“Wonderful Villa that even Mr. Clooney would be jealous off”

Relais Villa Vittoria
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We spent the first week of our honeymoon here, and it was a challenge to leave. Breathtaking natural beauty - crystal green lake waters nestled amidst verdant mountains - complimented by beautiful decor, elegant architecture and great food and dedicated service. Free kayaks, bicycles and a great wine cellar all enhance what is already near paradise.

Few very minor quibbles: there were more children and small babies at the property than we had anticipated for a venue that describes itself as being ideal for honeymooners (that said, for young families looking for a holiday it was very child friendly with the staff being happy to babysit!) and there was slightly limited off the beaten track local knowledge amongst the staff many of whom are not local italians (a request about local jazz festivals was greeted with polite incomprehension, despite the fact that neighbouring town had a major festival going on).

Oh yes, for those for whom this appeals, you are about a 15 min walk from Lake Como's most famous resident's Villa and for my money, Villa Vittoria is the more elegant of the two...

Room Tip: Lake Views are definitely preferable, since the natural beauty is a big part of the draw.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family stayed in the Hotel in mid July and had a wonderful time on the shores of Laglio Lake Como. The rooms were excellent in fitout and roomy especially the lake facing ones. The staff were friendly and could not do enough to make the stay a pleasant one. We enjoyed our stay and would highly recomend ...I actually came back and stayed again two weeks later.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights at Relais Villa Vitoria.

My overall impression of this boutique hotel was excellent. The location is, I have to be honest, quite stunning!

Our room (lake view) was very well furnished with great taste (yes it can also happen in Italy…) had all modern features (free Wi Fi access…). Furthermore, the service was excellent and the receptions’ staff gave us great restaurant advices. We did not have diner there, only breakfast and lunch next to the pool. The food was simple nothing fancy but tasty and fresh. It was everything I wanted for a light lunch (mozzarella and tomato salad, nice hot sandwiches…)

For me the only flaw I could find was the pool. I stayed there in August and it is true that, on a sunny day, by 11 am all the sun beds were taken. More there were a lot of children playing all day in the pool and since the area is quite small it became a bit hard to focus on my book.

To sum up, I would definitely recommend la Villa Vitoria. It is fantastic place to relax, to enjoy this wonderful region. The hotel is simply charming!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jaykay0410
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently spent four days at this lovely hotel on Lake Como. My husband and I stayed at their "romantic lake view room" and our cousin in a single room. The hotel is lovely, well run, we had two meals at their restaurant, one in the cave since it was raining, and one outside on the terrace. The food was excellent as was the service.

Breakfast is also excellent, served outside on the terrace. We only used the pool once and it was quite late in the afternoon so there were plenty of lounges available.

The room has incredible lake views and a small balcony (as per attached photo). We also had a Nespress machine.

My only complaint is that the hotel has no laundry service but we found our way to a laundry in Cernobbio and had our washing done there. So, really, no complaints at all.

Having stayed at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio on our previous trip to Lake Como, we are already planning on returning to Villa Vittoria !! Wonderful stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room after all, if you come to Lake Como you want to see the lake !!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rygsa
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful 5 nights at Villa Vittoria. We decided to stay here having stayed at the Regina Teodolinda (also magnificent) next door for our wedding two years prior, which is owned by the same family - and were not disappointed. Laglio is only a 40min drive from Milan Malpensa so is very accessible, and the village itself is very small and peaceful.

Villa Vittoria's laid back chic decor is beautiful, and much more modern in style to several of the famous hotels on Lake Como. A great deal of care and attention has evidently been paid in furnishing the property to a high standard. The Villa is small (only 12 rooms I believe, although even the small rooms are spacious), but this was perfect for a relaxing week and feels very much like staying in a family home. It felt very private and secluded. We stayed in a 'Classic' room, no.201, which was spacious enough, but not huge. It had a partial lake view as per the description, but was on the rear corner of the building so there was some road noise in the evenings, although this didn't disturb us. I would definitely recommend paying the extra for a lake view suite which are much larger with stunning views so you can really make the most of the setting. Also, it seems that perhaps only the suites have the Nespresso coffee machines, as ours only had a kettle with instant coffee (one sachet of regular and one of decaf which was annoying) and teas. The turn down service only happened on one night out of five, and involved putting a weather forecast card and two sweets on the desk - I would have expected a little more, freshen of towels etc. given the room rates.

The Villa is incredibly well situated right on the lake, with a lovely garden and infinity pool. There is also direct access to the lake where you can take out a kayak for free or rent a boat for the day which is great fun for exploring the lake. There is a basic lunch menu by the pool, and also dinner served on the terrace overlooking the lake. We had dinner at the Villa once, which was good, but not exceptional. There are limited dining options locally, but there is much more a few minutes drive / taxi away. Taxis are expensive and need to be pre-booked, so you ideally need a car. Parking at the Villa is limited, however we used the parking space at the villa next door when there was no space which was fine.

The staff are all very good and extremely hard working. Daniela is the owner of the two Villas and came to greet us soon after we arrived and welcome us back. Given that we were returning guests, I would have perhaps expected a welcome glass of Prosecco / wine / something to acknowledge this (especially as other guests seemed to be enjoying their complimentary bottle of Prosecco upon arrival!), but there was nothing; although this is a very small point. As other reviews have said, Daniela and her family are often around the hotel entertaining their friends, but during our time there we saw them vacate sun loungers or deck-chairs if guests arrived to use them which was good. All of the staff really made us feel welcome and that we were extended family.

The only disappointment was that there are limited sunloungers so you need to be at the pool early. Also, the guests from the villa next door have access to the pool facilities at Villa Vittoria, which meant that on occasion there were none left for the actual guests of Villa Vittoria which seemed a little unfair (despite there being a great pool next door!).

Overall we had a magnificent week, and would recommend the Villa Vittoria without hesitation. We rarely return to hotels but this Villa is special and we will be back next year!

Room Tip: Book a Lake view suite to make the most of views and location
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We always look for the boutique hotel option and thought that we had found a gem here, but unfortunately there was too much style and no substance. They really let themselves down with customer relations and food.

The welcome from the receptionist was polite but cool with no volunteering of information and recomendations etc. you had to drag it out of her and the owners who run the place look at you as if you are invading their private space rather than welcoming guests to their business. We found it especially bizzare that they ate with the guests on the terrace every night and together with their friends used up the very few sunloungers that were available around the pool.
Having said that the rest of the staff especially the Romanian husband and wife team couldn't do enough for you and were very friendly.
The villa itself is beautiful and in a lovely position right on the lake. We had an attic room which was lovely and the view from our toilet was one of the best! However the shower was a cheap plastic bath /shower combo and there was often a bad smell when we got back to the room which was obviously coming from the plumbing.
The other big no no was the very cheap and uncomfortable cafe chairs and tables you had to sit on for your evening meal on the terrace.
Finally the food. Your only options here are to eat at the villa or there are 2 restaurants within walking distance. All of these are not for people who appreciate good food and I'm not talking michelin star, just good honest cooking with fresh ingrediants and taste. We did find what looked to be some good restaurants within 5-10 drive, but you try finding a parking space, its almost impossible so we had to pass on those unfortunately.
So all in all, if you just want a nice room with a view for a couple of days and not that interested in food then I suppose its Ok but there is better out there especially for the room rate they are charging.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank salbags
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear guest,
I feel that I have to answer to this review because I think it is a bit inappropriate to say that we look at our guests as if they are invading our space, why should we do it? if this was true we would have never thought about opening a guest house.
About whether to eat at the restaurant of our property I do not find anything annoying to our guests in this, as owners we try to be present as much as possible checking that everything is ok.
Then be there at the hotel during the evening and at the restaurant, as we consider our villa also our house open to everyone.
We are having many reviews from our guests that say that coming here is like coming to friends house, and we try to do the best to feel our guests like staying at home, not feeling like being just a number.
Regarding the cheap furniture, I cannot say how much money we have spent to restore and furnish the hotel, I can just say the we've choosen everything you see there, starting from the simple things like glasses and napkins until the main furniture or big things like the pool.
Everything has been studied and chosen in accordance to our style and nothing has been made random.
Regarding the restaurant, your opinion is not objectionable as strictly personal.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

