I struggled for weeks trying to find an intimate boutique hotel on the shores of Lake Como to which I could take my wife for her 40th birthday. After dismissing the grand palace hotels as completely impersonal, I stumbled across RRT and it was very clear from the website that this was exactly what I was looking for.
Having booked through the website I swapped emails with Elena one of the hosts, and decided to book the romantic suite on the first floor of the hotel. Elena was also kind enough to recommend a nearby restaurant for dinner on my wife's birthday, which was so good we went back the next night for a second crack at the whip.
The hotel itself has I think about half a dozen rooms each of which is decorated in the "shabby chic" style. Our suite looked out over the lake and consisted of a reception room, bedroom and small bathroom (equipped with a jacuzzi). The rooms were superb, very elegant and incredibly restful. On most days we would come back to the hotel mid afternoon and just sit in the suite reading and admiring the view.
The breakfast selection was fine (continental) with good quality offerings. The hotel does not cater for anything other than breakfast so you will need to eat out for lunch and dinner.
Elena our host was great, very easy to strike up a relationship with, and helpful where she could be.
My only criticism of the hotel is that it is easy to miss the gates from the road on your first approach, the entrance is almost unsigned. However once the gates swing open, the view through them over the lake is breathtaking.
The hotel is moderately expensive but for the price you are buying into a intimate experience. You will not get a palace hotel with dozens of rooms serverd by snotty waiting staff, but instead you will get a boutique hotel which has been stylishly restored, with spectacular views and great memories.
We have toyed with idea of bringing our two daughters back this summer (they are 8 and 3) but have decided not to do this, not because of anything to do with the hotel but because there is not a huge amount to do for children in the area. This is very much an adult's hotel offering a stylish experience. Definitely will be revisiting at some point.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Some say it is the house that George Clooney couldn't get. Hardly surprising, considering Villa Regina Teodolinda is situated in the enchanted lakeside position in the famous village of Laglio, on Lake Como, a location often frequented by movie stars. The lakeside access of this stunning Villa allows the travelling to and from the property by water, which makes it the unique, romantic and ideal place for a wedding celebration, birthday party, business event or just for a quite and romantic holyday with your family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Villa Regina Teodolinda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais Regina Teodolinda Hotel Laglio
- Villa Regina Teodolinda Lake Como/Laglio, Italy