“Short stay in Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Somma Lombardo
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
“Short stay in Hotel”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We choose this hotel based on some of the reviews on this site, and we were not disappointed.
We arrived at Milan Malpensa airport and called the hotel for the shuttle bus, it arrived in about 10min. On arriving at the hotel we were greeted by the reception staff whose English was not perfect but it was ok. We had booked a king size room, which was very clean the bed was massive and really comfortable the only down side was there was no bath only a shower, and air conditioning was very good.

Used the restaurant, the staff there were very nice and pleasant, although they all were not fluent in English the head waitress was, and made a point of getting to know you.
For breakfast there was a buffet with the choice of hot food to order the lunch and dinner menu were basicly the same with not much choice, we had chicken which was really nice. The gym was good the equipment looked fairly new with t.v's on them they also provided you with head phones.
All in all our stay at the hotel was a very pleasant and relaxing time and would most certainly stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HGI_Milan_Malpensa, Web Mkt.-Revenue-Booking & Events Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Goldenstar J,
thank you very much for your comments about your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa.
We hope to have you soon again at our property.

Web Mkt.-Revenue-Booking & Events Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The staff is exceptionally well trained and very helpful, the facility is stunningly appointed and beautiful. GREATLY exceeds expectations and is a value. Nice Menu, waiters are friendly. Front desk team is very helpful, even the shuttle drive and cleaning staff went out of their way to make you feel welcomed.

Dear Keith S,
your review fills us with pride and joy.
See you soon again at the Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa.

Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I chose to stay here because an earlier visit this year was very good and the staff recommended some trips near Lago Maggiore. We drove to Domodossola to enjoy the Centovalli railway to Locarno and back, we then drove down the side of the lake back to the hotel - an enjoyable experience. would stay here again, but would suggest eating out in the evening due to the limited menu

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGI_Milan_Malpensa, Web Mkt.-Revenue-Booking & Events Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear PeterUK2013,
thank you very much for your review.
We are happy to read that you have appreciated your stay and also your trip near the hotel.
We hope to have you soon... maybe to continue your trip.

Bochum
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Went there for the 2nd time and have to say the hotel service improved. Breakfast buffet is now really nice especially for Italy.
Only downside still not enough staff to handle big groups from Asia arriving but overall all people did much better. It seems they have been trained recently.

The price is very convenient and you get a lot of value. Please don't forget- it is mainly an airport hotel.
Reading the other complaints I can't really confirm but I would always return to this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear tkvetina,
thank you very much for your positive review.
We hope to have you soon again at our property.

San Diego, California
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Malpensa Airport in mid-September 2013. It is basically a nice hotel, with clean rooms of adequate size, good-sized bathrooms, and nice amenities. A double room with breakfast for two was 100 Euros per night, less than half of the price of the Sheraton that is actually located in Malpensa. The air conditioning in the room worked well. The bathroom was of good size, although it had only a shower (no tub). The shower worked well, but the shower stall was a thin, plastic, free-standing enclosure. It was good that it was thin: the opening was not big enough to allow a large person to easily get into and out of the shower without having to bend the enclosure. The breakfast was very good. There was a wide variety of both buffet and (included) to-order menu items, both hot and cold.

However, the other aspects of the Hilton left us feeling cheated.

The Hilton is located about a 12 minute ride from the Sheraton at Terminal 1 of Malpensa, when there is no traffic. Part of the reason for using an American hotel chain is that you don’t expect to have English problems with the staff. You have to call to get the shuttle to come to get you at the airport. I had to have the person at the Hilton repeat the directions on where to meet the shuttle three times before I was finally able to understand them, because his English was so poor. I felt cheated. In Terminal 1, you have to take the lift to the -1 floor where the Sheraton is located. You actually need to either walk through the Sheraton (which the Sheraton does not like), or walk out past the Sheraton, to the front of the Sheraton on a small parking lot where there is a stop for the airport bus. This is between the Sheraton and a small cafe called the Time Cafe. Although the driving time from the hotel was only 12 minutes, it took almost 40 minutes for the shuttle to arrive after I called. The shuttle is advertised as “24/7.” I felt cheated.

Note that at 8:00 am on a Monday morning, the drive from the Hilton to Terminal 1 departures at Malpensa took well over 20 minutes, because of traffic.

When we arrived at the hotel, we asked about getting the shuttle back to the airport. We had thought we might take the train from Malpensa into Milan for the afternoon, and we also needed to get to the airport at 9:00 am the following morning. We were told that the shuttle only ran from the hotel to Malpensa one time per hour, on the hour, and you had to make reservations in advance (indeed, the shuttle could only hold about six people and their luggage). That made it impractical to go back to Malpensa that afternoon, and it meant that we had to take the 8:00 am shuttle and stand and wait at the airport for 45 minutes to be there at 9:00 am the following morning. Technically, the shuttle did run “24/7,” but it hardly was continuously available, as expected. I felt cheated.

The staff at the front desk of the Hilton had relatively limited English. We had to get up early the next morning, and wanted to eat an early dinner. The restaurant in the hotel did not start serving until 7:30 pm. We asked if there were any other places to eat in town, and if any of them started serving earlier. We had a great deal of difficulty in making ourselves understood (or, perhaps, the staff didn’t want to understand), and were made to feel that we were imposing on the staff by asking the question. We were finally told that there were no places within walking distance, but that there were two other places in town that would come to get us and take us to dinner. We were told they did not start serving any earlier. We later were able to find at least two pizza restaurants on the Web that were within walking distance, although we couldn’t find out when they opened. I felt cheated.

