“Fantastic Boutique Hotel on shores of Lake Como”

Villa Regina Teodolinda
Ranked #2 of 6 Laglio B&B and Inns
Cheltenham
“Fantastic Boutique Hotel on shores of Lake Como”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I struggled for weeks trying to find an intimate boutique hotel on the shores of Lake Como to which I could take my wife for her 40th birthday. After dismissing the grand palace hotels as completely impersonal, I stumbled across RRT and it was very clear from the website that this was exactly what I was looking for.

Having booked through the website I swapped emails with Elena one of the hosts, and decided to book the romantic suite on the first floor of the hotel. Elena was also kind enough to recommend a nearby restaurant for dinner on my wife's birthday, which was so good we went back the next night for a second crack at the whip.

The hotel itself has I think about half a dozen rooms each of which is decorated in the "shabby chic" style. Our suite looked out over the lake and consisted of a reception room, bedroom and small bathroom (equipped with a jacuzzi). The rooms were superb, very elegant and incredibly restful. On most days we would come back to the hotel mid afternoon and just sit in the suite reading and admiring the view.

The breakfast selection was fine (continental) with good quality offerings. The hotel does not cater for anything other than breakfast so you will need to eat out for lunch and dinner.

Elena our host was great, very easy to strike up a relationship with, and helpful where she could be.

My only criticism of the hotel is that it is easy to miss the gates from the road on your first approach, the entrance is almost unsigned. However once the gates swing open, the view through them over the lake is breathtaking.

The hotel is moderately expensive but for the price you are buying into a intimate experience. You will not get a palace hotel with dozens of rooms serverd by snotty waiting staff, but instead you will get a boutique hotel which has been stylishly restored, with spectacular views and great memories.

We have toyed with idea of bringing our two daughters back this summer (they are 8 and 3) but have decided not to do this, not because of anything to do with the hotel but because there is not a huge amount to do for children in the area. This is very much an adult's hotel offering a stylish experience. Definitely will be revisiting at some point.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkECheltenham

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Gorgeous views from our room across the lake, lovely decor, great breakfast. Would definitely stay here again, especially in the warmer months when you can enjoy their outdoor dining, seating and pool. Only downside was that we were on the first floor and the wooden floor above us was noisy when the couple were in their room.

Easy to park if you're bringing a car - they have an internal parking area off the street. Easy 1 hour drive from Milan airport.

Extremely friendly staff - gave us lots of tips / places to go / restaurants to visit etc. Made the whole weekend extremely enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tsmith1977
MAdrid
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This is the first review I writte as so far I have been checking TA only to get input for a planned trip to India and Maldives. However as I am so greatful for the feedback I am getting I felt that I had to leave some input for others to come, so I thought what was the greatest experience I have had in the last years and Relais Regina Teodolinda came to my mind right away.

RRT has everything I personally can ask from a hotel (and believe me, the last years between NY, Lech in Austria, Paris, India, Denmark, Spain, Istanbul, etc, etc, have been quite hectic in hotels of 5* and 4*).

What we liked most of RRT:

1. The location: absolute superbe. Less than one hour drive from Malpensa Airport in Milan, in the middle of Lago di Como we enjoyed making visits to Bellagio, Como and all the tiny and marvellous spots in Lago di Como.

2. The attention: Daniela and Elena, really made us feel at home. With their great conversation (although not intruding) with their most valuable tips as to what to see, what to do and where to eat. Just an A+

3. The waiter, Sorry I forgot his name!!! An incredible gentleman who came from Sri Lanka, so gentle, polite and ready to help and be of assistance that really made us feel at home.

4. The house and the rooms: really huge (both) and decorated with such a great taste. Nothing out of place, the real luxury is to feel that everything is in its place, nothing accidental and nothing redundant.

