“Even better”

GreenLeadersGold level
Ireland
“Even better”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

This was our 4th time staying here but the first time staying since the new hotel group took over. While I loved the décor the way it use to be and not such a fan of the new décor it doesn't take away from the fantastic experience. From the moment we checked in everyone from reception to all the wait staff could not have been nicer. We were upgraded to a lakeview room which had a gorgeous view. They left a lovely note and piece of cake for my husband for his birthday.
We had dinner included in our package and it was excellent. It is a relief as a Coeliac to have knowledgeable wait staff that know all the ingredients in the dishes and how everything is cooked. Breakfast use to be a buffet but thankfully it is cooked to order now and matches the excellence of their dinner menu & service.

Room Tip: Worth it to get a lake view room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for wonderful review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that overall you had a wonderful stay with us. I am sorry that the new decor is not to your taste, however I hope that they will grow on you when you do return next to us.

It is great to read that you found the staff friendly, albeit, a lot of old faces as we have only added to this wonderful team from taking over on the 20th of January 2014. I am happy that you liked the changes to the way we serve breakfast and that it now matches our standards on other food offerings.

I do hope to be able to personally welcome you back for your 5th stay at The Lodge and we will look forward to our next encounter

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed last week for three nights on the lil lodgers package. Overall it was a superb experience, kids loved the kiddies club, the restaurant was AMazing, really fab food and quirky wonderful choices. Room was excellent, boat trip fantastic, staff so helpful courteous kind and just superb, cannot recommend it highly enough,we will be back its our third visit and best. Thanks to all staff decor cleanliness etc.

Room Tip: Families will love deluxe duplex.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CmrIreland
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.
It is great that you had a fantastic stay with us on the Lil Lodgers Package. Our staff really enjoyed taking care of you and your family. I am delighted to read that you found our team superb and the staff really enjoyed reading about your comments.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back for your third trip to The Lodge in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2014

First of all, if you are not into, beautiful scenery, peaceful surroundings, tranquality, great food and outstanding service.. Its not for you. Have stayed in alot of places in the south of ireland but the lodge would be at the top of our return list, which we are already planning.
Staff couldnt do enough for us, great room service, fantastic food.. Great nights sleep, bed very comfortable, rooms very clean. Great selection of food variety within the lodge, the castle and cullen's cottage , which is in between the lodge and castle.
We couldnt fault anything wrong with our stay. We would highly recommend it..

Room Tip: delux room with a view
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay overall.

I have passed your wonderful comments onto the staff who were delighted to read them. It is great to hear that you managed to explore all the food offerings on the Estate.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge at Ashford Castle in the not too distant future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We were there for our friend's wedding. I think this place is always packed with wedding parties. Especially weekends. If you are going away for a romantic getaway with your hubby or with your kids, I don't think this place is it for you.....

Food was great. Portion size = Very Very small like I mean soup came in an expresso cup. However, food was tasty and I enjoyed it.

Room was nice. Furnitures were bit outdated or it was just boring but bed was nice and comfy.

Overall great place. view is fantastic. I would go back there for another wedding!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Yuki K
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.

We do cater for weddings here at The Lodge but this is by no means the only guests that stay with us. Our Lil Lodgers family package is very popular along with our Staycation and Young at Heart packages. On average, for the year, we have one wedding a week, which is not necessarily over the weekend days, but during the summer months, there is understandably a higher demand for weddings at the weekend.

I am disappointed that you felt the pre-starter soup was a small portion, all menus are chosen by our brides and grooms to reflect their personal taste and individualism.

I am happy to read that you would return for another wedding and thank you for your time to write your review.

Hotel Manger
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Absolutely loved this place and the meal I have just eaten in their restaurant , has to have been the nicest meal myself and my wife have had in years. I love the west of Ireland and love how the Red Carnation group have totally improved the grounds of both Ashford and the Lodge properties . My only complaint was when I logged on to the wifi to write my review was the pop up screen that read"one of the last English Country Houses" and me a proud Irishman with a love for the West,

Room Tip: The lodges are spacious for families and give you that extra space that is sometimes necessary.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am delighted to read that we had the pleasure of serving you and your wife a memorable meal.

With regards to your complaint, our IT Manager and I were trying to replicate the message that you received when logging into our wifi network unsuccessfully. I would be delighted if you could furnish me with more details to colin@thelodgeac.com, as we are a proud Irish Country House.

I hope to welcome you and your wife back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.

