“Absolutely Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cong
West Islip, New York
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My fiance and I travelled all over Ireland for 2 weeks in March of 2013. We were fortunate enough to stay at Ashford Castle and it was unbelievable! It is the epitome of a fairy tale castle and even has a moat! The castle is decorated ornately and it was completely luxurious. The fine dining was impeccable and a truly memorable experience - they even had a special vegetarian menu which I greatly appreciated.

I cannot recommend Ashford Castle highly enough. It is hotel where I would expect to run into royalty or celebrities because it is that awesome. The staff was so kind and professional that we actually felt like royalty when we were there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Ashford Castle was the pinnacle stop on our two week tour of Ireland. It was tremendous. The rooms, staff, grounds, dining, and activities were all second to none. Over our three day stay, various members of our party of 25 took advantage of all Ashford had to offer, and none came away disappointed. Fishing, hawking, horseback riding, archery, walking the trails, bicycling, historical tours, were arranged by the concierge, and exceeded everyone's expectation. The attention our family received over the three days was exemplary. Of special note- Martin, (the maitre-d in the dining room), Stephen and Brian of the staff, and all of the concierge staff made us feel very special. Well done, Ashford Castle... you created an album full of wonderful memories!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RDSBoston
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

As other reviewers have said, a stay at Ashford Castle is not to be missed. Yes, it is very expensive, but this experience puts all other luxury hotels to shame. The grounds are spectacular, the service outstanding and personal, the food exceptional and the activities are mind-boggling. While my husband and son indulged in a round of golf, I did the school of falconry, which was probably the highlight of my trip to Great Britain. It's pretty amazing to be strolling through the lush forest with a gorgeous hawk on your arm...as you walk, the falconer provides a running commentary about the birds, their habits, how they are trained, etc. Absolutely fascinating. (Thank you Colin; you were fantastic!)
There are so many activities to choose from that you could spend a week here and not run out of things to do. (In fact, that's my plan when I win the lottery...) With only one day, we were limited, but in addition to the golf and falconry, we tried our hand at skeet shooting, which was also a blast (so to speak). We had to wait out a bit of rain in the stables, but while we did, our instructor provided a little background information on all the horses there. We also managed to get in a run -- phenomenal paths through the forest, along the lake.
In short, WOW. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank landryclan
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Happiness is the feeling that flows from you when you pull up to this beautiful castle realizing that you actually get to stay on this wonderful property. Gracing the shores of a lovely lake, Ashford Castle is a dream come true. I spent my birthday here walking into an enchanted forest with an a spectacular HAWK sitting on my gloved hand and arm, releasing her to glide freely through the moss draped trees just to have her fly back to me and feast on raw pheasant in my gloved hand. How's that for a magical birthday! DO NOT MISS the Falconry and reserve EARLY. The furnishings in the public spaces are divine. Loved the bar! And the bartender! The hotel rooms are in need of an upgrade and are slated to receive this, I believe in the near future. The music in the drawing room in the evenings is an experience you won't forget. The staff is charming and adorable in many aspects. We took an awesome boat-ride out onto the lake piloted by Frank, a gem of a gentleman. Don't miss going into the town of Cong by bike. It is a quaint village with a picturesque river landscape. Great place for any celebration or wedding. I simply LOVED this castle and it's surrounding property. Worth the drive from Dublin!

Room Tip: Rooms are a bit dated. However, they are due for an update according to the staff in January of 201...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HTBMartin
Guyton, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was truly a castle. Located on 365 acres of pure beauty. We were greeted at the bridge, told them our name and by the time we parked the car we were greeted, by name, they took our luggage and we were then greeted by reception, by name. Spent five days in Ireland and had the best meal at Cullen's across the bridge. The hotel staff was friendly, helpful and always with a greeting and smile. The view from our room was spectacular even while laying in the bed you could see the river surrounding the hotel. If you go to Ireland and want to stay in a castle, this is the place to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Billy B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

While planning our recent trip to Ireland, I was actually asked the name of my favorite castle. I laughed at the very sound of the question... But now I have an answer. My favorite castle is Ashford. Like so many reviewers before me, I was awe-struck by this fairy tale location. The staff were spectacular. The rooms quite grand. We were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to enjoy dinner and breakfast in the formal dining room, a more casual meal at Cullen's (in a separate building but on the estate), and a lovely afternoon tea. Each one was superb. All these things were superior but the icing on the cake was the School of Falconry. There are many activities at Ashford but an opportunity like this is not to be missed! I have to admit, I was a wee bit nervous on the walk over to meet with the staff but they were all incredibly kind, patient, and soft spoken. (I have to believe this is a prerequisite for working with these birds). There were three in our party and after some history, some instruction, and some gloves, we were off. It was spectacular. Want to impress your work colleagues? Return from vacation with a photo of you suited up with a hawk resting on your gloved arm! Fantastic!

Room Tip: Note: there is not a swimming pool at Ashford, yet. But they are undergoing a lot of renovation and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SusanKal
Smithville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Ashdod Castle is a gem. The area is spectacular with fantastic activities to choose from or sit in the lobby and watch the array of visitors. The grounds of this historic castle are beautiful. Falconing at the Ireland School of Falconry was a highlight on our trip. The maitre d, Martin, is charming welcoming and warm. We were very lucky to experience the castle and look forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Maureensiman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Galway Bay Hotel
#5 of 47 in Galway
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,815 reviews
the g Hotel & Spa Galway

Been to Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!