“Motorbikes and Italian history”
Review of Museum Moto Guzzi

Museum Moto Guzzi
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have a Moto Guzzi and was interested to see the factory where it was made. I was shown around by Giovanni Balatini. Who worked there for forty years. He had so many interesting stories and explained how he made the v8 crankshaft from one piece. I understand Italian so had a head start. If you visit the factory has so many interesting bikes, trikes that Moto Guzzi made. Some interesting bikes and three wheelers that climbed mountains.
The museum is full of signs in Italian and English with lots of motor cycles that you can get up close to. The shop was closed when we arrived which was a shame as I was hoping to buy something for a memory of the visit.
If you are in to motorcycles, old classics, war vehicles or experimental Moto Guzzis with some history of the factory it is worth a visit. I also bought some motorbike spares from Valpolini and Augustini around the corner much cheaper than the UK.

4  Thank Vincenzo I
in 3 reviews
"galleries"
"visitors"

Reviewed October 1, 2013

After visiting the Ducati Museum the Moto Guzzi Museum is a stark contrast in the way it operates and is presented. The first thing you notice us that the building is very old and not very glamorous. That said it is the oldest manufacture of motorcycles in Italy but is well worth seeing if you have a passion for bikes. You do not need to book and it is free to enter but is only open between 3 and 4pm. There is no guided tour but each item or bike on display has a plaque giving a brief description. What I like about the museum is that it is very pure and it is not trying to pretend to be anything else. In fact there are more bikes here than the Ducati museum but you have to bare in mind that both road and race bikes are displayed here. There is a small shop which offers T shirts and memorabilia. There is free parking opposite the main gates and a train station nearby.

6  Thank Wayne A
Reviewed September 2, 2013

As a long time Guzzi owner and fan, a visit in the factory museum is always a pilgrimage. I've been there a few times in the past, but when I can I come again. Love it.
recomended for any motorcycling enthusiast.

2  Thank mikyheimann
Reviewed August 10, 2013

All of you were luckier than me. I went to Italy in September 2009. I stayed in Como for 5 days and enjoyed all I saw, but I was doing a European tour and my main reason for going to Italy was to visit the Moto Guzzi museum.
I had to get 2 buses from Como to reach Mandello del Lario and arrived at the factory on a weekday just before 3pm, only to find out that the factory was operating reduced hours because of the global financial crisis and was closed, and museum tours were off. A long way to go from Australia to find I couldn't see the museum.
A couple of days earlier I had asked the tourist bureau in Como how to get to Mandello del Lario and they happily told me and obviously had not been advised by Moto Guzzi that the factory wouldn't be open. So I still haven't seen the V8 in the flesh. I am old enough that I watched news and movies of it when it was actually competing, so it was a lifelong ambition to see it.
I have had to tick some selections that don't apply to my attempted visit for obvious reasons, including the date of the visit, so you can ignore them.

3  Thank Barry B
See more reviews
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The museum is housed on two floors of the factory on the street side. It's open from 3-4 pm daily during the week. It is chock full of the motorcycles that have made Moto Guzzi famous. However, the whole thing is really quite dry and unexciting. With the long history of racing and remarkable accomplishments, they really should liven up the exhibits. Mostly visited by the Guzzisti, anyone else would find the museum boring and wouldn't "get it" based on the exhibits. Moto Guzzi produced the first V8 motorcycle, and it is here - but no real explanation of its impact can be divined from the exhibit. All the race wins and excitement? You'll never get it from these exhibits. Too bad, considering the trouble and expense I went to just to see the place! Please Moto Guzzi, use this place to capture the excitement and energy of motorcycling! This place needs sounds, lights, and some video of the bikes in action around the world.

3  Thank TNGuzziRider