“Good family holiday”
Review of Club Med Cargese

Club Med Cargese
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Cargese
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We recently spent a week at this Club Med (2 adults, 3 kids). There weren't many Brits there and the place was very French (which is part of the reason we went so that the kids would be able to practice). There is enough English spoken to get by if your French, like mine, is a little rusty.
We had problems on arrival getting adjacent rooms. The reception staff were poor ('it is impossible', 'come back in September' etc.). However, the Chef de Village, Stephanie sorted it out for us eventually after having to make a big fuss.
The rooms don't have AC (which they could do with) and are a little tired, but generally ok. In fact the whole place has a slightly dated feel to it, but that is more than compensated for by the generally excellent and friendly staff.
Food was consistently excellent throughout the week and drink was plentiful and of good quality - no need to spend money on the premium drinks unless you want sparkling wine etc.
My youngest enjoyed Mini-club and we barely saw him all day - Julian in particular was great with the kids.
The beach is beautiful and we generally didn't bother with the pool.
There are 16 hobie cats which you can use (30 minutes at a time) and lessons you can attend (advanced, intermediate and beginner). The lessons were pretty much all in French - I was lucky enough to have a Belgian on board to translate. We enjoyed the Armada and the regatta that the sailing team organised. The advertised Catsies weren't available but the hobie cats were easy enough for the kids to sail anyway.

Room Tip: They don't have any adjacent 2 and 3 bed rooms so be careful if you want your kids in a room nex...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mark S

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I realise now that in my review of the 3 CM resorts (Cargese, Napitia and St Ambrogio) we stayed at in 2012 that I did here a couple of months back I left out a number of impressions/opinions that I had at the time. Eg. The Italian food at Napitia was molto buono (the rest fairly forgettable) - it wouldn't surprise me if it's always good there... Italy, Italian food, you get the picture, right? The family room we had was excellent. The beach at St A. is the size of a hankerchief. This is not the place for a beach holiday!, excursions etc maybe, but not beach....and even the pool seemed like a bit of an afterthought. 2 huge pools in separate areas at Napitia by the way (if pools are your thing). All things (incl negatives!), I'd still go back to Cargese for all the reasons I gave in my first review!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank carrum_jetty
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at 3 different CM resorts this year, Cargese and St Ambroggio both in Corsica and Napitia in Calabria - here a short comparison/summary of the 3.
Best location: Cargese - a really beautiful spot!
Best rooms: forget Cargese as you prob already know - I'd have to give it to St A, especially those rooms right on the coast with a small terrace and fab seaview.
Best food THIS YEAR: Cargese by a fair margin (all meaningless of course as you never know what you will get from one year to the next, a huge MINUS for CM generally I think).
Best place to sit, eat and drink: outside eating areas at Cargese (what a view!) - just make sure you get there early enough.
Best beach/beach holiday: for me Cargese by a mile - lovely location, almost 'private' beach, fanatastic water quality mostly, sandy!, georgeous backdrop etc Also best option for families with young children - make sure you walk to the other end of the beach and swim there occasionally.
Best sailing: tough one, probably Cargese where we simply had more wind, more often.Very professional set-up at St A though I should add... however next year?????

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank carrum_jetty
Reviewed September 14, 2012

One week at the end of August with three adults and three children between the ages of 6-8. We thought it may not be up to much after reading the awful reviews but...
The location is just lovely with a beautiful beach and gorgeous surrounding countryside. The waves can get a bit wild when stormy but generally very safe. The chalets were small but were cleaned every day and were spotless and the location of them on the hillside was great. The kids loved it because there was loads to do and the staff were without exception friendly. Despite the children having little French, they could go and order their own drinks (soft of course) and speak to the bar staff. The food was really lovely and loads of choice. Yes tere were sparrows in the dining hall that descended to eat the crumbs when it was quiet but as there were some open areas there is not a lot that could be done about it and they did not disturb you. Yes not all the staff spoke English but most did have some English which meant u could still enjoy the activities. All the activities were well supervised and enjoyable and the evening shows were good fun, especially for the kids. All in all a great holiday in a lovely country and nice resort. Unless u are really up your own bottom you will enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Nikoptom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Before leaving (and after booking) we read several frightening reviews about this place; we were prepared for the worst. Most of these reviews are widely exaggerated. The rooms are small, but it is not disturbing. On top of the hill it is very silent, but do not forget your towel when you walk down to the beach. The village is quite compact and all within reach. There is no shortage of beds on the beach, unless you arrive very late (11 or 12.00), and there is no rush to restaurant because there is plenty of food and drinks, although the quality is up and down. The beach and the bay are simply wonderful, sometimes magic.

The "but" then? the level of cleanliness is below acceptability in the rooms and at the restaurant. The bathroom windows have layers of deposits of pine-trees leaves and spiderwebs; spiderwebs hang around the doors; the sheets have not been changed in ten days and the bathroom was cleaned very superficially, and this in spite of a "small" tip given to the cleaning lady the third day. The restaurant tables were also (not) cleaned: glasses and everything were sticking to the tables and I had to wipe myself all the glasses at our table every time. And you better do not look under the tables. I did not visit the kitchen. The presentation of food seemed correct, but the quality was very variable, with a plus for the italian corner and a minus for meat in general.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank stefano b
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Just coming back from a 7 day holiday in 'CLub Med Cargese' where I also stayed last year.
The team has changed but the spot is still beautiful.
I enjoy June because there is not too many people and you can try as many sport activities as you wish.
The Club Med team is good and the sport team is excellent. You can find people with good expertise and always glad to have you on board.
As to me I have practised sailing (the spot is amazing). The team is nice and each of them are qualified and prompt to help. I personnaly thank Benoit and Clement for their very good teaching and help on the sea but also Maelle and Julien for being so smily and helpful. The whole team is dealt by Caroline who is a pro and very concerned about everybody 's having a good and secured sailing.
I also recommend practising aquagym lessons in the mornings and afternooms as Chloe and Tanguy are just great people. Lots of fun with burning lots of calories (highly appreciated when you eat so much).
Last but not least, I have discovered archery with Aubin, who was alone but has managed to train a large community of "GM" every morning and afternoons. Cargese is very lucky to have him on board. I want to keep on practising archery as it was a nice discovery. Thx Aubin.

I cannot finish without telling you that the Cargese Mini Club is at its top with Jenny, Alexia, Elodie, Amandine, Sebastien and Etienne. My kid did not want to join her parents anymore. She had lots of fun trying tennis, archery, sailing and swimming every day. The team is dedicated to the kids and believe me it was hard to say goodbye.

To put it in a nutshell, we want to go back next year, same place, same timing and other people have also confirmed they will do. Actually, I have met some that we have met last year.

The shows were great and altough I could not enjoy them because I have small kids, it sounds people were party animals.

I would suggest, Cargese to invest in reshaping the bedrooms (too small) and thinking about giving some babysitters contacts to help the parents with babies to fully enjoy this place and the fun.

See you next year!
Caroline

Room Tip: Higher floors are better (less noisy) and ask for a view on the sea
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Caroline L
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Our stay in the club med of cargèse was the perfect way of recharging our batteries :
nice weather, plenty of excellent sport facilities, restaurant on the beach, good kitchen ,...
could spoil the small rooms with old ,not so clean bathrooms.
overall result was very positive.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank giritoninjo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cargese
Motel Ta Kladia
Punta e Mare
#4 of 8 in Cargese
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Ajaccio Bay
Belambra Clubs- Arena Bianca

Been to Club Med Cargese? Share your experiences!