“Wonderful Hotel”

Hotel Gardenia al Lago
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Gargnano
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights at the hotel. This was our second trip here. This time we were with friends who were in the lakes region for the first time. We were not disappointed. The lakeview room with balcony was wonderful and the rooms was perfect. We couldn't have asked for more. We ate both nights at the hotel. One night in the garden, spectacular, and the second night inside. The meals were great and the service was the best. We would come back again.

Room Tip: Choose a room with water view and balcony. You will not regret it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sandy H

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a delightful hotel run by a nice family. We were greeted on arrival and helped with our luggage. Wonderful areas to retreat and relax. The garden and lounge were very nice. Breakfast in the morning right on the lake was more than anyone could ask. Always a delicious variety. Free wifi in the lobby and garden area. It would have been nice to have in the room, but then it forced you to get out and enjoy the beauty - which was a good thing. Very close to walk to the town of Gargnano and many beautiful sights along the way. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank pgluke
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Gardenia al Lago is full of charm, from the hotel itself, to its location right on the lake to the staff / owners.

The room was tastefully furnished with antique furniture and a new comfy bathroom with a big bath. The interior was stylish - especially the original 1920s decor.

The hotel offered a very relaxed way to enjoy Lake Garda; about 1km / an easy walk to Gargnano with its pretty little harbour and waterfront restaurants.

Amazing style for a 3* hotel. Peaceful, relaxed and stylish.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank katielips
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have just spent four perfect days at Hotel Gardenia with my husband. The Arosio family welcomed us back for the fourth time like old friends and it was a pleasure to see many familiar faces among the staff. We were lucky to get a standard rooms as ours was a last-minute booking but I could not fault the room we had in any way. Dining out on the terrace for breakfast, lunch and dinner was a treat and the service was , as always, impeccable and nothing was ever too much trouble. We made the most of the beautiful gardens and swam in the lake every day.

Villa di Gargnano is a beautiful, quiet back-water - never heaving with tourists and great for amateur photographers like myself as it is so unspoilt. The connection to DHLawrence adds as extra fascination to the place and I would advise reading his book Twilight in Italy which captures the atmosphere of the place even in modern times.

My choice every time I need to re-charge my batteries -I will undoubtedly be back there soon!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is a lovely hotel, family run in a beautiful setting. We stayed for 5 nights and really relaxed. We didn't have a car and did many walks and boat trips. Half board is a great deal with a huge eat as much as you like buffet and a four course evening meal. Meals are taken in the pretty garden with stunning views over Lake Garda. I would say the hotel is perfect as a romantic getaway or for older, more discerning guests. Swimming in the lake direct from the garden was really special.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzandury518
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Gardenia al Lago for a week, hoping to relax and recuperate. I could not have picked a better place. Gargnano itself is 3 sleepy villages with ports that link together, and Hotel Gardenia is situated in Villa. From the street, the hotel does not look like anything special, and indeed when I arrived and initially saw my room I thought it was pretty and functional, but nothing more. The Hotel Gardenia al Lago, however, swiftly works its magic on you, with the highlight being its terrace, outside and inside dining area, and the garden, that have breathtaking views of the lake. Indeed, you can literally step off the garden into the lake via a step ladder that leads directly into it. Having intended to travel extensively around Lake Garda, I actually spent my time lounging and reading in the Hotel Gardenia's garden on a sun lounger, and swimming in the lake to cool down. After a day of doing this I realised that this truly would be the highlight of my holiday, and an experience that I could not beat!

Rooms are simple, with antique furniture, and spotless bathrooms. They have wi-fi access (there is also wi-fi access in the garden) and (noisy) air conditioning. The beds are firm. There are thin curtains that are perfect in the hot weather, but if you are someone who has to sleep with thick curtains in the pitch black then you might need to bring an eye shade with you! I was in an Atmosfera room which had a view of the lake and the mountains, which was wonderful to wake up to in the mornings. My room also had a little balcony with wicker chairs. The hotel was built in the 1920s I think, but clearly had a lovely refurbishment in the 1950s, and has pretty tiled floors and 50s furniture and detailing.

Breakfast on warm days is on the terrace, and was the best breakfast that I have ever had on the continent in a hotel. Given that the Italians have bread and coffee for breakfast, Hotel Gardenia made a real effort here, offering a spread of cold ham and salami, cheese, yoghurt, fresh fruit, a sort of cake, and a massive type of cereal bar with ranges of muesli, granola and cereals, along with a large selection of different types of seeds and dried fruits (e.g. flax seeds, cranberries). There was also a facility to boil very fresh eggs, along with different types of fresh bread and croissants. Eating this on the terrace overlooking the lake was a lovely experience. On colder days, breakfast was served in the dining room, which was also spectacular, with three of the four walls being on the lake, with large windows. I really thought this would be special in the evening in the autumn or winter - it really couldn't be beaten.

The hotel does excellent food in the afternoons and evenings as well, and I had lunch there on most days and thought it was some of the best food I had on my visit to Gargnano. If you wish to laze by the lake in the garden, one of the hotel waitresses will also come and take orders for iced coffees, chocolate, alcoholic drinks, and gelato while you are lying in the garden. Prices were very reasonable. The hotel also has a very pretty little bar and a terrace where you can have a drink out the front. I found all of the staff to be very helpful and friendly, including the waiting staff and the cleaning staff who work very hard.

If there is anything I would like to change about this hotel it is the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. Breakfast is not until 8, and being a Brit I found myself waking up early and desperate for a cup of tea!

I think if you are someone who expects big corporate style hotels (and I have nothing against them) which offer large, plush rooms with heavy furnishings and cooked American style breakfasts, then this hotel may not be for you. If you like something simple, charming and with character (but not quirky), then Hotel Gardenia is certainly it. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view. They only cost a little more and you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Kris M
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at The Gardenia Hotel for 4 nights. It was perfect. The hotel was beautiful, very stylish but informal and friendly. The location was exactly what we had hoped for i.e. overlooking the lake with easy access from the garden to clear water for swimming. The local village was very pretty with shops and restaurants but not spoiled by tourism. The breakfasts were delicious and dining in the garden on warm evenings delightful .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple