“Phantastic views and place”
Review of B&B Lunajanka

and 1 more site!
B&B Lunajanka
Ranked #4 of 12 Palmi B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Very nice host, although we came unanounced, but they prepared our room quickly.
Exeptcionally good breakfast and very nice decorated rooms. Very helpful and informed owner. We enjoyed our stay there very much and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lidia K

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We arrived hot and sticky on our Motorbike, but finding the Villa entailed getting hopelessly lost in the one way systems and being monotonously shunted off down steep coast roads that were too busy and narrow to turn the bike in. Eventually my wife walked in the direction that we thought was correct and very quickly enlisted the enthusiastic help of the many curious non English speaking balcony dwellers that lined the street. We were on the right track and very pleased to find a secure area with a hard surface to park the bike on. After a quick shower and change we fell into Rosa's swimming pool, which was heaven on earth. The house is deceptively large and the guest area is split off from the main residence by a staircase with a door. Our room was big and airy with patio windows onto a communal terrace area. Rosa recommended a restaurant in the town which she described as very traditional good Italian food. It was quite an adventure finding it, since no one that we asked spoke English, or seemed to have heard of it. We were looking for a large restaurant, but eventually after much help from the non English speaking locals, one man kindly offered to walk us there. It was good that he did, because it was just a door in the wall, with not very much signage in evidence. Traditional it was, because there was no written menu, and it was the one night that we forgot to bring our Italian phrase book with us! Just about everyone in the restaurant got involved with trying to explain to the dumb English what the dishes were, but we were hardly any the wiser. In the end we decided to let the waiter and the cook choose for us. It all turned out great since it was indeed a good meal at a very reasonable price.

I guess you are wondering about the painting? The place is full of paintings by the same artist, and it took us some time to realise that they were all painted by Renato. He is a very talented man, and despite being a Doctor by profession, it is also evident that he could equally well have been an artist or indeed a carpenter or builder. I was very taken with them all, but I particularly liked one of the paintings in the guest area. Rosa knows which one it is, so Renato is it for sale?

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank b1gr0g
Reviewed September 17, 2011

A stylish and most comfortable stay for 3 nights. Rosa is really welcoming and helpful. Excellent breakfast served at a time to suit you.
The bedroom was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean, with a bathroom with a powerful hi-tech shower. You have the use of a large, comfortable lounge area, with panoramic windows overlooking the terrace and the bay beyond. The house is on a steep hillside, so the views out to the sea and the islands are uninterrupted by any other buildings. There is a large swimming pool on the next terrace below the house, which guests can use for most of the day - it was too early in the year for us to use it, but it looked very inviting.
If you ask Rosa, she will provide you with lots of information about places to eat and places to visit. We especially enjoyed visiting Scilla, about half-way to Reggio Calabria - the old village below the main road is mainly pedestrianised and really charming. The views from Mt Elia, just above Palmi are well worth seeing. Palmi itself does not seem to have many restaurants in the town - one is in the Michelin Guide, but hadn't opened for the season when we were there, but there are many places to eat on the way down to and at the main beach, as well as on the road up to Mt Elia.
One word of advice. Rosa offered to meet us when we drove into Palmi, and then showed us the way to her home. I think without this we would have struggled (and I don't think sat-nav would help) as neither Google Earth nor street maps show the location very clearly. Easy to find when you know how though!
My partner has relatives in Calabria, and when we visit again, we will very definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I cannot say enough about my amazing experience at Lunajanka in Palmi, Italy. Proprietor Rosa and her entire family made me feel very much at home with stunning decor and accommodations, equally stunning view of the Costa Viola, swimming pool, and one of the best breakfasts I had during my three weeks in Italy. Rosa is also well-versed in local history and tourism information. Lunajanka (or "White Moon" in the Calabrese dialect :) is slightly off the beaten path but within walking distance from the downtown shops and restaurants of Palmi and is a simple bus ride to amazing Tonnara Beach. I had an unforgettable time and will definitely return. Grazie di cuore, Carissima Rosa!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank AllisonAT
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I and my 3 friends had such a fantastic time at B&B Lunajanka. Rosa and the staff were so friendly and accommodating - we came early and left late but that was no problem at all, she even offered to drive us to the train station.

Breakfast was delicious, the bedroom clean and tidy, the beds comfortable, the bathroom luxurious. There was a cosy living area with comfortable furniture. Outside there were plenty of strategically placed deck chairs, barbeque facilities and a gorgeous swimming pool.

Thanks so much for a couple of dream days there. I will definitely be back and hopefully staying for at least a week.

Anna

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anna R
Reviewed August 7, 2011

really enjoyed our stay for 2 nights, stylish and comfortable rooms , great coffee and continental breakfast.. The owner made us very welcome to her home, dont be put off by previous review, my only negative is that the twin beds are a little narrow and high in the centre of the mattress, like sleeping on a hill, we did manage to sleep just dont turn over quickly.
Beautiful sunrise and sunsets on the terrace.
Palmi is a true Italian experience with warm and friendly people . We totally enjoyed our visit.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2011

There were a few issues with this property, the first being you had to do an international deposit transfer of 30%, unfortunately in Australia these transfers incurr large fees and are not easy to do at all, Paypal or the like would be a much better option.

Next, the property was very hard to find and I'd say impossible without a GPS, it is located in the heart of the town not on a hilltop as I first thought.

The owner seemed helpful when we arrived however she failed to let us know that on Tuesday nights you can't find anywhere that will serve you a meal in the town!! She even gave us a business card for a local Ristorante which we eventually found but despite it being open they refused to serve us and kept saying "tomorrow" in Italian!! Eventually we found a place called The American Cafe whose staff gave us some great hot and cold nibbles with our drinks - without them we would have starved. We told the B&B owner the next morning what had happened and she simply said "oh yes the towns eateries used to shut on Tuesday nights" - YES and they still do!!

The rooms and shared areas are nice, modern and comfortable but we couldn't work their TV and there were no instructions anywhere. You will also need a PHD to work the fancy gimmicky showers - people don't want music, just hot water please!!

There were some other little problems like whilst they provide you with a corkscrew there were no wineglasses. The guest rooms are located downstairs in their family home which can be accessed by the owners via an internal staircase that they lock on their side - I didn't like this at all. There was also a fair amount of noise coming from the family above until around midnight (they have 3 older children).

Breakfast was fine but nothing outstanding and to be honest I couldn't wait to leave.

Palmi itself is nothing special at all and good luck seeing the sunset for the haze, I would have kept driving if I'd known what it was really like, I think their website oversells the place and the town completely. We had 21 nights in Italy and this was the only disappointment and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gem14Brisbane
EllePalmi, Manager at B&B Lunajanka, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Dear Madam, your opinion doesn’t concern my B&B, but your inability to resolve some problems that have nothing to do with the quality of a B&B… (You stayed only one night, you came late in the evening and you leave early in the morning: I noted that you were tired and sleepy and that you felt lost, and, considering the various problem you had, I thought it had to be your first travel and also your first time abroad, so maybe your bad humour influenced your opinion, and the other excellent reviews of our B&B can prove my point)
You wrote a long opinion only to speak about your misadventures with the restaurants of Palmi and your bank, while your opinion on TripAdvisor had to pertain only my B&B… You said that you weren’t able to find an open restaurant: I gave you a list of fifteen restaurants, and only some of them were closed on Tuesday, (maybe you didn’t know that in many part of the world, restaurants have one day off). I also gave you, as I usually do, my telephone number, so you could call me in case of difficulties, but you didn’t call. You criticize that you paid so much with your bank, and also this reason is not about my B&B, I don’t think it is my fault if you pay large fees with your bank.. In one of my e-mail, I told you to write again if you had problems with your bank so we can find another solution (pay-pal was also ok for me) and also I told you to write again some days before your arrival so I can explain you how to reach the B&B, but you didn’t…
I also read that you weren’t able to find wineglasses that were in the cupboard: there is a cupboard with cups, plates, wineglasses, paper cup, napkins and also forks, spoons etc…at my guest’s disposal, that usually you don’t find in a B&B. You weren’t able to switch on a TV and you needed instructions: I’m so sorry, but I thought that, as the most people in the world, a TV LCD is a well known instrument… In the matter of the music in the Jacuzzi shower: the music doesn’t play if you don’t click the button. And I can understand your surprise, (probably you never went to stay in a B&B), that we could have access at the B&B: in every B&B in Europe (and I think in the world) the owners has to come to serve breakfast, otherwise it is a rental room. You also didn’t like that we locked the door that takes to our bedroom: I think that night you locked your bedroom, and so did we.. You thought the B&B was on a hilltop, but in our website you didn’t read nothing of the sort…You spoke about Palmi but you didn’t visit Palmi because you wanted only a place to eat, walking, without using your car, so you didn’t see nothing whatsoever: the Mount S. Elia and its beautiful view on the Straits of Messina and Aeolian isles, the beach “Marinella”, The Olive Tree Rocks, the Archaeological site, the Ancient Churches, you didn’t go by boat along the coast etc....
So, dear Madam, I think your opinion is unfair because I didn’t find a real reason to receive a so low score but only moot motivations and wrongful opinions that have nothing to do with the good or bad name of our B&B...