“What a Find!”

Samarcanda Ristorante Pizzeria
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Place where you can eat a very nice food or pizza, listen good chillout music in a etnic ambient very close to the malpensa airport and idea hotel Malpensa and Holiday inn express Malpensa, also possible drink nice cocktails and good selection of wine and beers on tap and bottle.
Flemington, NJ
“What a Find!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The staff at the Holiday Inn at Malpensa Airport had only two suggestions for dinner: The Crown Plaza Hotel or Samarcanda. We found ourselves walking two blocks to the 'restaurant, pizzeria, lounge bar,' hoping for a decent meal. We were pleasantly surprised to find a brightly lit bar with a lovely dining area, a great wait staff, and an extensive menu. The wine list included a Sicilian nero d'avola, one of our favorite reds. The appetizer of local cheeses was delicious. And while the specials sounded wonderful, for us nothing could top the thin-crust pizza from the wood oven - a perfect ending to our trip to Italy.

Visited November 2012

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,256 helpful votes
“Average at Best”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Combination local restaurant and one serving nearby hotels. Food and service were below average (especially for Italy) but not to the point of being rated poor. Pizza's had limited taste and were probably the least favorite ones we had during our 15 days in Italy.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank RLWOrangePark
Piedmont, California
“Best Pizza in Italy”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We ate here on on first night in Italy, on our first visit to Italy. We thought the pizza was very good. And even though we ate some other very good pizza, this was still the best pizza. Nice glass of white wine. Very good salad. Reasonable prices. I hope I can return some day.

Visited September 2012
Williamsburg, Virginia
“A good place, once you find it”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We got directions to walk from the Holiday Inn Express, but we still managed to get a little lost. The neighborhood is deserted after dark, though not really scary. The food was good--be sure to listen to the server's advice. It appears to be a neighborhood place, with folks staying near the airport mixed in.

Visited September 2012
Houston, TX
“Seriously, such high reviews?”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Well, either I ordered completely wrong or my taste buds differ from about 80% of the TA population.

I was staying in Sestri for a couple of weeks and almost had a wonderful dinner in Sestri for my last night, but thought it was wiser to head to MXP rather than drive in the middle of the night to the hotel. I decided to have my Last Supper at Samarcanda based on TA reviews. It is a lounge vibe, very loud with bar patrons and the blaring music from speakers in the restaurant area. Music was often American from (I hate to admit that I know this) the 1970's and 1980's. Only Americans and other tourists were there eating. The only Italians I saw/heard were ones hanging in the lounge area.

I had dinner around 10pm. A few people were there, and it was lots busier by 11. I'm guessing there are earlyand late crowds.

I was happy when I saw the pizza oven when I entered and decided to stay despite the bar feel and loud music.

The forno was fired by wood according to the pizza chef. So I excitedly ordered a Capricciosa pizza, 1/2 bottle of pricey simple Chianti wine and water. The pizza was pretty much inedible, by far the worst pizza that I've eaten in the entire last month of Italy travels. The dough's only flavor was salt. The dough was so chewy, and not in a good way, that I could barely cut it with a knife. It was underdone with little char. I only ate around the edges and the toppings as the center was wet and boring--calories for nothing. And trust me, I enjoy my calories every wonderful mouthful that I eat. I don't mean it was wet like a pizza center from Napoli. Just blah, stretchy, soggy. Plenty of salt as I ordered it with anchovies, which I shouldn't have done in hindsight, as they pizza man apaprently uses salt as his one seasoning. I asked for it to be topped with rucola, which was sparsely tossed on. The mozzerella quickly became hard and unpleasantly rubbery, like many USA supermarket cheap mozzerella blocks which quickly harden as they cool.

It was truly an awful meal. I only give it 2* rather than 1* because the service was nice.

• Visited October 2012