“Could be a great place to stay if......”

and 1 more site!
Oriel Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St. Asaph
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I spent a 2 day Groupon break at the Oriel Country Hotel & Spa with myself and 3 members of my family. Upon our arrival the Hotel looked ok, slightly tired but on the whole was fine.
I found the room adequate but looking quite tired and definitely in need of an uplift.
We did have an evening meal at the hotel which I have to say was very well presented and tasted lovely, the service though was quite slow, however the waiter Leon was very nice and was very polite.
Breakfast was ok but have to say the full Welsh breakfast was a little sparse and we did have to pay extra for it too.
There was a 24hr bar which we did use however, a lot of the time it wasn't manned and had to ask at reception most times to get someone to serve us.

There were two functions on whilst we were there and I was told a couple of times when I requested coffee and other drinks that we had to wait as they were very busy setting up the rooms for the functions that were due in, I really don't think that we should have had to wait as we were just as important to the hotel as the functions.

I do think some of the staff working there definitely need to up their game in appearing happy to help you as I only found 2 members who really seemed to take an interest in our needs.

Overall I enjoyed my stay there, but there are definitely issues that need to be addressed i.e. staff and décor in the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I placed a booking in January of 2013 for an event in September at the Bridge Pub in St Ayaph which is run by the same people. Telephone conversations were made with Michelle and Naz and an email was sent to confirm and one revived back to agree.
I called 5 days before the event and they said that no booking was made.
Total waste of my time. I have run this event for over 30 parks at 20 different venues and this is the ONLY venue to have let me down.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JimMaynard
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Attended a wedding here in August. Had a wonderful day. Staff where very professional. The wedding breakfast could not be faulted. We stayed overnight in a superior room. The room was a bit of a let down. The bath panel was cracked and there was black mould spots around the bath. The valance sheet on the bed was quite badly marked and very crumpled. The bedroom walls needed a coat of paint to cover the scuff marks. The room was however very clean. Breakfast the next morning was fine.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WelshMurphy
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Conservatory, dining room and outside areas lovely and very relaxing. Our room as adequate but bathroom very tired. Mould around bath and very dusty radiator not four star. I did not use swimming pool but my partner did and changing area and showers in need of refurbishment.
Breakfast buffet style for cereals and toast, waitress service for cooked. Plenty of choice and generally good although would avoid the scrambled egg which wasn't freshly cooked.Girls serving breakfast lovely - very helpful.
Enjoyed our stay and very convenient for exploring Llandudno and surrounding areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed this weekend at the Oriel Hotel. Staff were very nice and welcoming. The conservatory and dining area were very fresh and inviting We had a king size room and it was clean and comfortable. The restaurant wasn't available that evening so we were put in a temporary restaurant. It felt cold and was lacking atmosphere and decoration - think it is usually used as a meeting/conference facility. The hotel is advertised as a spa. We used the pool the following evening. This was only open until 8 although weekdays it is open until 9 which was a bit of a nuisance as we didnt get in there until half an hour before it closed. So it was a very quick dip. It was getting dusk but there were no lighting on. There were a few chairs scattered around one end of the pool but I couldnt imagine sitting there and relaxing. There is one small sauna. To be honest a pool and a sauna does not a spa make!

Breakfast was very good and as I said earlier the staff were very friendly. A little more attention to detail and this hotel would be very good.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane M
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip to Rhyl and had an unexpectedly pleasant stay. The hotel is very well cared for with lovely public areas. (garden, conservatory, restaurant) I had breakfast and dinner there during my stay. Both were superb. I didn't get a chance to use the pool and gym but am bringing my costume next time. A colleague who came better prepared than me said the fitness facilities were excellent

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank 1966girl
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I spent one night in the hotel, which is probably in need of a make over. Not dirty or decrepit but a little frayed around the edges. The staff were top notch, pleasant and not over fussy. The swimming pool and sauna were very clean and welcoming. Gym staff helpful and polite. Cooked breakfast prepared to order and of reasonable standard. Clare in the breakfast room had a very competent and relaxed manner, just right for first thing in the morning.
Wifi was fast and FREE! how long before the likes of Premier Inns get the message that we expect free wifi. I usually stop at the nearby Premier at Rhuddlan but from now on I will use the Oriel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Rhyl
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn

Been to Oriel Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!