“The Highlight of our Ireland Tour”
Review of Ashford Castle

Ashford Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cong
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at Ashford Castle. The castle and grounds were breathtaking. The service was so nice. The food in the George V dining room was fantastic. The concierge was so helpful in helping us choose between the many recreation options. We chose to visit the equestrian centre and ride a couple of the fun Connemara ponies on a fun ride around the estate. In the afternoon, we took the boat trip that travels around Lough Carrib and let us off for a visit to the island where St. Patrick was banished in the 6th century. On the cruise, there was a gentleman playing the accordion and singing Irish songs. His name was Martin and he was an extra in the movie The Quiet Man. It was just a special experience. Paul, the bartender, was so pleasant and fun to talk to about all the Irish Whiskeys.

The grounds were so well kept and beautiful. The stream that runs in front of the castle had swans and there was a walking path that led to the lovely little town of Cong, where The Quiet Man was filmed. It's a small town, but with lots of interesting history and a few pubs where the locals are only to happy to talk about their claim to fame.

The bottom line is that if you want a true castle experience in Ireland, then Ashford Castle is the way to go! Looking back, I would have stayed here every night of my trip if it had been possible.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Janet P
Niall_Rochford, General Manager at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear Janet P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views of your stay with us earlier this month.

I am so glad that concierge were able to assist you in finding a pursuit that matched your needs. The teams involved in the Corrib Cruises and the Equestrian centre are such a credit to us and sound as if they made your stay very special. Paul will also be delighted to hear his extensive Whiskey knowledge was entertaining and informative!

I would like to thank you for your kind words, and if you are arranging a return visit please do let me know in advance as so I can greet you personally.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and didn't sleep here—just stopped to visit the grounds (which have amazing big old trees) and have a spot of tea. It's an exceptionally beautiful property, particularly the room where we had tea. I would happily return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abecedarius

Dear Abecedarius,

Thank you for kind words in regards to your visit in May. I do hope you can join us again in the future for an extended stay, we look forward to welcoming you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We recently stayed at the Ashford Castle for 2 days (June 10th-12th). Everyone at the hotel is friendly and accommodating. The grounds are amazing and if you get the chance, you must do falconry. I enjoyed the food and our room was very comfortable. The only thing I would say is that they could use more outlets and the toilets are slow to recover water. I would highly recommend the trip and to see the village of Cong where the movie; The Quiet Man was filmed.

1  Thank Kathleen M

Dear Katheleen M,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at Ashford Castle. Thank you for noting the friendliness of the staff, amazing falconry and enjoyable food.

I hope you can return to us in the near future for yet another memorable stay.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for two nights. The grounds are beautiful and our room was very comfortable and faced the lake so it was very quiet. The only thing I didn't like was having to dry my hair in the bedroom instead of the bathroom. It was similar at the other Ireland hotels I stayed at as well. The choices at the breakfast buffet were excellent and dinner in the George V and Cullen's were good.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Niall_Rochford, General Manager at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Georgia G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Ashford Castle and for choosing to stay with us.

I hope you had a memorable visit and I am pleased to read that your room and view were very much to your liking. Your compliments will be passed along to our breakfast chef and teams involved in the mentioned dining areas.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope you will return to Ashford Castle in the future.

Many Thanks

Reviewed June 14, 2014

we stayed in the Kennedy Suite and would highly recommend. However, I have to deduct one star for the disappointment with dinner in the George V dinning room and a 2nd star deduction for the failure to deliver after dinner Brandy and chocolate that were supposed to be included in the package. Avoid the George V restaurant. Both service and food were poor and very expensive. The Cullen's restaurant is half the price, great service and excellent food and drink, although not much ambiance. Again, the Kennedy Suite is as good as it gets, just avoid the George V dinning.

Room Tip: Kennedy Suite
2  Thank big2na

Dear big2na,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Ashford Castle and for sharing your review of your vacation. I was sorry to hear that you had a mixed experience, especially with the service you received.

I will be personally looking into the areas mentioned, especially in George V, with the restaurant manager. I would like to assure you that we aim for very high standards of service throughout the hotel and restaurant, and the fact that you did not receive this is a matter of great importance to me.

The Kennedy Suite is a beautifully decorated room and I am so glad you were able to soak up its ambience. If you do plan a return visit to the castle, please contact me personally as so I can oversee all aspects of your stay.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed 3 days at the castle early in June and had a wonderful time. Staying here is quite different then the standard hotel with extraordinary castle with exceptional grounds and facilities. It's very easy to relax here even if like us you also participate in the various activities on offer. We did clay shooting, archery, equestrian and bicycle riding. No experience was necessary. Just wished we had played golf, the course looked superb.

The room was very comfortable and the service first class. We also had two great meals in the George the V restaurant.

Obviously not your average weekend away, very special.

1  Thank MFM11
Niall_Rochford, General Manager at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Dear MFM11,

I am so happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us at Ashford Castle earlier this month.

We are so lucky to have so many amazing facilities on the estate and I am glad to read you took great advantage of these. It also great that you were able to take the time to relax, I am happy the castle surroundings were able to provide a comfortable atmosphere for you.

I hope you will come back again to try out the golf course, which will reopen in August, and maybe visit the Falconry School also.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Many thanks

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Our stay at Ashford Castle was everything I hoped for and more. The new owners have upgraded the property and are continuing to invest in this jewel. The rooms, restaurants, bars, gardens, grounds, stables and Falconry are excellent. The George V Restaurant was a rare treat. the food the atmosphere and the elegance was First Class. The Spa was nice and the staff attentive, but it is in need of an upgrade. I was told that the Spa will be expanded and brought up to the standards of property. My wife and I can't wait to return. I know it will even better when we do!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Bob B

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review about your recent stay at Ashford Castle.

Our recent renovations have been a great success and thank you for making note of this. I am so glad that you dined at George V, your kind words will be passed along to all those who work to create such an elegant and tasty atmosphere in the restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to enjoy our spa renovations.

Many thanks
Niall Rochford

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Villa Pio Bed & Breakfast and Luxury Apartment
Corrib Wave House
Corrib Wave House
#13 of 23 in Oughterard

Been to Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!