“It was so good I had to return for a second meal!”
Review of La Nonna

La Nonna
Ranked #12 of 35 Restaurants in Aigle
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I was recently visiting a friend, who lives in nearby Collombey. One day he suggested lunch at La Nonna in Aigle.

OMG! It was great! It is a Mediterranean restaurant with top-notch cuisine. Most of the staff and ownership is from Portugal. The staff is very attentive, and the menu extensive.

My friend suggested the "horse steak", and I said "fine". I have had it before, overseas, so I knew what to expect (it is illegal in most, if not all of the USA).

It is served raw, and you get a hot lava stone and sauces on the side. The waiter will want to put the whole steak on the lava stone, but stop him. Instead, simply cut off slices and sear before you eat each small portion. In this way, each portion is hot and the last half does not get to be over-cooked.

Midway through your steak, simply ask for a new, hot lava stone, so that the second half of your steak can be properly seared. It is wonderful and a dining experience you will want to repeat.

In fact, it was soooooo good, that a couple days later, before I returned to Austria, my friend and I returned for a repeat lunch. It is to die for!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The menus (there are two) are overwhelming. The food can be quite good. The mood is boisterous. And the service was delightful.

We were part of a group of 25. And we all had different tastes from pizza to tortellini. And the menus met everyone׳s needs. My wife's dish didn't make the grade but mine was luscious. And too plentiful.

This is a surprisingly large restaurant for a small town. And having large groups or families or even couples works. It is not fancy, but wholesome, like the food.

Our waiter juggled 25 orders without a flaw. He kept us laughing and managed the five languages he heard perfectly. I have seen more errors from a waiter handling a party of four.

Would I go back? Sure. But probably not for a romantic meal. Would I have a great time? Sure.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Nice Italian restaurant in the region, the service is quick and you can eat early. Perhaps there are not enough waiters for the restaurant.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I live locally and tend to eat at La Nonna as its always open, and with young children we are limited with the choice of restaurants that open early enough in Aigle. Our last few visits have been disappointing, yes you usually get friendly service but the food has been very average. I mentioned to the waiter that the bread we were served was almost raw with soggy dough in the middle and received no response at all! I also noticed that one of the rolls which we had been served but not eaten was put back in with the bread due to be served to others. Not impressed!
The 'kids corner' is a table with some really tatty and dirty toys and books so we tend to take our own.
Worth the journey elsewhere for better Italian food.

2  Thank YorkshireBelly
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Good value for money, especially if you take the day menu! We like it, good italian food but nothing sophisticated.

4  Thank amarnaMontreux