“One of the worst!”

Idea Hotel Plus Milano Malpensa Airport
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Somma Lombardo
Reviewed June 6, 2014

A client booked my into a suite at this dump. He actually told me he stayed here and it was "nice". Upon arrival, there had to be 20 people ahead of me in line, with one besieged desk clerk on duty.

When I got to the front of the line, it took him at least 7 minutes to find my prepaid reservation. I headed up to my "suite" only to find a minuscule room with two double beds. I went back downstairs- he said, "oh, sorry". Went back up to the same type of room this time with a king bed. Oh well, I said, it's only for the night. Went to log onto the internet-, had to go back down for the password, and a 7 Euro charge PER DEVICE for 24 hours. Came back upstairs to work a little and was sweating. Each time I put the A/C on, it shut off. Back down to the front desk I went, only to find out the A/C is controlled wholly by them, NOT by the controller in your room.

The bed and pillows are rock hard, and the walls are totally stained and dirty. The room though was clean enough, except maybe for the large cockroach that greeted me upon my return from dinner. Oh, about dinner, don't eat in the overpriced restaurant in the hotel. Right outside the hotel is a very decent local pizzeria, frequented by locals..it was fine..but much better than the hotel.

When I came back to my room, (and the cockroach greeting), it was freezing. I had to go back down to the front desk, wait ten minutes for their next line to clear, to tell them to make it warmer in there.

There has to be a reason this hotel is rated #7 of 7 in this town. If I were you, pay 10Euro more and stay elsewhere. Next time, I will for sure.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the airport side where I am- Church bells ring every hour and you hear the planes tak...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Sockster
Write a ReviewReviews (1,725)

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We came in a group and decided that it made more sence to take the cab instead of wait for that shuttle. When you fill a car with 4 people, €15 is not too bad.
Good room, decent breakfast. They serve dinner. The computers in the lobby have keys without letters, all worn away. That is really stupid.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2014

There are a few positives. It is close to the airport and there is a shuttle. There is a great restaurant within walking distance. It was clean, but many of the fixtures in the room are broken or missing. I think some may be hazards. There was no shower curtain or door and the hand held shower head did not work so bath was the only option. The remote control for the television did not work and internet was 12 euros PER DEVICE. Just FYI with the shuttle they do not pick up at arrivals (which would make sense) they only pick up at check-in. So you have to visit baggage claim and go up to the check-In area.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Like other reviewers have said, the only advantage of this hotel it that's it is close to the airport. Be wary of the free shuttle to/from the airport because while it is free, it's hard to catch at the airport and the driver almost drove off and left me and another lady (who was loading her own suitcase into the back when he tried to drive off!) after dropping one person off. It also stops running at 10:30am until 6pm. He stops and waits for less than a minute so be on the curb looking for him, do not wait inside. He was also talking/texting on his phone the entire time. You have to schedule for morning pickup and there's usually more people so it's not so bad from the hotel to the airport.

Reception was also less than ideal, he asked me multiple times if I wanted wifi despite the extra charge and I repeatedlysaid yes, yet he still failed to give me the passcode for the internet. I went back down to ask and after I told him he apologized then answered four phone calls before jotting the code down on a post-it. I thought the charge was a bit high for wifi as well.

The room was clean, but there is a church right next door that has a bell that goes off every half hour. I went to bed a bit early, but it was very loud and woke me up a few times. There was also a large tour group checking in who were quite loud in the hallways pretty much all night, I could hear everything. Breakfast was good and dinner was ok and not horribly overpriced. They gave me a free drink coupon upon check-in when I said I'd be eating dinner there too. I didn't use it, but appreciated the gesture.

Overall, I would only stay here for a short stay to get to the airport early in the morning. I would NOT choose this for multiple nights and readers should be aware it's a good 45 min to an hour into Milan itself from this hotel, so if planning to visit Milan from this hotel do yourself a favor and book one closer to the city - there's a Malpensa Express train that runs every half hour into the city from the airport if you're looking for a less expensive way to get there than a taxi.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with the windows facing away from the front of the hotel - may not be able to hear...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Chelsey M
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Like many people wrote here it is really hard to catch the shuttle bus at the airport so we had to take a taxi. 15€ flat rate for a 4 minute ride. When I asked them at the hotel about shuttle bus they said it goes every hour in the evenings.
Room was spacious with 2 big beds. Baby crib was all torn and old. Walls are dirty, there are light fixtures missing, broken lamps.
Their restaurant serves frozen pizzas which I cant believe. There is a restaurant close by so I would recommend you go there.
Even though we had a good night of sleep. Shower had no water pressure! Breakfast was satisfying and there are enough choices for everyone. Morning shuttle was on time.
I would stay at this hotel again only because it is 4min from the terminal 1 and it is 49€!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I must leave a severe judgment on this hotel. The check-in was extremely slow, even with queue the only available employee was explaining irrelevant details to some customers. In the room the shower was literally shooting water everywhere, it was almost impossible to get a decent shower. As the room was too hot (and opening the window meant having the bells of the belltower in front of the hotel directly inside your ears), I asked to turn the air conditioning on. This does not work from the room but exclusively from the reception, so wait... wait.... wait...
The water tub was semi-detached and leaked. There were very strong usage signs on all walls (I assume they were painted white once upon a time). The biggest scandal was the cost of wifi: 7€ for a single connection for 24hrs. With customers coming there to be ready for a plane early morning it is a nice way to gain money without doing a lot... For breakfast the bread was old, at least from the day before, and other items were not replaced (ham, salami, croissants) even if there was a big amount of people. Finally,m the check-out was ridicously slow. Pay also attention to the forfeit cost for the minibar: if I understood it correctly, whatever you take will cost 10 euros, so better empty it if you really need something. Also a commercial practice that I find not very nice.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms at the front, the belltower will wake you up....
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Franco M
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night here. The only advantage of this hotel is that it s near the airport but nearly an hour's drive from the city. Commuting is tough.
The rooms were clean but the bathroom had issues like the dryer fitting on the wall was not ok. There is no free wi fi in the hotel - they charge you 7 euros for 24 hours. The hotel lobby has 3 computers with internet that is free for guests but one of them wasn't working properly.
The breakfast buffet was ok. Limited offering.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
#4 of 9 in Somma Lombardo
Ibis Milano Malpensa Aeroporto
Ibis Milano Malpensa Aeroporto
#2 of 6 in Cardano al Campo

Been to Idea Hotel Plus Milano Malpensa Airport? Share your experiences!