The general attitude of the front-desk staff was poor. They made me feel I was imposing on their time to ask a question. Their limited English (which sometimes seemed to vary in how well they understood what I was asking, which frankly made me suspicious) made asking questions difficult.

When we checked in, we were given a coupon that said that if we spent 35 Euros at the hotel restaurant we would receive 1000 HHonors bonus points. We ended up eating dinner at the hotel restaurant. When the waitress first came to take our order, I took out the coupon and placed it on the table in front of her. It remained there throughout dinner. When the bill came, the total was 34.50 Euros. I asked her if we couldn’t order a bottle of water to make the 35 Euros, and she replied that couldn’t be done because the check had already been made out -- and then said that if she had known we had the coupon, she would have said something! I felt very cheated!

The food in the restaurant was not good. I ordered the ravioli. What I received was best described as a strange sort of tortellini. It was supposed to be stuffed with blue cheese, walnuts, and ham. It was stuffed with a strange-tasking sweet cheese, some sort of unidentifiable nut, and no ham. It was served in a congealed white sauce. We were brought cold bread at the start of the meal. Toward the end of the meal, the waitress brought one warm roll to my wife, but had none to offer me. She didn’t come back. Service was horribly slow. People who came long after us and ordered more courses than us were finished well before we were. At the end of the meal, I felt cheated.

In recent years, I have noticed a tendency of Hilton as a corporation and individual Hilton properties to make attractive offers or to offer attractive amenities and then have some unexpected, unadvertised aspect of the arrangement that keeps you from receiving the full expected value. I’m sure someone at Hilton thinks this is clever: they get the business, and cheat the customer out of having to provide the reward. That was the feeling my wife and I had throughout our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Malpensa. In this case, it will cost the Hilton over the long term. I am on a committee of an organization that organizes major conferences (1500 attendees, 3500 room nights) on a regular basis. This experience has simply reinforced my belief that Hilton properties should be avoided if possible.

If you’re looking for an off-site hotel near Malpensa, I suggest you first try to find one that has a shuttle that runs on an “as-needed” basis, at the convenience of the guests rather than at the convenience of the hotel. You might then locate the hotel on Google, and do a “search nearby” to see what restaurants are within walking distance. That’s what I’ll be doing, next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Engineer63
Dear Engineer63,
thank you for leaving your review about our hotel.
We are very sorry to read that, apart the structure that you have found fine, all our services have been negative for you.
For us, in fact, the most important thing is the service and the persons who do their best to offer a good experience of stay to all the Guests.
Unfortunately we haven't reach this result with you.
One of the most negative point for you has been the shuttle: we have a free shuttle service 24/7 because this service is available each time of the day and of the night on request. At the arrival the Guest has to call the hotel to have the shuttle and sometimes can happen that the shuttle has just left the airport and for this reason who arrive later has to wait till the shuttle arrive to the hotel and come back again to the airport. At the departure the Guest has to book the shuttle for the departure to have the assurance of having the service on time for the flight. Our total seats are 8 on the shuttle.
Surely we will take the good suggestions to improve our service immediately where possible.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Picked this place based on the reviews on tripadvisor and I wasn't disappointed. Upon arrival at MXP I tried to call for the hotel shuttle but was unable to connect because of my cell phone. That's my fault and not the hotel's though. We decided to cab it over to the hotel which cost 17€. A little steep for the 5 mile drive to Somma Lombardo. The hotel is very clean and efficient. One of the nicest Hilton Garden Inn's I've stayed in. Check in was efficient and the staff was very friendly. My room was exceptionally clean and really didn't show any signs of being worn out. The only negative comment I have about the room was that the warm water in the shower cycled from warm to scalding hot repeatedly. Other than that, everything was really good. Breakfast is also pretty good with a good variety of selections. We ate at the restaurant for lunch and it was really good! Stefano was a great server. Very attentive and helpful. Overall, a very good experience here. If you need to be near the airport, this is a great spot. While its not right next door the airport, it's close enough. The downtown area of Somma Lombardo is a 10 minute walk with some good restaurants and pubs.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 10boom
Dear 10boom,
we are very happy to read that your experience at our property has been positive.
We hope to see you soon.

Phoenix, United States
Reviewed September 14, 2013

A very nice HGI hotel with great access to N. Italy countryside & Alps but a little far out from Milan! Luckily my distributor personnel picked me up at the hotel to visit customers. When I did drive into Milan it took 45 minutes but I left after 9:00am to miss rush hour. Taking a local train might be the best alternative!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Brian T
Dear Brian T,
thank you very much for your review.
You are right that we are 45 minutes by car from Milan and the faster and easier way to reach the city is by train from Malpensa Airport train station.

We hope to see you soon again at our property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Somma Lombardo
Crowne Plaza Milan - Malpensa Airport
Cardano Hotel Malpensa
Cardano Hotel Malpensa
#1 of 6 in Cardano al Campo

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa? Share your experiences!