“Great Sunday lunch”

Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nestling in the Somerset countryside close to the Devon border, The Holywell Inn is a family owned and operated traditional village pub. The owners, Vic and Paulette Bigg, have lived in the area all their lives and fell in love with the charms and location of this pub many years ago. In June 2011 they managed to fulfill their dream of ownership and completely yet sympathetically restored the whole building whilst restructuring and relaunching the whole business. All of the offerings in their traditional British menu are now freshly prepared by Paulette using local ingredients whenever possible, her Sunday lunches should NOT be missed! You will always find Vic behind the bar, meeting, greeting and serving his customers with a wonderful selection of local and not so local ales, fine wines and spirits not to mention a superb selection of coffees freshly ground and brewed to order PLEASE NOTE - opening hours are - Weds-Sat lunches 12pm-3pm Weds-Sat evenings 6pm-11pm Sun-Tue closed all day.
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Just had a very generous helping of Sunday lunch with my family.
From the moment our booking was taken on the phone in a very professional manor I might add to leaving everything was great.

2  Thank Matt H
b1ggv, Owner at The Holywell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Hi Matt H Many thanks for a lovely review - the whole team here are really pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for The Holywell Inn

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

A must try, would definitely recommend. Holywell Inn is a very pleasant place to eat, we were seated in a lovely part that was like home from home, with comfortable settees. The food was very good, with exceptionally large portions and reasonable prices.

1  Thank Dulciecapper
b1ggv, Owner at The Holywell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Hi Dulciecapper, Many thanks for your lovely feedback, the whole team here are very pleased you enjoyed your visit to The Holywell Inn and look forward to to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

There is a smiling and warm welcome here to be had. The menu was varied with good specials. I chose the fish cake of the day which came with a tasty pretty side salad. This was followed by the lamb and mint suet pudding. A good large individual pudding nicely flavoured but let down only by the tired veg. The carrots were good but the broad beans undercooked and the Brussels and broccoli grey looking and tired.
I enjoyed my meal bar the veg but give this an excellent because of the overall service, atmosphere and value for money.

b1ggv, Owner at The Holywell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Hi Alan B Many thanks for your kind review of our little pub, we are really pleased you enjoyed your time here but are disappointed that you found the vegetables not to your liking - all our veg is delivered from a local supplier daily and freshly cooked on the evening of service - I guess it is inevitable that because of varying tastes and requirements we may not get it exactly right every time, nevertheless we welcome all comments and try to learn from any constructive criticisms we may receive.
Many thanks again we look forward to your return some day

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have struggled over the years since moving to Taunton to find a pub with a combination of excellent food, a good atmosphere and friendly staff. I need to look no further as I found it last night!!!
I scoured the internet and looked at Trip Advisor and having read the comments decided that so many people leaving good comments about The Holywell could not be wrong. I wanted to treat my husband, daughter and her partner to celebrate my husbands birthday and found this gem. The food was excellent (and served on piping hot plates which I love) by a very friendly waitress.
Three of us had steak which was cooked to perfection and I had the fish pie which was delicious and the portions were huge!! So much so that in fact we did not have enough room for a sweet as we had already had a starter.
I had taken the precaution of booking a table in advance and was glad I did as the car park was packed which is a good sign for a quality pub on a Thursday evening.
We have already decided that it is well worth the short drive from Taunton to visit again (& again) in the future.

2  Thank MrsG20
b1ggv, Owner at The Holywell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Hi MrsG20 Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind and informative review - I have passed your comments to our team and they are very pleased that you had such an enjoyable experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We decided to have a meal out and had heard that the Holywell Inn had had a face lift. We were not disappointed. We were shown to the bar and settled in a comfy sofa to study the menu. Not particularly extensive but there was quite a choice, with some daily specials. We ordered and not long afterwards our food was ready on the table. For starters we had fish cake (a little disappointing) and the soup of the day - a very yummy courgette, potato and cheddar cheese. We both had a delicious fish pie to follow with a nice selection of fresh vegetables. Ice cream to finish off (we didn't have room for anything more substantial such as the cheesecake or crumble) a very pleasant evening, in cosy surroundings.

b1ggv, Owner at The Holywell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hi Monilovey Many thanks for leaving a kind and informative review of your experience at The Holywell Inn - details noted with reference to the fishcake - maybe we will look at changing the recipe or the dish entirely.