“Very nice hotel in an absolutely lovely location”

Grand Hotel Imperiale
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moltrasio
Reviewed July 9, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel from an arduous journey from southern Italy, I was in a horrible mood. I complained about everything and the staff at the hotel did everything they could to help make me happy. My biggest complaint, and I find this almost everywhere in Europe, is the poor lighting next to the beds. When I called down to the front desk informing them that I was a reader and needed to see when I read in bed, they immediately had someone bring me a better lamp. They also worked hard to satisfy my other concerns. I am giving the Grand Hotel Imperiale a 5 star rating based on it's appropriately designated 4 star hotel status. The hotel is a bit dated and is not the "fanciest" of hotels I've stayed in (but these "fancy" hotels have a much fancier price) but based on the price, the Grande Hotel Imperiale is a very good value for what it offers. It is very lovely hotel in an even lovelier locale--I LOVE LAKE COMO--and the concierge, particularly Diego, couldn't have been more accommodating. I booked this hotel before leaving for a Mediterranean cruise and while on the cruise, we changed plans which subsequently added nights to my stay in Como. I corresponded with Diego from the ship and he made sure everything was set to extend our stay, at the same price. He also arranged transportation for us from the Como train station and again for our departure at the end of our stay.
The hotel has a small little gym and spa for those of us who like to exercise. They also have a great pool right on the lake which is a nice size and is great for lap swimming.
The town of Moltrasio is tiny but charming and I loved returning home from the boat launch each afternoon to settle in for a cocktail in the bar under the care of the lovely bartender, Maudi. Others did comment that it is somewhat of a downfall to have no walking path along the lake in Moltrasio and I would have to agree but this has nothing to do with the Hotel. It would be nice, though, to take a walk up or down this beautiful lake without putting your life in danger. You can walk up to the village on the hill, which I did, and have a spectacular view of the lake. There are a few cute little bars and restaurants in the village, next to the hotel, as well as two lovely restaurants at the hotel. We ate at the hotel's restaurant on the water, the last night of our stay, and it was delicious, presented beautifully--a five star restaurant.
If we ever have the good fortune to return to Lake Como, I would totally recommend this sweet little town, over Como or even Chennobio and will most definitely return to the Grand Hotel Imperiale.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank docshelly
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Imperiale

Reviewed July 9, 2013

A very nice property right on the west shore of Lake Como with the main building across street from lake, with a tunnel access under the narrow Via Regina to two separate villas, the Ristorante Imperiale and the pool. Looks as if it has been remodeled. Easy access to Water Taxi as stop is right there. The accommodations are nice, but lacking some simple amenities like enough electrical outlets. Internet access is good. The breakfast buffet is adequate with coffee that tasted like instant Nescafe. The pool is fantastic, with the food at the Regina Pool bar above average. The Ristorante Imepriale is romantic with tables along the lake and one very romantic table in the Gazebo. Service is average but Kudos to Modi and his intelligent attentiveness. We also enjoyed the Piano playing of Sergio every night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ray J
Reviewed July 8, 2013

What a fantastic hotel, staff were great ,English good and helped us with all the info on boats and trains on departure. The hotel is across the road from the boat depo.2 doors up is a great restaurant at a lot cheaper price than the hotel. Breakfast was the best in our 5 week stay in Italy.
Behind the hotel are many steps, please climb them as the real experience of Italy begins, life is now a slow pace. The mountains set on the lake, the sea planes,cobblestone steps, the old Italian lady with a walking stick its a hidden secret. Theres a small deli up there we bought a bottle of Italian wine so bring a cork screw. Theres a gym and a spa but that's an extra price.We visited may small villages which of our whole Italy stay lake como is the best and will return. Hovever a would probably stay a few days in some of the other villages as well. The Grande Imperial hotel was the quietist of all the villages.

Room Tip: room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vald63
Reviewed July 7, 2013

'Scotland Monarch' says everything I was going to say! We too have just returned from a lovely holiday with Riviera Holidays based at the Grand Hotel Imperiale in Moltrasio. We thought the quality and presentation of the 4-course evening meals were superb. The waiters were courteous and friendly and were happy to supply alternatives if the options did not suit. The breakfast was excellent too.The hotel itself is lovely though the prices in the Hotel Bar are too high. The hotel management should be asking why their pianist is playing to an empty room while the Bar a few metres down the road is full of their hotel guests.
Our room was fine, though unfortunately, it it did not have a balcony (many others did, we were just unlucky I suppose) - it was a decent size, clean, towels changed daily, and the room facilities good.
The Hotel is just over the road from the Lake and the views are wonderful - it is just a pity that apart from a climb to the village (worth doing for the views but not after a 4-course meal) there are no walks (except to the nearby Bar!).
We had a lovely holiday at this fine hotel.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony and a view of the Lake if poss.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve1454
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here. Loved every minute. Good food, great service. And clean spacious rooms. The hotel is right across th road from the boats into lake Como. The food restaurant is on the lake and the view rakes your breath away. the gardens are so lush. Wonderful !!

Room Tip: The boats leave right out the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a week’s holiday at The Grand Imperiale Hotel at Maltrasio Lake Como Italy. It was a tour booked through Riviera Travel The tour its self was very well organised with a good rep. but very tiring as every day but one there was a visit to various places of interest with early morning starts. The hotel location was not too good as there was nowhere to have a walk near the lake only one bar and three restaurants. In my opinion the hotel did not live up to my expectations. The room was fine even though it had no balcony it was a decent size, clean, towels changed daily, sheets once during our stay no problems though good but not up to four star standard. However as others have reported the dining room had a section assigned to Riviera Travel arranged so that there was always room for their party, they said. The breakfast was very good buffet style with fruit, serials, plus cheese ham, hot food juice, tea or coffee. However the evening meal had only a limited menu consisting of a chef’s surprise, a choice of two starters, two main courses one fish one meat then similarly two sweets. This was especially for Riviera guests not the normal main menu; the quantities to me were extremely small. Friends who did the same tour but at a different location/hotel had the same menu as other guests not a cut down menu. The other gripe was the bar prices, I know you expect to pay a little over the odds but not so much e.g. 4.50 euros for coffee 2.50 Euros for water 7 Euros for a glass of beer (only 4 Euros for a large beer at a bar nearby And 2 for a coffee) needless to say the hotel bar remained empty. which was a shame as there was a piano playing to only one or two guests (everyone else occupied the bar next door).

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony & take plenty spending money with you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RicbarLancashire
Reviewed June 30, 2013

They pride themselves with the "Grand" Hotel name, but in my opinion, this is just a "gran" (large) hotel. The service at the front desk was not really welcoming and made us wait for 10 minutes before helping us while there were three of them talking to one single customer. Rooms are large but pretty impersonal and the service is abysmally bad. I was there with my daughter for a wedding and suffice to mention that I asked for somebody to iron my suit and was told that I could do it myself in a dedicated room. I DO NOT go in a 4 star hotel to get this kind of service. On top of that, the price is really like if it were a "Grand" Hotel...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank apalmero
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moltrasio
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Royal Victoria
Royal Victoria
#1 of 6 in Varenna

Been to Grand Hotel Imperiale? Share your experiences!