“Really good but some small problems”

The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cong
GreenLeadersGold level
Galway, Ireland
“Really good but some small problems”
Reviewed December 16, 2008

We went to Lisloughrey recently and overall vwere very impressed - we had one of the Quay Suites, which doesn't exactly have a view of the Quay, but then again they weren't claiming that it did. Massive room, very comfortable beds, fantastic bathroom, robes, slippers etc. Dinner was excellent and that was expected given the €69 a head price tag. Breakfast was good - they use meats from James McGeough in Oughterard who is one of the best butchers in Ireland. But, there was little other choice. Yes they offer kippers, but the cold buffet was really dissapointing - cereal, some pastries and fruit salad - no cheese, no cold meats/salamai. I was expecting a bit more as they have won the Irish Breakfast of the Year. This seems to relate only to the actual fry. Other establishments, notably the Park Inn in Mulranny are cheaper and have a far superior breakfast. Don't get me wrong, I am being pretty picky, but it's just at the prices they charge I'd have expected a bit more. Also, although the hotel was extremely quiet, the bar after dinner was taken over by a loud, obnoxious and very drunk group of 3 or 4 Americans one of whom insisted on playing a fiddle that sounded like he was strangling a cat at times. The girl in the group kept shouting and bouncing off the walls until she decided to collapse on a couch. Time to go for us. The poor barman was probably really pissed off at this stage but had to keep smiling. There was no senior management present and this group was allowed to annoy the few other guests that were enjoying a quiet drink in the bar.
Overall, though we had a fantastic time....the massage is fantastic and the 'treehut' hot-tub is an unusual touch.

• Liked — The food/room
  • Disliked — Uncontrolled drunks in the bar at night and lack of choice in breakfast buffet
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Galway
Reviewed December 5, 2008

For my birthday my wonderful boyfriend got me a present on a night in Lisloughery, with dinner included. The hotel is beautiful and set on an elevated site overlooking a lake. Theres some great areas for walking around the hotel and its worth going there for this alone. Our room was surprisingly small and slightly cluttered. The bed was huge and so comfy! The bathroom was massive with underfloor heating, a power shower, robes and slippers and lovely toiletries.

We had dinner booked for 7 and when we arrrived we were very disappointed to be shown into a drab conference room with four tables and zero atmosphere. I asked a waiter to turn on some music as everyone was whispering as the tables were so close and it was just plain awkward! He had to ask the manager before he could do this, which I found odd. The food was nothing spectacular, tiny portions and lacking the wow factor. Given the cost of dinner there (€69 pp) I wouldn't eat there again. I mentioned to the manager that we were disappointed we didn't get a table in the restaurant, especially since we booked it 6 weeks previously when we were booking the room, and he just shrugged of my complaint with 'its a Saturday night and we're very busy'. Not really my problem like!!

The following morning we had a lovely table in the restaurant with superb views, such a shame we only got this for breakfast! The breakfast was nice but there could have been a greater variety of non-meat options.

Overall we had a great time but the dinner was a major let down.

• Liked — The comfy bed and the location
  • Disliked — Booking the restaurant and getting a conference room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Stayed her for one night for a family get together. All of us very impressed. Got a great rate with dinner included and breakfast in the morning. Its only an hour from Galway so its not too much of a drive. The bedroom was lovely, not your average hotel room at all. Lovely furniture, underfloor heating, bathrobes, the whole lot. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The dinner was really top class. Chef came out to say hello to the group. Barman had no problem serving us till the wee hours of the morning. Breakfast was really nice with lots of variety if you didn't want a fry up. Black pudding really yummy. You have to walk outside to get to most of the rooms. Wasn't overly impressed with this cause i'm a bit nervous of the dark. There is a games room or a Wii room of the big and small kids. Would recommend it for a couple going away for the weekend or a girls weekend away.

Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Fantastic hotel. Absolutely gorgeous dinner-must have if staying. Modern hotel in a blissful setting! We're booking it for our wedding following our stay last month-I think that says all I need to say!

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank ruadh_ruadh
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Recently opend, Lisloughrey offers supberly designed rooms in a spectacular location. The breakfasts are absolutely delicious and the beds are deadly comfortable. The washrooms are luxurious anmd the little touches make Lisloughrey an aboslute recommendation for a getaway in the west of Ireland.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank shawnday
Longford
Reviewed October 17, 2008

In midweek, out of season, a stay at Lisloughrey, immediately following a night at its sister hotel, Wineport, was quite an eye opener, and an experience I would rather forget.

The decor is an acquired taste, and is essentially out of place. The location, bigged up on the website, is nothing compared to many places I have stayed. Indeed, the original building is entirely dwarfed by huge and unatractive extensions.

The welcome was friendly enough, though the place seemed very quiet. I was guided to my room, and I'd have never found it alone.

I'd made a dinner reservation, but was running a little behind when I had a call to my room saying the kitchen was closing at 8.30pm, the time of my reservation. I opted to forsake a rush to beat the deadline, and slept instead.

No problem on the sleep front, though the room was sterile and the minibar essentially empty. No complimentary offering that I received at Wineport, and no snacks to nibble on!

After a peaceful night, I discovered a note telling me that breakfast would be served in the bar, not the restaurant as I had been told when I arrived. My early morning bathing was disturbed by a workman who'd let himself in through the balcony door, who asked if the room he was in was "my room", and that he'd been sent to repair a leak....good start to the day.

The breakfast was indifferent, and I left completely disappointed and knowing that I should have been staying elsewhere.

This may be a fine place to be when it is full and buzzing, but it gave the impression of a hotel that was going to struggle in the tightening economic climate, and is not a place that left me burning desire to return as soon as possible....rather relief that I was leaving.

This was a stay that left me feeling I'd just wasted a large amount of money.

• Liked — Quiet - but then there was no one else there
  • Disliked — Decor, workmen in the bedroom, restaurant closed too early, room refreshments.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Winger62
Limerick
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Loved the setting and concept of this hotel. We had a duplex room which was on first sight lovely - unfortunately our room really needed a good clean. The basics were done but there was an inch of dust on the fittings in the room and in the sitting room downstairs, there were strange stains on the couch and cushions and each one of the punched holes in the gorgeous leather chair held a different surprise - a dead bluebottle, biscuit crumbs, bits of plastic... so disappointing. Also we had room service and the soup was stone cold.

The rest of the hotel was lovely and the staff were friendly, maybe we just caught them on a bad day.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank OrlaMT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#3 of 14 in Westport

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!