“Probably the best hotel I've ever stayed at”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gargnano
Grand Hotel a Villa Feltrinelli
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Gargnano
Bangkok, Thailand
“Probably the best hotel I've ever stayed at”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a truly amazing hotel. We stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon. It was one of the highlights of the honeymoon and well worth the considerable expense.

It's incredibly beautiful: the public rooms, the guest rooms, the exterior, the grounds and the view of the surrounding area. Everything is maintained to a very high standard. They even have a full-size, immaculate croquet lawn.

The service is also wonderful.

I like that they don't nickle-and-dime you. The room charges are very high, but many things are complimentary that other hotels charge for. We arrives with two weeks worth of laundry and it was returned to our room the next day all beautifully wrapped and free of charge. When we went out to dine at local restaurants, the hotel's Mercedes van sent and collected us, again free of charge.

The hotel's restaurant has good service and the food is not bad. If I had a criticism, it would be that there is rather too long a wait between courses, which, in conjunction with multiple free courses they give you, ends up making the meal rather a drawn out affair. If you are staying multiple nights, I would recommend eating in the restaurant one night, and eating elsewhere on other nights (La Tortuga and Vicovetere) are both good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jjcbkk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,860 helpful votes
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was a spontaneous stay sandwiched between a busy few weeks.
I knew it was good but wasn't prepared for how good it really was.
We had been to Lake Como many times and Villa D'Este was always my benchmark for quality.
I have now had to revise my thoughts and add another dimension.
It is absolute heaven and you do need to stay for more than 2 nights to appreciate its quality.
For example, I have a normal aversion to mini-bars in normal international chains and I avoid them like the plague.
It was only on the second day that I discovered that everything in the fridge was part of the tariff.
I found the service absolutely exceptional.
If we went anywhere, a staff member followed us (discretely) and asked if he could help in any way.
We wandered down to the lake and within seconds, one of the staff appeared.
He offered coffee and again ths was part of the tariff.
The lake itself is gorgeous and with only 21 rooms, you feel that you are almost on a tropical island by yourself - absolute paradise.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is a special place. Peaceful, romantic, exclusive and yes...expensive.

Our room was lovely. At night we left the windows and shutters open and all you could hear was the sound of the lake lapping up against the shore, and in the morning you were gently stirred by the bird song. There were other guests staying in the Villa but it was as if we were the only ones there.

Our bathroom was perfect too - stocked with Parma di aqua products, beautiful dressing gowns and fluffy towels.

The public areas in the Villa are all buffed and polished to perfection, showing a great attention to detail.

Breakfast on the terrace is a delight. It is worth waiting for the fresh fruit platter - everything is peeled and sliced to order. coffee is good and very strong.

We enjoyed a very special dinner down by the lakeside (apparently not do-able later in the season when the mosquitos spoil the occasion). Excellent service at dinner - attentive but not intrusive. Lunch on the terrace was nice although we found the service was a little slow - but if you are not in a rush then no worries.

We were lucky to enjoy beautiful weather in may. The outdoor pool is delightful.

Without wishing to be unduly negative there were a few things lacking which I would have expected from a hotel of this calibre and cost - (apart from a few days at start/end of season room rates start from around 1300 euros per night inc tax/service) eg no fruit in the room, no chocolates/treats left at turndown service (if you don't count rose petals in the toilet!), no red wine in mini bar, no service around the pool (I have got used to hotels that offer surprise palate fresheners to pool guests eg fruit skewers, mini smoothies etc. Things you don't realise you want until offered).

I acknowledge that there are plenty of other extras included eg laundry, free mini bar containing half bottle white wine, half bottle champagne & soft drinks; and nuts and mini shortbread replenished daily. Plus we ordered coffee each morning in our room and only discovered on check out that this was also complimentary.

This is a beautiful hotel. Quietly discreet. Romantic. Special.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the Main Villa
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dee090
ctyankee20
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Amazing! Literally what I believe is the best hotel in the world. Ask for a drink one way and you never have to ask again. The entire staff immediately know your name. The mini bar is included with the room. One night they had dinner for us in the dinning room alone. They did all our laundry from a ten day trip without our having to ask at no charge. Truely like staying at a friends house-a very wealthy friend with amazing taste.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are cheaper and also great.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ctyankee20
london
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Feltrinelli still continues to place itself another level above anything else in the world. I have no doubt that anyone staying here is a demanding guest, yet the staff conduct themselves with a casual confidence unsurpassed in the world. Ambience amazing...food amazing....rooms amazing....setting ridiculous.....peter and gabi are fantastic, their team of loyal staff even better. Oh and maybe the words best hotel laundry.

Room Tip: No bad rooms here
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mronion
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Perhaps the most esquisite Hotel experience - its like staying inthe most beautifull of private homes as a welcome guests. Furnished with beautiful antiques and set in the most gorgeous grounds complete with ancient terreced lemon groves.

The view across the lake is priceless.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed in this fantastc hotel for three nights in May and to us it was the most wonderful experience. We didn't even feel we were staying in a hotel but rather with some friends - very wealthy ones! :-)

I was greeted with a bouquet of flowers on arrival, and after having been shown to our room a maid arrived and sweetly asked if we wanted her to do the unpacking for us! We declined the kind offer, but felt so welcomed by the friendly staff.

The grounds are simply beautiful. We used to walk around or just sit by the lake at sunset sipping a cocktail and eating some delightful little nibbles. The staff was so attentive, almost knowing what we wanted before we did.

Our room on the first floor with a partial view of the lake was absolutley beautiful and so comfortable! I have read some of the other reviews, and one guests thought the rose petals in the toilet was too much, but I thougth it was charming and I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the floral decoration made of petals at the end of the bed. It must have taken them hours! The outdo the Lake Palace of Udaipur!

We took a boat trip one day and had lunch on the terrace overlooking the lake at a lovely old place, Punta san Vigilio.

We only ate at the restaurant one evening, finding it quite good but a bit too formal. The staff suggested two charming places down in Gargano for the other two evenings. They were both very good, right on the lake with children - Italian, VERY well behaved - playing quietly around.

Yes, Villa Feltrinelli is VERY expensive - however you do get extras like the free minibar and the beautifully done laundry - but, just for once, if you can afford it, do go! It is worth it! I felt like "una Principessa d'Italia for three days, and that was a VERY nice feeling!

I have never been to paradise, but I wonder if this isn't better. We would love to come back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tita51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gargnano
Hotel Gardenia al Lago
#18 of 19 in Gargnano
Hotel Villa Europa
Hotel Villa Europa
#8 of 19 in Gargnano

Been to Grand Hotel a Villa Feltrinelli? Share your experiences!