoy the lighted pathway in the evening.

It is true that this guest emailed several times before her arrival letting me know that she had wanted to visit for two years and had finally made the decision to do so, even though she acknowledged she had knee problems and was fully aware of the stairway to the Casa. I responded to her that the decision would need to be hers, given that I was not personally familiar with her mobility limitations. We post photos on our website, Facebook page and Trip Advisor so that people have a realistic understanding of our setting. She chose to move forward with her reservation having full knowledge of our cancellation policy.

The day that this guest was to arrive, our staff waited for hours to greet and assist them. They did not arrive. Later we received a message that they had met some "new friends" in Puerto Vallarta who had invited them to spend the night with them and they would not be arriving until the next day. They did not indicate an arrival time for the next day and, although I had a previous appointment to attend to that day, staff was waiting to assist them when they did arrive. I returned to the inn within 30 minutes of their arrival to find that they had left with their luggage independent of any assistance from our staff. Unfortunately, they did not wait to meet with me or explore options for a comfortable stay, which we would have gladly provided.

If they would have relaxed a few minutes in their very comfortable and beautiful accomocations while I returned to greet them, they would have known that we offer catered meals served in their guest quarters (even though they had a fully furnished kitchen in their guest quarters) or would have facilitated several "to go" options from local restaurants. This information is also posted on our website and in the information book located in each guest quarter.

Although these guests did not arrive for their first night's stay and hastely left independently with no luggage help from staff, I extended a full year credit for even their first night "no-show" with provisions for transferability to family or friends as an effort of good faith and respect.

Reviewed May 8, 2011

I got to stay at Casa La Ventana two months ago and have thought of it fondly nearly every day since I got back to Colorado. I traveled there with girlfriends and Christina took great care of us. She is generous with her knowledge about things to do and graciously sets up excursions with people who are unmatched guides and/or service providers. Don't miss a massage on the top level. Also, make sure that you have breakfasts included in your stay. Christina and her staff make beautiful breakfasts. My favorite was a pineapple, sliced in half and filled with granola, fresh fruit and creme freche. Delicious! This is a magical place. You will not regret booking your stay at Casa La Ventana

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank LisaCirincione
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Casa La Ventana is a perfect get-away. It's tucked away in Boca de Tomatlan. Although Boca is only about a 30 minute bus ride (70 cents one way) from Puerto Vallarta, it's relaxing and carefree environment makes the hustle and bustle of Vallarta seem like a world away.
The morning coffee delivered to your room and the wonderful breakfast, alone, make the trip to Casa La Ventana well worth it. The rooms are beautifully decorated and clean with views of the surrounding lush, green mountains. Boca's beach is a short walk away from Casa La Ventana and, even better, several pristine and isolated beaches are within a 30 to 60 minute hike or short boat ride.
If you want chlorinated pools, crowded beaches, and the typical beach 'scene' do not proceed to Boca. For example, neighborhood roosters may be your alarm clock as opposed to late night partiers. If you want tranquility and a place truly off the beaten path, proceed immediately to Casa La Ventana.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LovesToUsePassport
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Imagine... awakening in the morning under a gauzy bed canopy while gentle rays of sunshine stream in to light your day, hearing tropical birds calling and a sprinkling of roosters crowing in the distance. Your beautifully carved french doors allow you to step onto your tiled balcony and look out from your hilltop perch in wonder at the sparkling bay below , seeing jewel toned boats floating in the river. Perhaps you may take a leisurely shower surrounded by colorful and tasteful spanish tiles and a fresh breeze coming into the window while you can gaze out at lush greenery, feeling very private in your newfound oasis.
Then the tough decisions begin. Breakfast on the treetop terrace, or in your room on your private terrace?? We choose the treetop terrace and enjoyed the easy ambience of others, and the truly delightful and loving care of our hostess, Christina, and her wondrous staff who catered to our every whim, and some we hadnt thought of. Breakfast was to die for...fresh fruit artfully presented, with eggs or granola/yogurt, freshly baked breads, and coffee in abundance. A joy each and every day of our weeks stay.
My coworker and I enjoyed leisurely times of playing on our computers, corresponding with friends and making them envious of our newly found treasure at Casa La Ventana, playing card games in the tree house, reading quietly, napping, lazy walks to the village to sample local vendor's wares, eat lunch at Ramon's cafe on the beach, sip tequila, regular visits to the tasty little taco stand, and sipping more tequila! Also, the best and most surreal massage experiences you can imagine.
When we felt like more adventure, there was no limit to our choices. Puerto Vallarta is an easy and beautiful short bus trip. The coast line here reminds me of a blend of Italy, Greece and Mexico. How can you go wrong?? There are music festivals, art walks, shops, restaurants and a wonderful promenade walkway to stroll for miles. We were always happiest to return to our "Boca nest" at Casa La Ventana at the end of the day. Within 10 minutes are hikes galore, a local zoo, botanical gardens, zip line rides, lively water taxi trips to some villages that have no other form of transportation, where writers, and poets abound in search of the perfect form of expression easily inspired by their surroundings. We took a horseback ride that was out of this world. Not your average rentahorse walkathon. Our hostess is masterful at making arrangements for any thing you can dream of and has a delightful way of not pressuring you, and making certain your needs are well met and more.
Our dining experiences were memorable. My mouth still waters thinking about them. The local cafe owners are creative, talented, and warm. We loved one of our dinners so much, that we bought an extra one to take back to the B&B. We couldnt get enough of the flavors, so enjoyed it again at 10pm before bed.
The grand finale was an amazing dinner at a place called Le Kliff. Talk about a setting!! OMG> You feel like you have entered a Morrocan, Italian, Mexican cliff side treasure. Indescribable, so you'll have to go and see for yourselves.
Well, I could go on and on about Casa La Ventana, our hostess with the mostest, and surroundings. Instead, call that airline, and get yourselves down there. It is truly a one of a kind. very special and spiritual journey to stay there.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
#78 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa Lala Boutique Hotel
Villa Lala Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boca de Tomatlan

Been to Casa La Ventana? Share your experiences!