“A great little local”

Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Strangford
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Cuan is a family owned and run Guest Inn. We have a wonderful reputation for seafood. All our raw produce is locally sourced with a strong focus on seasonality - we do The Simple Things Superbly allowing the food to speak for itself.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A great little local”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stopped at the Cuan for lunch one day in June expecting typical pub grub and what a lovely surprise. The food was tasty and the price wasn't too bad either. We had the crab claws to start and they were by far the highlight of the meal. For a main course I had the sole fillets and my partner had the scampi. The sole was cooked perfectly and the scampi was the best my partner had ever tasted. Have planned another trip in July and can't wait.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Sonja O
, Owner at The Cuan, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Sonja O
I was delighted to read about your 'find' - The Cuan. Seafood is our specialism and the daily specials board keeps the choices exciting and varied but many of our guests have their favourites two of which you enjoyed; the scampi and the crab claws with chowder being our signature dish. We look forward to your return visit in July.
Many thanks for your review.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and friendly service”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had 3 breakfast and 3 evening meals here last week as part of our 3 night stay and enjoyed every meal. Between our party of 8 we sampled a lot of the menu on the first evening. Several of us particularly enjoyed the chowder and the mussels, and another evening I had a steak which was cooked to perfection. We never managed 3 courses as the portions were generous and 6 of us also had breakfast to eat! Service was friendly and attentive, and the conversations we had with Peter gave us interesting background into the area. On our last morning Colman gave me a tour of the chip shop to see the murals of Strangford on the walls, an unusual end to an enjoyable visit.

• Visited June 2012
, Owner at The Cuan, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Janice T
It is such a delight to read your feedback on your stay at The Cuan. Colman is quite a character and the 'banter' between Peter and Colman is great entertainment. Breakfast is their best double act!!
We look forward to a return visit to sample some more of our delightful dishes Janice T.
Regards
Caroline, Peter & Colman
North Down, Northern Ireland.
“Try the Spinnaker instead”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I’ve dined here many times over the years and I’m disappointed it has gone downhill in my estimation, despite winning “A taste of Ulster 2012” Food was just ok,, service poor, staff uninterested, waitress walked past my empty glass several times until I asked for another beer, then had to ask for a wine list. The best place to eat in Strangford is a pretty restaurant called “The Spinnaker” it’s just up the street and has a full licence which also allows you to bring your own without a corkage charge! Try it you'll be glad you did.

Visited June 2012
5 Thank Bob-The-Barbour
, Owner at The Cuan, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Bob-The-Barbour
I was very disappointed to read your feedback, it is not typical of The Cuan I do wish you had drawn it to the attention of a senior member of staff to enable us to evaluate the situation and make amends for your experience. Our reputation for customer service is exceptional it is a key priority to everyones experience in The Cuan - 3 successive years as Taste of Ulster's top scoring restaurant with 100 % awarded in 2012 does not happen without unfaltering attention to our food produce and our service. Nevertheless we are but human and if we did slip up during your visit i apologise sincerely.
One thing that I check before dining out is the establishments Food Standards Agency's score for food handling proceedures, you may find that an interesting comparison exercise.
yours sincerely
Caroline & Peter
Cardiff
“Really Good and Welcoming Place”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I visited here with my cousin and family and we were made very welcome by the owner. We did not have a starter and when we saw the size of the main courses we were very glad we did not! I had the crab claws and they were amazing - all twenty seven of them!! I had ordered potatoes and coleslaw to go with them but really did not need them. Bread came with the dish to soak up the wonderful sauce - I had the creamy garlic one - but it was just a little too crumbly for me. My husband had the fish soup which he pronounced one the best ever - my cousin had haddock which he loved and his wife had the scampi - also delicious. The only person who was disappointed was my god daughter who had ordered the southern fried chicken - but only because the BBQ sauce came on top of the chicken and she did not like it. In hindsight we should have asked for the sauce on the side, because it did say on the menu is came with the sauce. The service was excellent as was the wine. There was a display of local artists when we were there which were due to be auctioned for charity. The atmosphere was lovley and I would definitely return.

• Visited May 2012
TheCuanCoDown, Owner at The Cuan, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Salthewelsjhgirl
I was delighted to read about your excellent visit to The Cuan. We are very appreciative of you taking the time to share your experience with the rest of the world. I see your husband enjoyed our chowder, that is our signature dish and along with the wheaten bread is one of the dishes that has not changes (or left the menu) since our opening 21 years ago! The recipe for the chowder is available on our website BUT the challange is to make it as The Cuan does!
Look out for one of Peter's cookery demonstrations in our Calendar of Events for 2012.
We hope to see you again.
Many thanks
Stamford
“Nice lunch - fresh ingredients”
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

We had lunch at this restaurant with my Aunt & Uncle. The food was delicious - the scampi was homemade and tasted very fresh. Others in our party had the seabass and smoked haddock - all reported it as being very good.

I would certainly return here in the future if my travels were to bring me to this beautiful area of the world again.

TheCuanCoDown, Owner at The Cuan, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear FairLady80
We were delighted to read your wonderful feedback. Our new summer menu is proving exceptionally popular. What will you choose on your return visit? Our menus are on our website and there is a daily extention to these choices with a vibrant specials board.
Many thanks