“The Lodge at Ashford”

The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cong
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We travelled to cong in county mayo we arrived at the lodge and from the minute we arrived we were meet by fantastic staff who were so helpful. As we had a dinner included and had arrived at 8 .30 pm we went to our room with our bags and went to the restaurant at 8.50 to sample the most fantastic food in wildes restaurant and a sampler menu in between our courses where we sampled many delights. We had a fab room with a huge bed with the most comfortable mattresse and feathered quilt, breakfast was fantastic each morning. There was nothing too much that the staff could do for us we had the most reling break and we are looking forward to coming back

2  Thank tamara016
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you for posting your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you had a relaxing break and that the staff were helpful throughout your stay.
It is great to read also that you enjoyed your dinner in Wildes Restaurant and that the bedroom and bedding were to your requirements. I do hope to personally welcome you back to The Lodge in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with partner. Emailed the day before to say we'd be late arriving. Nice welcome at reception, but the complimentary champagne on arrival, was Prosecco in a bucket of water. Room was ok. Bathroom could do with a good clean. Grout of tiles in shower area was dirty. Food was good, but little things niggled. Potatoes served with mains were supposed to be colcannon. It arrived in a dish with a green mousse type of goo on top. It wasn't like any colcannon I'd ever had before. It was runny and had no kale or cabbage in it. Another diner asked if she could chicken, only to be told there was none in stock. All was available was what was on menu. Gave the impression that Chef couldn't or wouldn't cook anything else. Another diner at breakfast asked for a cappucino, only to be told there was an extra charge for it! A bit mean! Apart from that, a lovely location. Beautiful walks by the Castle.

2  Thank MarySTipperary
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, this helps me monitor the service that we provide. I am glad that you enjoyed the surrounding areas and thought the food was good.

I am sorry that the Prosecco that was part of your package was not topped up with ice as you had informed us of your late arrival, we do have a procedure in place for this in the evening time, but it seems this was not carried out in your bedroom, our Food and Beverage Manager has taken this back to his team as an area of training.

Here at The Lodge we operate a rolling maintenance programme for our bedrooms and public areas. I have asked that the room you occupied to be brought forward on this to re-grout the tiles in the bathroom shower area, Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

On Sunday evenings in Wildes restaurant, we do run with our chef Jonathan’s blind tasting menu, where the only question asked is if a particular person has any allergies. This has proven to be very popular with diners over the past 4 months. The potato dish served on the night in question was colcannon with a spring onion foam. It consisted of potatoes, butter, cream, salt and cabbage. I am sorry that this element of the dish was not to your taste.

We do have a nominal charge on speciality coffees at breakfast time which is listed on our breakfast menus. We provide ground or filter coffee, breakfast or herbal teas and hot chocolate for our guests free of charge.

I regret that your visit was not as positive as others on this site, but do hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves. Do please contact me personally for any future reservations you may wish to make on colin@thelodgeac.com

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Thuas maith, leath na oibre. An Irish saying which means a good start is half the work.
My wife and I visited The Lodge as part of a Connemara trip last weekend. All the elements conspired to perfection and we arrived at thhe Lodge on a beautiful sunny afternoon after a stunning drive from Kylemore Abbey. This was the "luxury' night of the trip and I had booked a suite.
It is rarely that a room can have such an impact but both of us ( seasoned travellers) were blown away by the room. We spent a most enjoyable afternoon in the little garden outside the suite enjoying the sunshing and soaking in the lakeview.
But there was more to come.! We ate in the Wilde Restaurant that evening where they had a mystery tasting menu on offer. The range, quality presentation and inventiveness of the food was simply superb. We argued whether it was our finest meal ever and whereas we didnt reach agreement it was certainly one of the leading nominees. It was also incredible value for the quality of the offering and the icing on the cake was a window table where we were able to watch the patterns of the setting sun on the lake and surrounding mountains
We met with the manager Colin the next day and he explained enthusiastically that the Red Carnation Group had taken over the hotel in February ( already own the nearby Ashford Castle). and talked about the plans for the estate. If thats the standards that they have achieved after just 5 months, it will be really interesting to see where Colin and his crew can take the Lodge over the next year.
His enthusiasm was absolutely infectious and I genuinely wish him and the Lodge well.

1  Thank JJW296

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that we surpassed all your expectations of The Lodge, you have given great justice to our location, I struggle to think anyone else could better you on this description. Our chef Jonathan was delighted to read your comments on the food in Wildes restaurant, you will have to return to us one day and settle the dispute!

