“Amazing”

Ireland's School of Falconry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A chance for you to fly a hawk around the spectacular grounds of Ashford Castle in a private one hour Hawk Walk. No-one ever forgets the moment when their hawk first swoops down from a tree to land on their gloved fist - Flying a hawk is an experience of a lifetime!
usa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Owen, our guide, did a super job. Really informative, professional in every sense. Walk was just amazing. What creatures these incredible birds are! An experience of a lifetime which will provide lasting appreciations of aerial "lions", masters of the skies.

Visited March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Denver, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Brilliant! Do it, you won't be sorry!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I originally did not plan to do the falconry while staying at AShford, even though I love birds, but another couple my husband and I were traveling with decided to do it, and I tagged along. I am so glad I did! As others have noted, this was a highlight of our trip, largely because of Aurelie, who guided our falconry experience. Her enthusiasm and energy are contagious! She really added to our enjoyment and while I am sure all the guides are fantastic, you'll be lucky if you get her! We paid 55 euros because there were 3 of us, and it was well worth it. I can't recommend this enough!

Visited February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AMAZING Day trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I just visited this weekend 02/03/2013. What an AMAZING Experience.
Up close an personal with Birds of pray woo . after words i just wanted to go again :) .
I would highly recommend Ireland's School of Falconry in County Mayo.

Only Bad points
Unfortunately Ashford castle was closed due to sum conference so couldn't get
anything to eat or drink.
You could use the Bathroom facilities
The Castle was poorly Signposted .
I would rec amend Parking at the castle and walking
because there is no signs for the Falconry on the road .

Visited March 2013
Cork
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Better every time, amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Last flew hawks about 3 years ago on my birthday here at Ashford castle and couldnt wait to go back again. Booked a hawk walk for both myself and my dad and it was simply fantastic. Our guide Colin was very professional and had alot of knowledge of the hawks and birds of prey in general. My dad who is an avid bird lover was definately in his element with the whole experience. We even had an opportunity to fly Dingle the resident eagle owl and that was something special indeed. Great value for money and definately recommended. Its both a relaxing and exciting experience wrapped into one. They now have Falcons and even a Goshawk at the school. Thanks to everyone at the School of Falconry who helped make the experience very special. Will definately return - again!

Cork, Ireland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Magical experience-just do it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I booked the Hawk Walk as a surprise birthday gift for my boyfriend. He had no idea what was in store for him when we arrived at Ashford Castle but his eyes just lit up when he read the sign as we walked to the school from the Castle. I wasn't sure what to expect as the thought of a big bird with a big beak sitting of my arm sounded pretty scary to me but I knew my boyfriend would love it. Our guide was amazing, so knowledgeable and passionate. Once the hawk was sitting on my arm I was quickly reassured and confident. Our hawks, Aztec and Chicco, teenage Harris Hawks flew amazingly through the forest. It was an unforgettable experience that we thoroughly enjoyed. We would strongly recommend it.

Visited February 2013