“A warm Italian welcome!”

Villanuvola Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 6 Meina B&B and Inns
Chichester, United Kingdom
“A warm Italian welcome!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Lets be clear about this, if you are looking for all the so called luxuries of a 'hotel' this is not the place for you. However if you do stay in a hotel you would miss the personal friendly service which you will find here. The room was not large, but was clean and it did overlook the lake and after all you only sleep there! We only stayed two nights and would have loved to have stayed longer. We arrived in Meina after a long drive from Dijon in France, Andrea made us feel relaxed and at home. Our second day was our wedding anniversary. At breakfast Andrea appeared with a traditional Italian cake to celebrate which we shared with him and the other guests. That evening with no fuss but lots of enthusiasm, Andrea organised a taxi for us and a table at a superb restaurant in Arona, which was a memorable experience all of its own.
Parking is limited to one space in the gated yard, we had to park just around the corner, but this proved trouble free even if the spaces were a little tight. If you do travel by car, I'd avoid a large SUV in the tight little streets though!
We would definitely stay at Villanuvola again, indeed we would look forward to another visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea-Villanuvola, Proprietario at Villanuvola Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I'm so glad that my friends from England enjoyed my efforts to make their staying really special
and I'd like that Villanuvola increased this added value every day.
And don't worry about driving with big cars or SUV in the streets of Meina, there's enough space!

Andrea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed for 3 days, Andrea is a very nice friendly man and the house is charming. Our nicely decorated room was a little cramped, having to juggle suitcases as it was not big enough for us to open more than one at a time. The shower temperature fluctuated and the control was extremely sensitive. The bathroom small but nicely decorated, but more than one of knobs on the vanity unit in the bathroom came off, an unnecessary irritation when trying to store toiletries, Andrea surprised us by saying that job had been outstanding for four years.
Breakfast was one loaf of white bread and brown, 2 croissants, juice and yogurt. It would have been little effort or extra expense to have added ( or at least offered) cereal and milk and a piece of fruit.
The heating seemed to be on for one hour at night from 8pm and Andrea did realise it was cold as he sat with a blanket over him on the first evening. We ended up going out to a restaurant to warm up. When another couple arrived on our last evening the house was warm and cosy as though it was then worth putting the heating on for 4 people.
The room was not serviced on the first day but was on the 2nd. The bottle of water was not refilled.
We felt this business was being run on an extremely small budget. We travelled for 3 weeks in Italy staying in B&B's and although this was more expensive than some, the standard in general and breakfast was very average.
When we booked the confirmation email informed us that credit cards were accepted. On our departure we were told that Andrea had forgotten to email us as this was not the case. We then had the embarrassment of Andrea requesting we get a cash advance from our credit card, even though we told him we don't have this facility. We did leave my husbands business card ( he is a Doctor and traceable) but we felt as though Andrea thought we would not honour our commitment even though we have a PayPal account. We then had to go to the local restaurant to ask them if we could use our credit card there so that they in turn would reimburse Andrea. My husband was becoming more and more agitated and trying to calm the situation was uncomfortable and embarrassing. This business is being run on a shoestring. We would not recommend .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea-Villanuvola, Proprietario at Villanuvola Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
I am very sorry for the review of my Australian guests. I have tried as always to make sure they had top comfort and my best attention during their staying at Villanuvola as much as I have been doing with any other guests for several years now. Actually I am sure their negative comment only depends on the hitch with the payment which occured while leaving.
Infact, they have never expressed any of the disatisfaction they put in their words in the three days they spent in my B&B. The morning of their departure, during breakfast, they joked with me and other guests, they showed me pictures of their house and invited to go and visit them in Australia. A short time after that, they wrote a comment on my guest book rich in compliments only both for the welcoming and for the beauty of the house. All this before settling the amount due.
As far as the payment case is concerned, I wish to underline that my Australian guests booked their room through www.venere.com, which while booking asks everyone for the credit card details even if the hotel reserved is not accepting of the cards as such is their policy.
In no place of the website www.venere.com, it is made clear that Villanuvola accepts credit card; I have never sent them any request either of having the credit card details or of wiring some money in advance via credit card or finally I have never sent a confirmation that I would be able to accept credit card as means of payment upon arrival. The truth is that my guests did not think that a 2-room-B&B- as such mine is - would not be able to accept credit card and mainly they have not checked the terms of payment on the official site of Villanuvola in which it's clearly written that we don't accept credit card. Finally during their staying they have never asked me wheher credit card could have been accepted or not.
The situation at the departure time was the following: my guests had to pay an outstanding amount of 270 €, they did not have any euros; only had 100 Australian dollars (about 70 euros).
When I suggested they should cash 270 € by credit card at the automatic cashier (300 mt far from my B&B) they told me they forgot the PIN without which they could not cash anything.
Then I personally brought them to the bank, spoke to the clerks to get a wire in € through their credit card but this unluckily proved to be unpossible and could only take place at an automatic cashier thru the PIN they no longer remembered.
At that time I asked a restaurant run by a couple of my friends a big big favour in order to use their POS and make them pay with credit card. If I had not found that solution, my guests - once back to Australia - would have paid from 20 to 25 € commission to wire money by international bank transfer or by paypal.
All this case has surely determined their negative commentary on Villanuvola. Beyond their positive and friendly comment on my guestbook, most of what they state regarding heating and breakfast clearly has been affected by the above. At breakfast I have given them some toasts, jam, nutella, honey, cakes and hand-made muffins, beyond 2 kinds of fresh bread, fresh croissant every morning, many tastes of different yogurts, juice and water as much as they liked. Then, I asked them which hot drink they liked drinking every morning, they have never asked for milk, cereals or fruit I would have served with pleasure along with the rest.
At the end of May, weather is warm in Italy and normally heating is off. It however worked for one hour every morning and one hour every evening, their last night for 2 subsequent hours as it was colder than usual, surely not to welcome the other couple who had meanwhile just arrived.
Moreover, the guests forgot to mention the personalized services I have offered them during the staying a bit beyond the usual welcoming I am used to reserving to my guests: for example while I was outside I was asked (by email) the train timetables to Milan, which I gave them through two emails along with any tips on how to reach and visit Milan.
They also forgot to say that I was the one to recommend the Sicilian restaurant 'la Locanda dei Fiori' they appreciated so much as to leave two reviews on tripadvisor. In that restaurant they even benefited from a discount being Villanuvola guests. No hint about this, too.
Now, I don't even feel it's the case to comment any situations more than secondary such as in the toilets/bathroom, the temperature of the shower or the lack of the refill of the bottle of water I put upon their arrival, may be they would have liked a frigobar more and pay for every single bottle they drank.....
In the end, it seems clear that the review of the Australian guests is a sort of 'punishment' for not having being able to pay by credit card. It's a real pity since I enjoyed their company and I was convinced that they also enjoyed their three days in my B&B.

