“stay here!”

The Stapleton Arms
Oxford, United Kingdom
“stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

stop off here on your way to the west country, even if you don't really need to. Make it a part of your summer holiday. Stay here instead of at the wedding venue you are attending in the area, get here early, have a ploughmans and a pint for Saturday lunch, eat the fabulous food here, drink the glorious ales here, relax with the papers here, stay in room one here (the only room we have ever stayed in which actually is big, never mind described as such), enjoy the atmosphere here, order the full breakfast here. Come here without the kids, just for one night, and don't organise to do anything but lounge around here, except maybe using the wellies lined up at the foot of the stairs to have a yomp around the local lanes. just make sure you are back in the bar for around six to enjoy the laidback atmosphere and have a drink. I have never written a review on one of these sites before. Thanks Stapleton people, you are doing it right, hope you thrive.

Room Tip: room one for size and seating and sitting in the window
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

My name is James and I am part of the Party Pioneers disco company based in south Wales. I visited the stapleton arms on August 18th as I was doing a children's party outdoors. My first impressions were positive as the atmosphere was great and the layout was comfortable. I decided to try some food in between the break at the party. I ordered a Fish and Chips both home-made. I must say it was the finest fish and chips I have ever had. They had a wide selection of drinks available from local breweries to better known brands. Since we were only there a few hours, we didn't require the use of the actual hotel but I expect it to be a very good standard. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. This is how a restaurant/hotel should be!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank James B
Cornwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

This small hotel/public house is located in a quiet country village, Food was excellent - served by young, enthusiastic and helpful staff. Sunday lunch roast pork: it would be impossible to find better elsewhere. The accommodation has been beautifully restored - the four rooms had everything one could possibly want. A delightful, relaxing three day break made perfect by the " diamond in the crown " by the name of Sophie.

Room Tip: This depends upon whether you want a shower or a bath - our shower could blast away any cobwebs. Lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReginaldFluff
Bath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed in Room 1 in March 2012 and found the pub, room and food to be welcoming, clean and generally excellent. It is certainly off the beaten track, so plan ahead if you are hoping to catch a taxi (we were off to a wedding) but we would certainly stay there again, for the stunning breakfast if nothing else!

Room Tip: Room 1 is large and clean but the bed a little soft.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I know this place so knew what to expect. We were not disappointed. Young, well mannered & knowledgeable staff were attentive & saw to our every need. I asked for a decent glass of white wine to finish the most succulent, well cooked burger I have ever had (sorry America!) & the young lady brought me a sample of what she would drink herself. 10 out of ten young "Soph" (the name on my receipt!) as she hit the target in the bulls eye. Outrageously expensive at £6:10 a glass but trust me, worth every penny, as was the meal. We are told that England was always "50 years behind the USA" & I would have agreed with at in my teens but this is undeniably a world class pub. There would be little point complaining on here about the price of the food as you can read the figures on the menu before you buy. Ales remain good value.Treat yourself in a stylish establishment. Simply fabulous.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xanthe C
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

We visited The Stapleton Arms for lunch today with our friends in a group of 7 including 3 teenagers. The location was in a lovely village. The atmosphere was very welcoming and the staff friendly. We ordered a main course from the menu, although there was good choice there was only one vegetarian option so I ended up with the beetroot salad, personally I would have preferred a cooked option. I enjoyed this but felt rather short changed that i could'nt enjoy a choice of food as did the rest of our party. The ploughmans were enjoyed by the teenagers but more bread would have been better. The roast dinners were cooked to perfection. I felt that although the food was good it was pricey. The sweet menu was good, again pricey with prices at £6. The waiters/waitresses were attentive and the food did'nt take long to arrive.
I would not visit again due to the lack of catering for vegetarians........

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

The Stapleton Arms has got lots going for it. A pretty village location, lovely rooms and great food. The staff were also friendly and laid-back. Unfortunately we experienced a few glitches with our room (s) during our 2-night visit. The management fixed all of these quickly and we guessed that these were down to bad luck and low staffing, especially after reading the other glowing reviews on Tripadvisor.

So despite our experience, I'd still recommend this to others, particularly the bar/restaurant. Even if you can't stay over, it's worth making a detour for the food alone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Ludwell
Hunters Lodge Inn
Hunters Lodge Inn
#1 of 8 in Wincanton

Been to The Stapleton Arms? Share your experiences!