“Highlight of our trip to Ireland”

Ireland's School of Falconry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A chance for you to fly a hawk around the spectacular grounds of Ashford Castle in a private one hour Hawk Walk. No-one ever forgets the moment when their hawk first swoops down from a tree to land on their gloved fist - Flying a hawk is an experience of a lifetime!
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I am so glad we took a chance and stopped by the school at the day of our castle checkout. Flying a hawk is one of those life time experiences one will never forget. The school is located at the Ashford Castle grounds and although run independently, it was impressively clean and spacious. It was clear that all animals are treated with love and respect. Colin (Not sure how to spell his name) was our guide/teacher. He was so knowledgeable and passionate about his job! He took the time to show us the grounds and explain what happens daily with each bird at the school. He showed us the area where the birds are kept overnight and details on how they are fed. Milli was our hawk and she did such a great job staying around as we walked the castle gardens and forest coming back every time we wanted to feed her. She put on a nice show flying low to the ground and even just hanging out on our arm as we walked around. This is by far the most amazing experience we had in Ireland and we highly recommend anyone to stop by and check the school out. Special thanks to Colin (former school teacher) for taking us in on a last minute request without notice, he is great!

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

The Ireland school of falconry is so worth doing. My husband and 3 teenagers and I all just loved it! Definitely one of our most favorite things we've done as a family. Our guide was wonderful and the falcons were just amazing!

1  Thank Lorrie B
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was a little bit nervous about taking the 1-hour Hawk Walk. Mostly, I just wasn't sure what to expect, but the whole experience was extremely easy and fun - possibly the most fun I've ever had in an hour. My husband and I went out at the same time with a fabulous guide, Connell, who put us immediately at ease with his infectious enthusiasm and obvious deep knowledge of and care for the birds. We took out two one-year-old Harris hawks, Chico and Aztec, who were curious and adventurous but well-trained and very easy to work with. We walked through the woods around Ashford Castle, releasing the birds to fly and hunt, and then bringing them back with bits of raw meat supplied by our guide. When we passed close to the castle, Connell tossed bits of meat in the air and let the birds swoop down and grab it out of the air... or at least try. We learned a lot about our birds and the other birds of prey kept at the school, but really, the amazing thing was just calling a raptor swooping out of the sky to come land on your arm and hang out with you for a bit. I can still see it every time I close my eyes.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I've never seen my husband so excited as he was after experiencing the Hawk Walk at Ashford Castle. I am afraid of birds but I have to say this was an unforgettable experience. Laura was our guide and her joy and passion for Falconry was so apparent you couldn't help but get wrapped up in the whole experience. DO NOT MISS THIS! So unique and where better to do something like this than on the beautiful grounds of Ashford?

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a once in a lifetime wonderful experience. I decided to go with friends who were taking a class. I am so happy I did. The Staff was very knowledgable about the birds, the history of the sport and how it is used today. We walked the grounds with the birds and watched how they worked. We learned so much and were sorry when our time was up.