“The most mismanaged inadequate hotel I've ever stayed in”

The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cong
GreenLeadersGold level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“The most mismanaged inadequate hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Having read the most recent reviews I wonder if we stayed at the same hotel. The attitude of the reception staff was appalling. The dark and dingy decor and extremely low lighting ( a health and safety hazard) must be an acquired taste - we had to read the menu by candle light!

The dining room was closed so all the guests had to eat in the bar but most of it had been given over to a private party so only 3 tables were available. The staff seemed to think this was a fairly regular occurrance. They had run out of the basic wine that we had ordered and the same with the marmalade at breakfast where we witnessed a row in the kitchen. We had to wait for cereal bowls and the flowers on the table must have been dead for several days.
The waiter knocked our table and spilled a considerable amount of coffee but had to be asked before clearing it up.

On the positive side the bedroom was very nice but there was no hair dryer, no shaver point and one small shampoo and shower gel to share between two people. Only 2 tea and coffee sachets.

Not like usual Irish hospitality at all.

2 Thank grumbleweed1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Dublin
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Lisloughrey Lodge, WOW!!!

This hotel is like opening a Christmas present - the one you weren't expecting!!! On the outside you have the traditional, beautifully sculpted metaphoric gift box.... and upon entering you are blown away by a visual myriad of rich textures and patterns puncuated by dark woods giving a wonderfully opulent feel. The dining area is in contrast ,light and airy with the opulence of the reception areas meandering subtly throughout the room and you get to view amazing scenery while enjoying ,what I can only describe as one of the best meals I have had in a long time.

The food here is a real focal point. The falvours are perfectly balanced and leave your taste buds thourghly satisfied. Another bonus is that although the food has that modern,contempory twist it still retains that heartiness you expect from and Irish establishment.Dining here is a real treat on many levels and the Head Chef is clearly a true talent which adds to the Hotels' appeal. As A fish lover I have to recommend the Sea Bass ..... wholey satisfying!!!

The bedroms..... firstly, I love the quirkiness of naming the rooms rather than using numbers , this really adds to the personality of the Hotel.
Secondly, the rooms are decorated to a very high standard, they are chic and elegant but sooooo comfy... the perfect mix!!!

Finally... I have to mention the staff . The efficiency with which they operate is applaudable.. They work with such synchronisity the result is a fluid and flawless service.. Another bonus point is that they blend into the background but are so intune with the customer that they are there at the time when you need them.. and you are greeted throughout with warmth and friendliness , you really get the feeling they enjoy working here...
This Hotel, in all respects is of a very high standard, as far as I am concerned it ticks all the boxes..

I know we are all sick of hearing about the "R" word but I would urge anyone considering a weekend away over seas to reconsider...
When we have treats like this on our doorstep we should explore and support them because you get so much more out that what you put in ..

I know I most certainly will be back!!!

Thank you very much to all at Lisloughery Lodge for a very memorable weekend!!!

Dublin
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Just returned from a weekend at the hotel for my sons wedding, it was the most amazing wedding i have attended in my life. everything about the hotel was wonderful, Mark and Hilda made the whole event perfect, even when people complained about their shoes hurting other footware was provided,the food was out of this world many thanks to Wade,breakfast on the following morning was perfect even the timing was perfect .
I wish I could repeat the whole experience again soon. Maria

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
West of ireland
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Stayed in Lisloughrey Lodge recently on the recommendation of some friends who were at a wedding there. Love the decor of the bar and reception area but can see how it's not to everyones taste. Had a couple of drinks in the bar when we arrived and ordered from the bar menu. I don't like saying 'Bar menu' as it is not 'bar food'. The best fish and chips I have eaten in a long time. My partners burger was very tasty too as i finished what my partner couldn't! Service was attentive but not intrucive at any stage.
Rooms are lovely and comfy. Felt really snug as the rain pelted off the windows.
Dinner now that is out of this world. The food is of 5 star standard and is definatly the best meal I've had in Ireland in a long time never mind the west. Fresh ingredients cooked with a great imagination and unbelievable talent. All the flavours just worked so well and the presentation was first class. Wine was a bit expensive, but the service was great also. Almost didn't want the meal to end.
Breakfast the next morning was excellent too with great friendly service especially from the local boy, can't remember his name! Patrick or Paul??
Overall this is a wonderful hotel and would recommend it to anyone. There is a reason why it's food and service has won so many awards from the begining! As the title says the only bad thing about the place was the weather!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 26, 2009

My boyfriend & I stayed here for 3 nights in early August and had a great time. We stayed in a duplex suite which had a great sitting room downstairs with double height ceilings and and a large bedroom and en-suite bathroom upstairs.

The staff were excellent and very helpful. We ate in the acclaimed Salt restaurant on our 1st night which was excellent but don't be in a rush lots of courses, each one as good as the next. The following 2 nights we ate in the bar which was very good, not a huge menu but what they had was good.

There is a spa on site and the therapist was excellent, they come to your room to collect you for your appointment which is a nice touch.

The Wii room is a nice extra and we had good fun there on our last night.

I'd highly recommend Lisloughrey, the location is great and it's within easy walking distance of Cong Village and Ashford Castle.

Looking forward to a return visit....

Co Limerick Ireland
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We also were disappointed with this hotel. The public/lounging areas are not comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful but the chef doing the bar menu refused to do potatoes (or at least said it would take an hour) - This is Ireland I thought -so we went down the village and got a meal there instead.
The place felt cold when we got there on the 11th Aug - and to me, the decor in the hall and lounge is very dreary. The room was ok but underwhelming and we certainly got no chocolates -
We were going to check out as we were booked for three days but the staff were friendly and so we stayed for the duration. However, we ate dinner out for the three nights.

1 Thank Aine60
County Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Stayed here with friends on August Bank holiday weekend and have mixed feeling about this hotel. On arrival greeted by a friendly receptionist and shown to rooms which are around a courtyard ,on first appearance not very awe inspiring, but the rooms make up for this. We stayed in the Heinsteick and leyroy quay suites, everyhing you could need with ample space for a whole family. L'occitane products, hairdryer, iron, etc, Dvd.
Decided to have bar food as they main restaurant Salt closes on Monday and Tuesday.
Food just mediocre. Fish was cremated and burger very dry.
This hotel is fabulous for a romantic getaway, peace and quiet, wii room for kids but not to many around. I loved the decor of red and black maybe not to everyones taste boudoir style, Lovely plush armchairs and sofa's. Weather was terrible with rain could not go for walk , All in all a lovely hotel but lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on (maybe atmosphere). Will definately return with other half sometime soon.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#5 of 14 in Westport

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!