“The Nest is the Best”

Ranked #1 of 9 Lezzeno B&B and Inns
Markham, Ontario
“The Nest is the Best”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was getting ready to write my review and decided to see what others had written recently... I'll just point you to the review by cazzascorp on Oct 17th and simply say 'ditto'...

We were a little worried about staying at a place that wasn't in the 'usual' Lake Como towns... but after staying four nights at The Nest, we are so glad we made the choice we did.... friendly, very clean, comfortable, quiet, safe in the room, good breakfast, 12 minute walk to the ferry (really!), good restaurant choices nearby (we liked the Aurora) and RIGHT ON THE LAKE!

Lastly, you may want to be ready to second guess your GPS... reserve directly with Tino via his website... he'll send you driving directions to the B&B...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
Auckland
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The best place we stayed at on our entire 9 week trip - we can only endorse what other reviewers have said. A wonderful location right on the water - brilliant view from our lovely room and balcony, kayak and swimming below on the lake, friendly and helpful hosts, excellent restaurants within walking distance (da Abate cafe/Albergo Pizzaria), and easy to get to the main tourist attractions around the lake by ferry, or local bus to Bellagio - all contributed to a blissful stay.
The only thing that could be an improvement is the road signage - it was quite hard to find - in fact next time we will stay longer than the 4 nights we enjoyed on this trip, and we will ferry up from Como.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carolbAuckland
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have always dreamed of going to Lake Como. So when I finally got the chance this year, I needed to find somewhere to stay that would really give me an experience to remember. I don't care for hotels, so I tend to look for a personalised experience at a well-run B&B. And at Nest on the Lake I can truly say I found it. And I'm a tough reviewer of accommodation - I don't give 5 stars lightly. But it would be impossible not to do so for Nest on the Lake.

To start with, let's look at the B&B's wonderful location. The only striking red building in the village, this wonderfully restored and modernised old house turned into a B&B could not have a better view of Lake Como. You wake up and look out of your window, or walk on to the balcony outside your room, and you just feel like a million dollars looking at the view - without having to pay a million dollar price. Why stay in (admittedly very pretty) Bellagio with its much higher price tag and rather snooty atmosphere when you can stay here? It's really not far to Bellagio anyway from the B&B - Bellagio is just 10 minutes drive away (depending on how fast or slow you choose to drive to it from the B&B - on a very windy,narrow road - you need nerves of steel to drive on these roads to start with, but they are quite manageable once you get used to it and to the aggressive Italian drivers...... The B&B has private car parking for 4 cars next to it, and if they are full, the hosts can arrange for you to park in their garage.

What is there to do here? Well, you can do nothing much - if you wan't just to relax and unwind - this is the place. You can while away your time on the swing chair on the patio, or talk to other guests, or just read and relax in the lovely rooms, out on the patio, or on your balcony admiring the beauty around you. Or there is a lot to do! If you stay in summer, you can swim in the Lake, and the B&B has its own (a little bit stony) private beach. There are free canoes to use at the B&B too which makes for some relaxing gentle exercise (it's 2.5 kms one way to canoe out to the island you can see from the B&B - it's not as close as it looks!!) There are many small villages to explore on the B&Bs side of the Lake (a car is very useful to get there or to get to Bellagio where the main ferry goes from) - there is a bus but it's not awfully regular), and you can easily get to most of the villages accross the lake or on the part of the Lake behind Bellagio using the various ferry/hydrofoil services that operate either from Bellagio, or from Lezzeno itself. Bellagio is a very beautiful town with a huge restaurant selection, interesting shops and divine views of the Lake, and nearby, the gardens of Villa Melzi are lovely (if pricey to get into), and the town just oozes class. The town of Como is absolutely definitely worth a visit as it is very attractive, lots of nice shops and things to see, within about 35 minute drive, or hydrofoil from Lezzeno. Switzerland is also about a 30 minute drive from Como, and we were told there is a fantastic shopping centre just over the border and of course you can explore further into Switzerland if you want to as well. Milan is an easy train ride from the town of Como as well. The closer villages to Lezzeno, and accross the lake, of Tremezzo/Cardenabbia are worth going to, particularly to see Villa Carlotta which is absolutely fantastic and a total must see. Also (prebook so you don't miss doing) a cooking class at Ristorante Il Caminetto close to the another small town of Varenna, an easy 10 minute ferry ride from Bellagio - the cooking class is is wonderful. There are some super restaurants in the Lezzeno village itself- Hotel Titus, Hotel Aurora to name two we really enjoyed with unusually good service and good food - and your hosts at the B&B will recommend others as well both in the village and in the surrounding villages - they are lots of good places to eat in and around the village including in Nesso, the next village, or even in Bellagio itself. If you like water sports, well the very good Liquid Park Ski school down next to the Hotel Aurora is the place for you - my daughter learned to WakeBoard there with a very good teacher at a fair price - what better location in the world than the stunning Lake Como could you learn water sports?

What makes this B&B so special? It all comes down really, to the hosts. Tino and his lovely wife are just the nicest, most helpful people you could possibly hope to meet. Nothing was too much trouble for them. And I mean nothing. Most of our dealings were with Tino as his wife speaks little English, but she will help you wherever she can. Tino absolutely fell over himself to be helpful in every way possible. For example, Tino lent me his Ipad for the whole stay (6 nights). He gave us so many recommendations about what to do, and they were all sound, solid pieces of advice and information. He took as much time as needed to talk to me about anything and everything. I came as a guest, left as a friend. He did our washing twice, for free. Everywhere else in Italy where we needed washing done they charged for it, but not here - they genuinely did not want to be paid extra for this or any other "extra" they provided, (although I insisted on giving them something extra at the end of our stay), they just want to help you out. They leave a welcome bottle of wine with a lovely note for you in the room and Tino offers you a welcome drink as well when you get to the B&B, whatever you like, sits and talks to you when you arrive without bombarding you with information as other B&Bs sometimes do and makes you feel right at home. He made me coffee in the evening if I wanted it, offered me wine, soft drink, etc. How really thoughtful. I cannot overstate how wonderful it was being in a place where I felt they cared about us as guests (there was me and my two teenage daughters). When one of my daughters was unwell, they were kindness itself - and I so very much appreciated that. They have two small daughters of their own (who were very unobtrusive and pleasant), and they understand and really like kids and people generally and it truly shows. The price was exceptionally reasonable and good value for the over -and -above experience we received, although note that you do have to pay your bill in cash as they are unable to accept credit cards.

The decor of the B&B was also really lovely. The rooms were very comfortable (pillows just a little soft for me though), well sized, mine with wardrobes, full length mirror and drawers, lots of power points, and everything was attractively decorated, including, unusually, the very lovely hallway between our two rooms,and the stairwell, decorated with interesting photos as was the breakfast room. The bathroom was great (water pressure did fall off sometimes though if too many people were showering elsewhere at once), housekeeping fantastic, fresh , fluffy towels every day, (lovely, although unnecesary environmentally though) everything very clean, and free bottled water provided every day although you can absolutely drink the tap water too. The breakfast room was large and comfortable - I ideally I would have liked an arm chair or sofa somewhere in the breakrast room to sit on though to relax/read, as if you couldn't sit outside there wasn't really a very comfortable chair to sit in the spared spaces downstairs you could only sit on the breakfast table chairs. But this is just a minor thing really. The breakfast selection was plentiful- whilst there are no cooked breakfasts here (and no crossants, which I did miss!) there are a large range of good other choices, hot rolls, lovely jams, spreads, etc etc.

What type of accommodation will you find here? there are a variety of different type of rooms - there are apartments (two, I think), with dining room/sitting room, small kitchen, 2 bedrooms, bathroom - good idea if you feel like cooking for yourself and want a little bit of extra space, or the family room we had (2 bedroom, plus bathroom) - great for me and my two kids, and then the usual one bed room with bathroom. Any or all have good views of the Lake, and would be great - we really liked our 2 bedroom family room - (I would ideally have liked a desk and chair though somewhere in the family room.

To sum up, I simply cannot recommend this place highly enough. 5 stars is really not enough, this place deserves a 6+ star for "completely over and above expectations" rating. Thank you so much Tino and Raffaele, I will always remember our time at your wonderful B&B with genuine affection. (And please give your your lovely cats a hug from us! )

Room Tip: We had the two bedroom family room - very good indeed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Caroline K
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 23, 2012

very clean, relaxing, great view, right on the lake with a comfortable access to the water, very nice and kind owners! they make the best breakfast! been in 5 different places in Italy- they had the best breakfast. there is a kettle to make tea and coffee in the room. Lezzeno is a very quite village but its 10 minutes drive from Bellagio's restaurants/shops/bars, and if you like there is a very nice restaurant 3 minutes walk from the B&B. highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 23, 2012

'Tino and his family were incredibly gracious hosts. They truly welcomed us into their home and made us feel like we were their only customers. Compared to hotels on the lake, this B&B was fantastically well priced. The location was unbeatable, with easy access to the ferries (to visit Bellagio, etc) and a great beach right out the back door. Watching the sunset, rain storms, and swans from bed was unbeatable.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lakefront and recently updated.
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a three-week vacation in Northern Italy. Our first stop was Nest on the Lake. In many ways it should have been our only stop.

The location is away from the bustle of Como, and not far from the tourist activity in Bellagio. It sits on the east bank of the leg of the lake leading into Bellagio, and is quite difficult to locate without a GPS at night. I would seriously recommend arrival during daylight hours to avoid any confusion.

The views are spectacular, including the many white swans that regularly gather near the shore. We had the apartment room on the top floor, a spacious and extremely comfortable accommodation where we awoke each morning to the sounds of the water lapping on the shore.

Costantino and Rafaella, the owners, are wonderful and gracious hosts. The building that houses the B & B has been in Costantino's family since the late 1700's, but, with his hard work, it has been renovated and expanded to provide all the modern conveniences a traveler needs and expects.

Breakfasts on the ground floor patio are divine. Raffaela is present to provide table side service after guests are permitted to serve themselves buffet style from inside the breakfast room. The room is tastefully and colorfully decorated, and the selection of breakfast buffet items was without question the best my wife experienced during our entire stay in Italy.

Memories of our stay will last a long time. This was as close to an idyllic setting as my wife and I have ever been. We hope to return some day, and when we do, we will definitely plan to stay more than two nights.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

What can I add to what has already been said? We stayed for 10 nights at the end of July and had a great holiday. We didn't hire a car and went everywhere by boat (or canoe) with occasional days relaxing at the B&B. We visited all the places we wanted without feeling rushed, but also never got bored. Tino made great suggestions for things to do, places to go, where to eat etc and we felt very welcome and well looked after. If you want lots of bars and busy nightlife (we don't) this is not for you. If you want a truly relaxing holiday, great views, intimate and welcoming atmosphere then don't hesitate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janetandj0hn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lezzeno
Hotel Villa Aurora
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Agriturismo Al-Marnich
Agriturismo Al-Marnich
#1 of 1 in Schignano

Been to Nest On The Lake? Share your experiences!