Our experience of Regina Teodolinda couldn’t contrast more starkly with the previous review which is strange as our stays overlapped! We have visited many charming places and hotels over the years, particularly prior to starting a family, and this one combines many key features that put it high up on the list.
It’s on the road because it’s by the lake – a location for which Hollywood stars pay top dollar. Sounds of birdlife and views of distant hillside towns across the lapping water create an untrammelled tranquillity, despite the weather, which in our case was best described as mischievous.
The staff could not have been more helpful from responding to e-mail requests for making bookings in local restaurants to arranging the Prosecco in our room on arrival. The wedding was discussed in one of these communications and mitigated by an offer of a meal in the neighbouring hotel. Three staff members met us on our (forewarned) arrival despite the imminent appearance of the aforementioned wedding party. In the event, it was hard to stray away from our spacious and airy front room overlooking the lake, as we enjoyed the sounds of the wedding until evening before heading off for dinner.
Yes, it felt like we were staying at the bequest of Daniela and her family and re-assuring to share dining space with their own guests. The restaurant options in the neighbouring hotel are terrific: a terrace overlooking the lake or a picturesque cluster of tables in a stone exposed cellar with glass frontage, reminding us of a similar restaurant in Siena.
The hotel staff worked hard to ensure our stay met our expectations. We planned the following day’s travels, using lake transport, by pouring over the timetables with the help of the receptionist, Federica. The arrangements worked a treat. I find it hard to recognise the previous reviewer’s impressions.
The abundant breakfast included squeezing your own fresh oranges and boiling your own egg, in addition to the meats, cakes and cheeses typically offered on the continent. Yet all was conducted under the low key but careful attention of the staff. Cappuccino merited a second and the service, like the restaurant, was performed with that gentle restraint which entices us to Italy again and again.
It may be expensive but I understand from other reviews that off season prices can be negotiated. In the end, I am prepared to pay for charm and quality, especially when my time is short in a place that is a welcome relief from more impersonal, ‘corporate’ style destinations.
In essence, thanks to Daniela and her staff we had a lovely time. My advice would be to prepare your holiday, communicate well, relax in a lakeside room and enjoy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Some say it is the house that George Clooney couldn't get. Hardly surprising, considering Villa Regina Teodolinda is situated in the enchanted lakeside position in the famous village of Laglio, on Lake Como, a location often frequented by movie stars. The lakeside access of this stunning Villa allows the travelling to and from the property by water, which makes it the unique, romantic and ideal place for a wedding celebration, birthday party, business event or just for a quite and romantic holyday with your family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Priceline so you can book your Villa Regina Teodolinda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais Regina Teodolinda Hotel Laglio
- Villa Regina Teodolinda Lake Como/Laglio, Italy