“Comfortable and quiet”

and 1 more site!
Oriel Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St. Asaph
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here in January 2013 after a big day driving through North Wales. Reasonably easy to find and lots of parking out front.

Hotel itself a tad tired but comfortable and quiet. Rooms not very big but beds were comfy, TVs worked and wi-fi was pretty good. Kids were really happy about that.

Restaurant was a tad Fawlty Towers but in the end we got there and the food was pretty good. Breakfast was reasonable.

Not really a destination but a good place to recharge one's batteries while on the road.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Visited the Oriel after a three-year absence and found it as outstanding as ever, although I didn't overnight. The restaurant must qualify as among the region's best--the fresh sea food was the best I tasted on a short tour of England and North Wales, and an imaginative chef is clearly at work in the kitchen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed at the oriel hotel and spa on 1st June a gift from our children to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. The hotel was very nice and the staff very welcoming from the receptionist to the waiting on staff. Our room 114 was nicely tucked away from the hub of the hotel , this was great for us as a wedding was on and I don't know what time the celebrations finished. We stayed for our evening meal in the hotel and the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. Breakfast was included and was continental this was more than sufficient, you could pay extra for full English if that's what you like it did look very nice.
The pool was clean and we had a nice swim late afternoon.
Our only criticism would be that if there is a wedding on until they have gone to the function room they take over the main bar and conservatory and also the garden. Perhaps the hotel could look at sectioning it off so that hotel guests don't feel uncomfortable trying to get a drink and finding a spot to sit in the garden.

Room Tip: 114 was a lovely spacious room tucked away so was nice and quiet. The view was the car park but as w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathybWarrington
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed on the 18th June with two other couples for a birthday celebration. We were offered the rooms at a discounted rate and were upgraded into de-lux rooms at no extra cost. Two of the rooms had been refurbished, with the room on the first floor a little bit tired. However, the value for money was excellent and the breakfast menu very good. The staff were also first class. It was noted that the conservatory area was also being re-furbished on the day we left.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms appear to have been re-furbished
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The reception staff were great, Tracy (I think) even got me a pack of cards for my second night on request! The restaurant is okay, if not a little cold with slow service at night. Breakfast was nice with a good choice.
The spa lady was friendly and professional, although the leisure facilities were a little bit tired and the pool area small (especially with children splashing around).
The problem started on our first night - massive, enormous snorer! We were headboard to headboard and got NO sleep. I was tearful and tired and spoke to reception on Saturday morning who couldn't be nicer and told me I should have called last night, although I appreciate this is not directly their problem, better walls would help! Without hesitation he moved us to another (slightly better) room.
And then came Saturday night... There was a wedding and the music went on until past 1am. I called reception as I was a woman on the edge, having had no sleep the previous night. Reception were polite and advised the music would be off in the next few minutes which it was.
Wait for it... them came everyone form the wedding, drunk and rowdy making their way back to their rooms. Someone directly beneath us decided to talk (shout) loudly, this again is not directly the responsibility of the staff, but if the hotel needs the money from the wedding, it should potentially not allow bookings from other parties not related to this. I wanted a nice, relaxing weekend, but I went home red eyed and fatigued. I even had to take Monday off work due to a migraine!
Bottom line - unfortunate events led to a horrible, stressful weekend; although staff are highly professional and helpful. Would only return if no large parties were booked in and I could be assured I was able to sleep!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hollyjo1402
Reviewed May 26, 2013

When i walked into the oriel with my mum in tow to look around for a wedding venue for myself and my husband i never thought i would get emotional. The service we received was fantastic. I didn't look anywhere else and I am glad, every step of the way our wedding preparations were handled by Michelle and Sarah. Nothing was too much trouble.
They made our amazing day enjoyable and virtually stress free, nothing was too much trouble. We were all made to feel welcome and as if we were the only people that mattered. The ceremony was just perfect as was our wedding breakfast. The food was fantastic, and if anything did go wrong we were unaware (exactly as a bride and groom should be).
The rooms were clean and comfortable. We had family and friends stay over also and all enjoyed a fabulous breakfast the following morning.
If you are looking to book your wedding, please pay here a visit, you will not be disappointed, and thank you Oriel for your wonderful hospitality and all your help with our special day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The staff were very friendly, food was outstanding for my evening meal. The cooked breakfast was good, croisant were not fresh.

Room 207 was tired and tiny, couldn,t swing a cat, no room for my case. Now the bathroom no more than a wardrobe, literally i could sit on the loo and clean my teeth in the sink. The bathroom was so small there was no where to hang the towel or leave my wash bag in. I could not get in the shower it was so small.

On the whole i would not go back. Sorry rather be in the Premier Inn. Sort the rooms guys and you would be outstanding.

Room Tip: Find another hotel until they upgade the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy
Premier Inn Rhuddlan

Been to Oriel Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!