In a tireless pursuit for the right hotel, I literally stumbled on Villa Vittoria. From the photos on the website it was exactly what I had been looking for. I was a little hesitant based on the previous reviews and the fact that it was such a new property. I worried for naught.

We stayed for 3 nights in the lake view suite with terrace. What a stunning room!! The ceilings are quite high with tall windows which give the room a bright, airy and spacious feel. The bathroom was a great size as well which included a separate bath tub. The rooms are classy- antique yet modern. When we first walked into our room it was evident it had just been cleaned as the floors were still slightly damp from mopping. I love that assurance. They placed a welcome bottle of Champagne and snacks in our room for our enjoyment. We promptly took our welcome gift onto the terrace and sat and enjoyed the picturesque view. Add a kitchen to the suite and I could live there forever. The windows are original, therefore thin, but this didn’t bother us as much as we thought it would. The benefit is listening to the lovely birds singing right outside the windows. A word of caution- if you have the terrace doors or windows open, keep the lights out in the room. We failed to do this and found our ceiling covered in gnats and mosquitoes, yikes! The staff was ever so helpful in remedying this situation.

We spent one full day out by the pool. By 10am the lounge chairs were all taken, so it’s imperative to get there early enough. You can order drinks and food by the pool as well. Don’t be surprised if they are out of items on the lunch menu; always have a back up meal in mind. The pasta dishes on the lunch menu are obviously microwaved. I understand they want quick and easy items on the lunch menu, but I would prefer a shortened menu if it meant fresh ingredients. Aside from the lounge chairs there is plenty of other seating by the pool. We noticed at lunch if the tables were taken and we sat down at one of the couches we were not served as promptly as the tables.

Dinner outside was lovely. They really encourage guests to sit outside in nice weather, who wouldn’t want to? Well, my husband and I had enough of all the cigarette smoke and wanted to enjoy a meal smoke free. We asked the staff if we could have dinner down in the cave cellar (which they utilize during inclement weather, it looks very romantic). They obliged, but when the head waiter found this out he promised us he would seat us at a table outdoors away from the smoke. He made good on his promise and even made sure the other guests sitting by us weren’t smokers. Now if that’s not customer service, I don’t know what is! The food is high quality and comes out hot from the kitchen. Again, we found they were out of a few items on the menu, make sure to have a back up. We were very glad to have meals at the villa as we didn’t have a car with us.

There is free WiFi available to guests and they also have a computer available for use down in the sitting room, but no printer. The villa is extremely clean and well kept. The sister property next door can access the pool and restaurants at Villa Vittoria. I would like to see lounge seating and pool usage for Villa Vittoria guests only. A previous post mentioned seeing staff argue, we didn’t come across that at all. It’s true they have staff there for long hours, but some of them live on grounds and we did encounter some that had days off during our stay. If you don’t have a car, ask the hotel for Stefano’s information. He was our personal driver during our stay; he was like an extended family member.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again. It’s an absolutely beautiful property with wonderful customer service. Laglio is a bit of a drive from the ferry docks, but you won’t find this type of property anywhere else in Como. We’ll be talking about Villa Vittoria for years to come.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tocknhands
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laglio
3 mi away
Royal Victoria
Royal Victoria
#1 of 6 in Varenna
II Sereno Lago di Como

Been to Relais Villa Vittoria? Share your experiences!