2,463 results
All reviews george v afternoon tea horseback riding irish wolfhounds once in a lifetime hawk walk like royalty falconry school boat tour high tea front gate prince of wales bucket list drawing room lough corrib quiet man irish wolf hounds
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We actually stayed at the adjacent Lodge at Ashford Castle (see separate review) but had the most "fabulous to Ireland" dinner in the gorgeous George V dining room...dinner was exquisite and the service simply sublime. And loved how gentlemen needed a coat and tie...don't see much of that these days, sadly.
Lovely, lovely evening...

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I visited Ireland back in 2015 and had a fabulous time. One of my main reasons for returning was I wanted to stay at Ashford Castle. It did not disappoint. I stayed here 3 nights with my husband and my parents and it was heaven. My mother repeatedly said that she would love to come back to Ireland just to stay at Ashford Castle again and I couldn't agree more. The rooms were beautiful and comfortable. The staff was exceptional. The food was great, the grounds perfect. Make sure you take time to do the falconry. It was a highlight of our trip. I recommend the extended hawk walk. Joe was our guide and he made the experience that much better with his attitude, knowledge, and love of the birds. Seriously, book your trip here now. I've only been gone 2 hours and I already miss it.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed two nights at Ashford Castle. Absolutely wonderful stay. Great dining experiences, lovely grounds, good fishing, amazing falconry experience.
Staff is friendly, attentive and very courteous
Wished we could have stayed longer
Highlight of our Ireland two week tour

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Breathtaking! Awesome!! Amazing!!! Perfectly landscaped, by the water, next to a golf course, what else can one ask? Fabulous food, impeccable service, amenities to long to list, it’s ALL here! What would you expect at a 5 star. These folks have it covered. Definitely the highlight of our 2 week tour of the country. Thanks to all for making it special.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

In seventy years of travel around the world, I have never experienced anything like this hotel. "Can25m25" says "words cannot describe this place" and she's right. It's simply too amazing to be believed.

First, it is a real castle, with the oldest parts built in the 11th century. Then it was expanded, fell into disrepair, salvaged and updated — almost a thousand years of dukes and kings, ups and downs, wars, famines, floods and prosperity. Right now, the "ups" are winning and I am so glad.

It's about 90 minutes north of Galway on a tiny country road, so take your time getting there. The hotel is set on thousands of acres of woodlands and farms. There's even a whole village on the property. The driveway is so long we almost had to take a bathroom break. The best part is driving over a real moat to arrive at the front door.

Check-in is fast and effortless, as you might expect, and then the staff escorts you directly to your room while other munchkins hustle your bags through secret passages.

Our bit of Heaven was lined in blue silk (! I'm not making this up, folks!) and the bathroom was blue-grey marble. The closets were nicer than my living room. We overlooked the lake and could see boats going by as people walked in the gardens.

We're golfers, and the Castle comes with it's own nine-hole track that's a REAL golf course; not a pitch-and-put... We played it twice and came home exhausted. No tee times and no fees, just show up and start swinging.

Champagne in the bar was delightful and dinner in the George V dining room was fabulous. I think it was eight courses, each better than than one before. We finished it off with an elegant port from the biggest bottle I have ever seen which technically is called a "REHOBOAM" if I have it right (see photo).

The best part of the entire stay: an unannounced bag piper plays at sunset. It brings tears to your eyes.

Dear reader, I have added more than 600 reviews to TripAdvisor. I've stayed at Ritz Carlton in Singapore, the Burj Al Arab in Dubai, the Olympia in Seattle and the Connaught Hotel in London, to name just a few. I can say without hesitation or fear of contradiction this is the finest hotel in the world. It simply cannot get any better than this.

Room tip: Stay in the Castle, not the Lodge. The Lodge is nice but remote and not quite the same league. It's a little more money but worth it.
Date of stay: August 2019