Talardy Hotel
$101
$62
$107
$104
All reviewsfamily roomlovely mealevening mealmain buildingnorth walesplay areabank holidaythe pubroom was spotlessbottled waterfollowing morningone night stayenjoyable staycooked to perfectiondouble rooma lovely staybreakfast was delicious
Reviewed August 27, 2013

On Sunday night, we found this hotel on one of the late room websites and decided to visit and maybe stay. Nice big car park and easy access from A55.

Our server Sam, was fine, attentive and pleasant. I explained my wife needed gluten-free and he went and got us an allergy list. We chose our food and ordered two soft drinks. I stopped Sam in his tracks and asked him to tell the chef, to his face, my wife needed Gluten-free. About ten minutes later our drinks arrived.

We waited quite a while for our starters and my wifes turned up with bread at the side. I asked the young waiter who delivered it, was it gluten-free and he said it must be. I rejected it and asked him to get Sam. Sam came over and said it wasn't. He took it away and brought it back with the bread removed and also confirming the Marie Rose sauce was ok.

We ordered more drinks while waiting for the main course. We waited, and waited, and waited. We asked another waitress for the drinks and she said they were on their way. We waited, and waited, and asked yet another waiter for the drinks to be told they were on their way.

Main course arrived and we tucked in. Not very hot, but I dont like burning hot food. Sam passed and asked was everything alright. I told him I was now asking for the THIRD time for our drinks. He went and got them apologizing the ticket must have got lost.

Very very average. Service lousy, could have poisoned my wife, massive waits for service.

Not a place I will be returning to. We never even asked about staying. Drove to Holyhead and paid 20 pounds for the next Stena home.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We had a bad experience here a few months ago but thought we would give it another try. Big mistake!
The service is without a doubt the worst we have come across in any restuarant. It was not a busy night and it took over 15 minuets for our drinks order to be taken. Once our drinks had arrived we had pretty much finished our drinks before the meal order was taken. It was particulaly frustrating that the waitresses we stood directly opposite our table chatting and therefore completely unattentive. We also could have done without hearing their personal conversations! Our food was what to be expected from a chain pub but still enjoyable. Our plates were not cleared for 20 minuets dispite the staff including two managers repeatedly walking past us. We had to ask for the plates to be cleared and to order desserts. Again dessert plates not cleared and had to ask at the bar for the bill.
Shocking management and very poorly trained staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Sparklescat86
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We visited this hotel as part of a group on Tuesday August 6th. We placed a food order for the4peolpe on our table. We waited over an hour but no food appeared. A very charming waitress came to our table and apologised and told us that the kitchen had lost our order. We reordered and some considerable time later our starters which 3of us ordered appeared. There was then another delay and so we were about to cancel our main course when it arrived. My wife had ordered a rare steak but it came medium to well done and she sent it back. The same charming waitress was sent. Back by the chef saying the chef did not understand the problem. Eventually a second steak appeared but it was not possible to cut the meat and we had to send it back again. The poor waitress who was obviously upset came back to tell us the chef was not happy. My wife who had not ordered a starter went without any food at all. At no time did a manager come to see us but it was all left to the waitress who had done her best. Some of our party who were actually staying in the hotel informed us that the chef did not turn up for breakfast and that was chaos as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dai2013
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Was nice. Food was good but it was the service that will make me come back. Niamh was the best waitress I have ever had and I travel around a lot and have worked in training customer service etc. The others lacked something special that Niamh has. But overall it was a good experience. I did not stay over but dined in the exquisite surrounds within the beautiful views of St Asaph valley. I even treated myself to a sweet white wine with my meal which was of a good quality. I was a little greedy and went for the mixed grill. I absolutely loved the peas and meat and thought it was lovely.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were visiting friends and were greeted and treated by very friendly staff. We booked in and shown to our room which was huge. Very, very clean and welcoming. Haven't stayed in a hotel room this big ever. We had a tour round the grounds and had a drink outside. We changed for dinner we met outside for drinks and then were taken to our table for dinner. A good varied choice was available on the menu. We particularly liked the rotisserie menu, you can see the meat cooking and rotating and smells delicious. Food was excellent as was the service. Breakfast the next day was excellent and plenty to choose from. We went for fruit yoghurt and juice and then the cooked breakfast and were served plenty of tea and coffee.The beer was good and the food excellent which is what you want for a night away. Congratulations to the management and the staff, it was a great stay, considering it only re-opened in May after being flooded. We definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends