“Overcharged”
Review of Michaeleen's Manor

Michaeleen's Manor
Ranked #6 of 13 Cong B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 17, 2013

When I booked this B&B for a family member I was quoted E120 for two nights for a double room (When I confirmed the booking the week before arrival this price was confirmed). Upon arrival my family member paid E128. I believe that they were deliberately overcharged. In addition there were no toiletries in the bathroom. Disappointing and embarrasing. I cannot comment on the rest of the B&B as my relations wouldn't divulge any more. I suspect because they didn't want to disappoint me further.

Room Tip: Get paper confirmation of the quoted price.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Michaeleen's Manor

Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you are a fan of the movie The Quiet Man, THIS is the place to stay in Cong! A Michaeleens Manor is a modern bed and breakfast that is decorated in and out with pictures, posters and quotes from the movie.

Upon arrival, the house was locked with instructions to walk across the street to the hostel and camp grounds and ask for Margaret Collins. Margaret and her husband Gerry are two very hardworking people. Besides owning A Michaeleens, they own the hostel across the street and Gerry owns and operates the Quiet Man Museum in town.

Margaret told us to pull around the back of the building and she'd meet us inside with keys to our room. We were given our keys, plus a booklet Gerry had written about the area and a copy of the DVD of The Quiet Man. Margaret asked us approximately what time we would be up for breakfast and we told her and she said not to rush, she'd be serving breakfast upstairs when we were ready in the morning.

The house is modern and the rooms were private and quiet. Gerry has built a replica of the bridge in the Quiet Man in the backyard and there is also a tennis court. Our room had a double bed, with comfortable seating. The bathroom was very large compared to some of the other b & b's and hotels we stayed in during our stay in Ireland. There was only soap in the bathroom, so bring your own shampoo, conditioner and washcloths is you use one.

There is a coffee pot for coffee or tea and a hairdryer in the room. In this b & b there is even a plug for the hairdryer near a mirror, which was a problem at a few hotels.

Margaret gave us the name of a very nice restaurant in the town to have dinner at, which we enjoyed The b & b is next to Ashford Castle, which we planned to go to in the morning for a cruise with Corrib Cruises to see the Connemara Mountains.

The bed was comfortable, and we did end up watching the DVD to see if we could match places in Cong to the movie.

The next morning we awakened to the smell of eggs cooking upstairs. Margaret and Gerry were both up and we had a delightful conversation with both of them before Gerry was off to work.

We highly recommend A Michaeleens Manor. The owners are delightful, rooms modern quiet and comfortable and it is in a great location to walk around in town and on the grounds of Ashford Castle.

Room Tip: Any room is fine.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Gerry and Margaret Collins operate a warm gracious B&B In Cong, County Mayo dedicated to preserving the legacy of The Quiet Man movie.
It's centrally located next to Ashford Castle and the town of Cong where the movie was filmed. Great value, great fun, great people!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Dennis J
Reviewed February 15, 2013

my wife and I stayed at michaeleens manor, amazing is all i can say about it that doesnt even sum up the amazing experience we had. we stayed there for 5 days each morning margret served us up a spectacular full irish breakfast we set us up each day for a new adventure. Gerry was so helpful everyday, he told us of all the intresting walks and sites to see, we also participated in gerrys guided tour of the quietman film locations spectuclar is all i have to say to sum up the experience and we can't wait to book our next holiday thanks to Margret and Gerry

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mathew p
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I recently got married in Lisloughery Lodge in Cong, county Mayo. We had family and friends from all over Ireland and overseas. We had guests staying in the hotel and several B & Bs around Cong. Lisloughery Lodge hotel was really nice and all had a good experience there. However, we had an awful experience of anti-Irish (but only if you were from the North of Ireland) racism right here in Ireland. My sister and her family from Armagh booked into Michalmeen’s B & B. Upon arriving they were basically corralled in the hall and were told to pay up right away in advance. This is not normally the practice in B&Bs. There was no welcome at all but my sister was told by the woman of the B&B that she wanted the money in advance as ‘they had problems with people from up there before’ The ‘up there’ was a clearly derogatory and insulting reference to the North of Ireland. My family is a very respectful family and are certainly not accustomed to being treated like this. One of my friends, Mark, came all the way from Canada. We also booked him into this B & B and paid for the room in advance. We also had my friend Robbie and his family from Switzerland staying in the B & B. As Mark was coming straight to the wedding and would not be in the room until after the wedding we arranged with the B & B to leave a key for him outside his door. At the end of the wedding around 2am, Mark went to the B & B. There was no key left for him and Mark could not get in. He walked back to the hotel in the rain. I had no option but to call the B & B for him. Before I could even explain what had happened I was spoken to in an aggressive manner by the woman there about calling at this time of night. I explained I realised that but that one of the guests was not able to get in the room as we had planned. The woman told me in a very aggressive manner that there was a key left out for him. When I asked her to check this, rather than sending Mark back to no key again, she was very obnoxious but finally her husband went and checked. There was no key. He tried to tell me the key had been taken by the family from Switzerland. I said I doubted that was true (and of course it wasn’t) and asked why I was being abused on the phone when I was trying to get a guest to his bed for the room I had paid for. He said ‘oh usually you people up there are alright but there’s always your type from there’. This was a disgrace as I was totally courteous on the phone and it was this man and his wife who were abusive and derogatory. This ‘you people up there’ was spat out at me pejoratively and sarcastically. It was simple-minded and disgraceful anti Northern Irish bigotry. It is ridiculous within your own country to experience such racism. Ireland is a small place but there are obviously some even smaller minds around Cong in county Mayo. He did finally come to pick Mark up and continued his bigoted invective against me on my wedding day. I was so embarrassed for Mark to witness this bizarre man lashing out at someone from a different geographical area of a tiny island! Never mind that my wife and I actually live in County Mayo. I have lived in many countries in the world, always treated as Irish as anyone from the island of Ireland, and have never experienced such bigotry and prejudice as at this B & B in Cong. I never even had such personal bigotry directed at me growing up in Northern Ireland.
David Hughes, PhD

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank bru234
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The B&B is a cross between a small hotel, hostel, and a B&B. Tucked on a country road, I could tell it was part of a larger tourist respite, including camping, caravan accommodations,and such. We called ahead the same day and arrived several hours later to a note on the door, saying to wait for,Jerry, the proprietor or call a number which we did. He arrived shortly and was very gracious. He accepted our vouchers from the travel company with no problems. Cong is a a small village locked in time by the movie "The Quiet Man" starring John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara and the usual John Ford players. Jerry is a funny fellow and well known in the area. He told us where to eat, to visit and some history of the area and movie facts and trivia. If you like the movie, which I do, you'll enjoy the town and area. It is a nice place to stay with an very adequate breakfast to send you off.

Room Tip: Call ahead.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at A Michaeleen's Manor on October 17. I was with two other friends on a "girl's trip". All of the other B&B's we stayed at in Ireland were great, but I was very, very disappointed in A Michaeleen's. We were running late and called to say we would not make it there until 7:30 p.m. We received an answering machine and no call back. When we arrived the place was in total darkness and there was a note on the door that if anyone wanted to stay (hello? we had reservations) they should call a cell number. I called and the proprietor, Gerry, said he would be right over. He came flying into the parking lot of the hotel a few minutes later and seemed very angry. He quoted us a much higher rate than what we had arranged for an "extra" person that was traveling along. After some dickering he gave her a room for 45 Euro but the next day in town, on his tour we found a lower advertised rate on the window of his "other business". We asked him about it and he said "oh that's not really the rate for a single person but you just advertise your lowest rate to get people in the door". Also, he left us in the B&B by ourselves. Showed us how to lock the door and left!! Did not show up until the next morning when he and his wife served breakfast. The fruit was canned not fresh, we were asked to toast our own bread and the toaster did not work (burned the bread each time). Gerry's wife Margaret was lovely but Jerry himself was rude and angry and somewhat of a "con artist" type business man -- think snake oil salesman at a circus. I would NEVER recommend this B&B to anyone.

Room Tip: You don't get a choice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Beth_Ann_C531
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
The Lodge at Ashford Castle
#1 of 13 in Cong
Ryan's River Lodge
Ryan's River Lodge
#3 of 13 in Cong

Been to Michaeleen's Manor? Share your experiences!