“What a Thrill (For All Ages)!!!”

Ireland's School of Falconry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A chance for you to fly a hawk around the spectacular grounds of Ashford Castle in a private one hour Hawk Walk. No-one ever forgets the moment when their hawk first swoops down from a tree to land on their gloved fist - Flying a hawk is an experience of a lifetime!
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Having "flown" these majestic birds on a trip to Ireland in 2011, this was my second visit to the Ireland School of Falconry. This time I brought my 85-year-old mom and a cousin. And yes, my mom got gloved and flew a Harris Hawk like a pro ... thanks to the exquisite introduction and guidance of hands-on trainer Keelin, a passionate, extremely knowledgable raptor specialist. (Please see attached photos. The glorious gal with the cane is really a spry 85!! And she loved her "hawk walk!") What a fantastic visit we enjoyed at the Ireland School of Falconry near Ashford Castle! The cost is very reasonable and these birds are gentle and graceful on the outstretched arm. Anyone can do this. We highly recommend this stop for memories that will last you a lifetime! Thank you, Keelin. And thank you ISF!! Carl, Mildred and Nancy (from the U.S.)

1  Thank CB3322
There are newer reviews for Ireland's School of Falconry

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We did the Hawk Walk with our guide Mark and really had a great time.

Got to spend lots of flying time with a hawk and even got to fly an owl. Mark was a great host and had all the answers to our questions; even the obscure ones. :-)

Would recommend this attraction to everyone and also recommend Mark as a guide.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our son had the once in a lifetime falconry lesson with Mark in July, 2012. Mark is a passionate, caring, knowledgable and experienced individual. The other 3 of our family throughly enjoyed photographing the experience. It's too bad that we only had one day at this location or the rest of us could have had lessons.
It was the first time 4 of us went to Ireland and we spent 2 weeks in various places but this falconry will be remembered as one our best times.
The Jollys

Reviewed August 11, 2012

First of all, the grounds of Ashford Castle are beautiful, and well worth exploring. When you add in a walk to the school of Falconry, and then a Hawk Walk around the grounds, it makes the day exceptional. My husband and I had the pleasure of meeting Conal, our guide, who obviously loves what he does. His delight in the birds was infectious. We were given Earrach and Cara to work with. We were told that Earrach could be difficult, but my husband loved the challenge, and both birds flew beautifully for us. I think this outing was my husband's favorite part of our trip to Ireland, and in fact, while in The Burren the next day, we had to stop at the Birds of Prey Center because my husband hadn't gotten enough. These Harris Hawks are absolutely gorgeous birds, and I can see why Conal loves them so much. After a Hawk Walk, you'll love them too.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

If you want an unusual side trip when you visit Ireland or are an avid birder I would highly recommend Ireland's School of Falconry in County Mayo. It is located on the grounds of Ashford Castle. There is a website if you would like to get basic information about the school.
I can not begin to express my joy of being able to take out a hawk on a leather glove. It was quite a thrill.

1  Thank Ksfalconer19