Galway
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Lodge is located in the grounds of Ashford Castle (short walk away through the forest) with one of the best views across the Lake you could ever want.
My room was clean, if a bit worn around the edges. No AC and it smelled mouldy when I checked in - windows open all day/night helped with that, but shouldn't have had to. Couldn't get the heat switched off - maintenance were around quickly to try to resolve, but no fans available.
Comfortable bed, spacious room, lovely shower, no bath, complimentary toiletries.
Room was located down a corridor which seemed to slope strangely - almost felt like it was another part of the building/another building. There is a courtyard block I understand - don't know what rooms there were like.
Some of the common areas have been refurbished and are lovely and luxurious. If you're lucky, you'll only see these.
Most of the staff were helpful, but waiting staff in bar were so slow - over 50 minutes to wait for a Chicken Caesar salad (which was 2, yes, 2 cos lettuce leaves with a bit of chicken in each) and overpriced for what it was.
Breakfast served upstairs - get there early and get a view overlooking the lake - it's stunning.
Do a wide range of foods, catering to all tastes.
Wifi was erratic.
I would love to go back here when the renovations are completed - it has such potential - although currently overpriced. Understand the Lodge and the Castle have been acquired by the Red Carnation group and significant investment is planned, so fingers crossed they get it right!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake or forest.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank KatB15
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, whether good or bad this helps me monitor the service that we provide here at The Lodge.

I am sorry to hear of your issues with your bedroom. I have taken these comments back to the accommodation team to ensure that rooms are to the standard we expect for the arrival of our guests. We do have a stock of desk fans for our guest use, I apologise that this was not made available to you and have personally followed up with the member of staff who dealt with your request.

I am happy to hear that you found most of the staff helpful and breakfast catered to your taste, but disappointed that you found the bar service slow. We regularly conduct price comparisons in the surrounding area and I can assure you that all our food and drinks are competitively priced.

I do apologise for your experiences at The Lodge. I hope that you will give us a chance to rectify manners and I would like to oversee the details of any future reservations that you may have at The Lodge, please feel free to contact me on colin@thelodgeac.com.

Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is a very nice hotel in a fantastic location. My wife and I stayed here on a two night promotional package that included two evening meals. In my opinion, the Hotel is doing itself no favours with this promotion.

Whilst the hotel and facilities are excellent, we got the distinct impression we were treated as "lessor guests" because we were on the promotional offer. The two course meal in the bar was from a very limited "special" menu and very disappointing. I had the chicken tenders and to be honest have tasted better from KFC. On the flip side of this, the breakfasts were excellent (staff did not know who was on promotional offer and who wasn't )

On the day of our arrival I went to take a shower only to find the water cold. I contacted reception and was told that they were aware of the problem and were awaiting a plumber. I have no issue with this as I do realise breakdowns occur and are beyond the control of staff.

On our second day we left the room around 11.00 am, placing the "make up room" card on the door. On our return around 3;30 after a day exploring the area by bicycle we returned to find the room as we left it. This did not particularly bother me but as we both wanted to shower, I rang reception to request fresh towels. After an hour of waiting on these we eventually give up and used the towels from the day before.

Overall, the hotel is quite good and would definitely have returned here if It hadn't have been for the "lessor guest" impression.

My advice to the management would be to PROMOTE the hotel with your offers. Don't try to skimp with the bar meals. One meal in the restaurant, allowing customers to sample what you can do, would be much more beneficial than two fast food options in the bar!

4 Thank euge1958
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback on your recent stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle. It is great to read that you think the hotel is nice and that our location is fantastic.

I am surprised to read of your comments that you felt like you were treated as “lessor guests”. Rest assured I have taken these comments back to the management team as all our guests, no matter what channel they use to book, are as important as each other.

Some of own rates and some rates on third party websites do include a 2 course meal in our Quay Bar off our Pier Menu. All our guests have the opportunity to upgrade to our Wildes Dinner Menu for €20 per person if they wish to have a more elaborate meal. I do apologise if this was not to your taste.

I am sorry for your experience with our Accommodation Department and your request for extra towels. I realise the importance of an efficient accommodation service and am sorry that we let ourselves down on this occasion. I appreciate your feedback and have discussed our shortcomings with the team in order that these may be addressed.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback, I do hope that you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves in the future. Please do contact me on colin@thelodgeac.com so that I can personally oversee the details of your stay.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#5 of 14 in Westport
the g Hotel & Spa Galway

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!