5. Above all, the feeling that we were not in a hotel but in an extreamely beautiful house, maybe belonging to some friends who had invited to stay for the weekend. Of course that feeling disapeared when we had to pay the bill!!! but although expensive, was really worth every penny we paid.

and finally one word about other reviews. Although I fully respect the views of other travellers, reading what others had to say about this real hiden gem, makes me understand better the critics of those places that I am searching for my future trip. There is people extreamly picky! Do you think the swiming pool was small? To me it was the perfect size to help you feeling, again, that you were in a nice country house of some relatives or friends. If you just plant a huge swiming pool in the delicate garden you would have ruined the atmosphere and the balance of the garden and the house. I dont remember but I think the house only had like 5 or 6 suites!

We always remember this trip to Como and the days in RRT as one of our best hotels experiences and really hope to go back rather sooner than later.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank JavierCC2
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed October 29, 2009

My husband and I, together with our two sons [in their 20"s] stayed for 5 days. Although I had seen photos on the internet, the actual hotel and setting far exceeded our expectations. Without asking, we were upgraded to the romantic suite and our boys were also upgraded to a double bedroom.
Yes, the swimming pool is on the small side but we chose to swim in the lake every day. With a hire car, it was a real bonus to have such great off-street and secure parking. Admittedly, there is no evening dining, but there are such great little restaurants 5-10 minutes along the road. We were also a little confused about lunch as it was not mentioned to us. It was only when we saw other guests with a menu that we clicked. Elena was brilliant. By mistake I left my camera at the check out desk and she arranged for it to be brought on to London with another departing guest - what service !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Wes13
Athens, Greece
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I traveled last spring with my husband to the Como Lake. We were fascinated with the scenery of the Lake as well as, with most of the villages around. The specific guesthouse was also one of the main reason that this trip was so romantic and special.

Relais Regina is located in a very quite and beautiful road near the lake. It is a beautiful relais that is old, but very stylish renovated. We stayed at the attic room, that the ceiling was really low, though it was a very cosy and romantic room. The furniture and the decoration was well fitted to the old building, but at the same time was very pleasant and joyful. The view from the room was also fabulous towards the lake, through a roof window.

The breakfast, was served at tables on the garden overlooking the lake once more. The view from there was just great. The breakfast was made of high quality products in a wide variety.

The reception lady was very helpful, giving as information for restaurants and sightseeing, though the owner lady was not very interested in talking or even smiling to visitors, I would described her rather snob. We found the room prices overrated, so we asked for a better price and they accepted.

There was also a swimming pool, that was really small and not so clean, I think it was more as a decorative element rather than for swimming.

The internet access was a problem, because was not available in the rooms and the only place you can access it was on the patio.

Concluding, I would describe the guesthouse very stylish (in contrast to most of the guesthouses of the area), quite private, romantic with best view of the lake (exactly on the lake).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank haraAthens
new york
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I was there with my wife and we loved the place, though we expected to find more for the price we paid. Breakfast was good but pretty standard. There was nothing stating if lunch or dinner was offered, however, we saw a couple eating lunch. Nobody explained to us that only upon request and for certain guests, lunch would be provided. When we asked the reception, she explained we had to make a reservation for lunch or ask the staff. We are not sure how this system works. For dinner, we were told to dine out.

Pool wasn't a pool but a bowl, which was nice when there wasn't anybody in it but sometimes the owners and their friends were there to hang out and we couldnt swim; it was pretty disappointing and rude.

Staff was nice but seemed overworked because we saw the same two faces all of our stay and they were yelled at by the managers.

The "bar" closed very early at night and every time we got back from dinner there was nobody at reception receiving us. Unfortunately, we had to disturb the custodians living there.

Though the idea of the magnetic badge to open the gate and to the rooms was nice and worked out pretty well.

Location was nice and really relaxing, not to far from Como and Switzerland.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flyingasert
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Como lake is the best place to sleep and to get married. I have tried the first and seen the second - both were fabulous!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laglio
Grand Hotel Imperiale
Filario Hotel & Residences
Hotel Villa Flori
Hotel Villa Flori
#5 of 32 in Como

Been to Villa Regina Teodolinda? Share your experiences!