Andrea Negro, the owner
Helmond, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 2, 2013

B&B Villanuvola is really relaxing en comfortable. Andrea is a great host, you get the feeling if you are at home. The room with lakeside was very nice and also the bathroom was big en everything was really clean. The breakfast was good and certanly enough choice. Andrea advised what the places of interest are en about good restaurants. Absolutly a place to come back. We loved it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Inverness, IL
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I stopped for only a day as we passed through this beautiful region. Andrea was very kind and provided a wonderful breakfast for us and our Canadian housemates. Our room was small but very comfortable, very clean and with a nice shower. I had arrived in Italy with very little currency and was unable to change dollars to Euros before we left. Andrea kindly suggested we could pay him when convenient through electronic means. We hope to go back soon and will surely ask to stay at Villanuvola B&B.

Richard & Geralyn May
Inverness, IL

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Colonia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at Villanuvola for 3 days in July and had great time. Our nearly 2 year old daughter fell in love with the place and with it's very kind owner Andrea. The garden is a beautiful playground for little children and we had a very relaxing time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
Reviewed October 18, 2011

THE ROOM
The room was nice and quiet. When we sat up in bed we were able to see the lake (bit of course it is not first row to the lake).
THE HOUSE AND THE HOST
The house is in the center of town in a friendly living area. There is a friendly and shady garden where Andrea, the host, served us breakfast every morning. During breakfast and also on other occassions Andrea took time to have a chat with us which always was fun. He was interested in what we did the day before and what we were up to. In a unobstrusive manner he had good tips and advice.
THE TOWN
It is a small town, no mass tourism, party zones, big hotel complexes. I rather had the feeling to be surrounded by locals or whole-season tourists. But still there was a good infrastructure for bathing, having a glass of wine and dinner. Two bigger towns are very close by and offer the possibility for short or full-day trips.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vorname N
ramat hasharon
Reviewed October 6, 2011

There are 2 rooms, one of them is small, the bed takes allmost the entire room but we had a living room and kitchen for ourself.
The host is a very nice guy.
The breakfast is a typical italien (very poor) but you can bring your food and use the frige.
The place is 15 minutes drive from stersa and close to most of the maggorie atraction.
I recommend this place for staying.

Room Tip: Ask for the bigger room!!!