“Wow!”
Review of Ashford Castle

Ashford Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cong
Reviewed July 14, 2013

What a fairytale setting! I expected something nice, but it was jaw-dropping. The room was huge and recently renovated overlooking the lake. One of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. The service was excellent. When we returned from dinner there were even slippers laid out beside the bed.

We had dinner at the golf course restaurant. This was not a burger joint by any means. I had trout that was fresh and delicious and my wife had salmon that was equally as good.

The public rooms are beautiful with dark woods and crystal chandeliers. After dinner, we had a drink in the lobby and there was a piano player,, guitar player and singer, playing and singing Irish songs and requests. The perfect ending to a long day in the car before retiring for the night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JackTravels1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,789)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Paid 1500 eu for one night for 5. Had animal fecies on our sofa and floor ('not cleaned up for 2 hours, even when we asked we has guests coing for pre-dinner drinks), a light that fell out of the ceiling, a bed not made up as reserved (2 doubles rather than a king) until 11:30 pm (when my children were going to bed and went into the room and realized it was not done). The folks in the next room decided to watch a movie at 2:00 am am and we could hear every word. We then left our camera in the lounge and had asked 3 times in the morning if it was found. Upon checking lost and found, were told 3 times it was not there. Only when the head person checked was it "found" right away. Made us very suspicious about what the others planned to do with it. Every time people apologized profusely but at that price, simply not acceptable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MEC6
Reviewed July 14, 2013

So excited about a once in a lifetime stay in a castle. It was beautiful, magical,etc. We loved walking the path through the woods to Cong and on the castle grounds. The room was lovely with views of castle and lake. All was perfect. Except the sting of the cost. Approx $700 US a night for what we felt was equivalent of a night in an average high end hotel. There just didn't seem to be enough "extras" or extra attention,etc. to warrant the cost. Also, booked reservations way in advance for Cullen's and indicated it was a special anniversary dinner. Expected this to be recognized in some way or at least mentioned and it was not. This was a disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oceanluvr23
Reviewed July 13, 2013

If you like the Quiet Man you would enjoy this visit. The crew of this film stayed here and the gardens are just beautiful to see. Enjoy a short stroll to the creek where fishing scenes were filmed and afterwards drive to Cong where you will find various stops of the film If you are interested go to the Quiet House Museum you will find a map with all film locations. Enjoy It is a beautiful little town

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Amazing staff whom will do their best to make sure you are taken care of. Stayed there to celebrate my Moms Birthday and TJ made sure they were doing all they could for us to enjoy our stay. We enjoyed a delicious lunch in the drawing room and the concierge arranged falconry for our group where we flew 3 birds between the 5 of us (something our leader said she had never done). The Falconry staff were patient, knowledgeable and overall very nice. We had dinner in the formal dining room. Marten took great care of us including bringing a special dessert for the Birthday. Our experience was amazing and we learned that if there is anything you need at Ashford all you have to do is ask!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original part of the castle.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HollyK181
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed two nights and enjoyed it immensely. Highly recommend the school of falconry. One of the best things we did on vacation. Took the boat cruise. Ate at both he Cottage and George V restaurant. Both were lovely but for the price we enjoyed the Cottage more! Met the lovely Sinead who was our host at the castle. She was wonderful and so accommodating. All the staff we met were wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I only had one night, wished it was more, would have loved to explore the grounds of the castle more, because I know I missed areas of the castle. the falconry school was fantastic, I enjoyed my hour with my hawk and falconer, she was very informative and very knowledgeable. Mary and the girls at the equestrian center were all knowledgeable and helpful and I totally loved the areas I rode in, I also fell in love with Biscuit the horse. The staff at Ashford were so friendly and helpful, I wasn't excepting to have my carry-on's placed on the bus for me while I was having my massage. The spa staff were also friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I don't think it really matters where you are, you will have a great room with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SamandRian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Ryan's Hotel
Ryan's Hotel
#3 of 3 in Cong
Westport Country Lodge Hotel

Been to Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!