All of us at The Lodge are very proud and confident with the product and service that we offer, which I am delighted you picked up on, it was an absolute pleasure to host you and your wife for the weekend. I do hope to personally welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We attended a wedding there recently and stayed overnight at the Lodge. We had booked our accommodation some months ago and got a fabulous room in the main building. I would consider our room a suite as it had living accommodation downstairs and the bedroom was upstairs. The downstairs part had a couch and some chairs, tea/coffee facilities as well as a fridge. We also had a little space outside with a table and two chairs. There was a flat screen TV and also what looked like an electric fire built into the wall but the day was so hot the fire was not needed! Upstairs there was a big double room with a very comfortable bed and a really cosy quilt. The bathroom was huge and had lots of nice soaps and shampoo and there was a TV in the bedroom. The location of this Lodge is breathtaking - overlooking the lakes and surrounded by lots of trees and a fabulous garden. It is a fantastic place for wedding photographs with lots of background scenery. Breakfast was good but I felt the selection of cereals, breads and fruits was rather limited. The Lodge is a fabulous place for a relaxing break and hopefully we will return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are really nice
1  Thank Feemar5

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor, I am happy to read that overall you had a relaxing break and that you plan to return.

I am glad that you enjoyed your Duplex Suite which we have 12 of in The Lodge. These suites have recently been refurbished this summer with new couches, televisions, mattresses, bedding and bathroom products.

I am sorry that you felt our continental breakfast offering was rather limited, we have recently doubled the size of our continental buffet offerings to include a larger selection of cheeses, artisan meats and fish, farmhouse breads, seed loafs and additional cereals. However our chef will be reviewing the offerings in light of your comments and we would like to thank you for your feedback.

I do hope that you will be able to return to The Lodge and that I can personally welcome you back.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We attended a Wedding Reception at the Lodge in late June 2014. We had never been there before so we were anxious to see how things would pan out....The location is "to die for"..nestled in the woodland on a high vantage point overlooking the Lakes.....breathtaking !!!. The one thing that stood out for us was the attention to detail and the Service...We were both very, very impressed. There was not one aspect of the entire visit that could be faulted in ANY way....We did not stay overnight(fully booked by our wedding party).....All who stayed, some for a few days, said it was an absolute delight and a rare experience. We were enthralled by the visit and we shall be back soon for sure....

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Azvor
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your comments about a wedding you attended here at The Lodge at Ashford Castle. We too think that we have one of the best locations possible with the abundance of natural beauty that surrounds us.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our service team, we encourage our team to use their personality whilst maintaining a particular level of service which each individual does so naturally. I have passed your comments onto the team here at The Lodge, which they were delighted to read.

We all really look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge at Ashford Castle in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon at Ashford Castle, c17 years ago. We fell in love with the Castle, the Grounds and thought the staff were wonderful. When Pierce Brosnan decided to get married there some years later, the Hotel seemed to be 'put on the map' deservedly.
We visited the Lodge at Ashford Castle a couple of years ago and, whilst we had a lovely break, we missed being able to enjoy the facilities of the Castle, just down the road, as the Lodge was under separate ownership at the time.
We were so pleased therefore to hear that the Castle has been taken over by the Red Carnation Group, who have also purchased the Lodge, creating 'an Estate'. This means that staying at the Lodge affords you access to the beautiful Castle, the grounds, the bars, the restaurants, the leisure facilities etc. With tennis courts, spa facilities and soon to have a swimming pool, this is fantastic news.
Last week my husband and I took up a Midweek Madness Offer and stayed one night at the Lodge, enjoying a 2 course meal in the bar of the Lodge and staying in a Courtyard room.

The staff were very welcoming but a minor hiccup - the room was less so. We were in quite a dark room, with a slightly musty odour. It was one of the few rooms with full disabled facilities which is commendable but not quite what we had imagined having stayed there previously in a gorgeously bright and fresh room.

Nevertheless, a walk to the beautiful Castle, a look at the lake, cocktails in the bar and a stroll back in the evening sunshine made up for any 'mild' disappointment in the room. Having stayed there before we know that most of the other rooms are absolutely gorgeous and bathed in natural light, many with stunning views. (I guess you get what you pay for - we were on a 'mid week offer after all!)

On the plus side - the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom well stocked with helpful goodies.

Breakfast the following morning was gorgeous too and check out was more than easy.

We can't wait to return to the Lodge. We will try to request a slightly brighter room, but this didn't spoil our stay in the slightest.

If prices permit, we are also very keen to stay in the Castle itself which is going through an incredible refurbishment, the finishing results of which, are sure to be stunning. You never know - perhaps we might bump into Pierce Brosnan and his wife, enjoying their anniversary too !..
Thanks to all at the Lodge for another lovely stay in gorgeous surroundings.

Trudy and Andrew. x

3  Thank TMapstone

Dear Trudy and Andrew,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, I am delighted to read that overall you had a great stay with us.

We are truly delighted to be part of The Red Carnation Hotel Collection, which has opened up The Lodge to all the estate activities that guests of Ashford Castle have enjoyed for many years. We now also share the same fantastic entrance, grounds and facilities.

I am sorry that the room allocated to you was not of your preference in terms of natural light, as you rightly pointed out we do have 6 Lakeview Suites which do look over Lough Corrib, but please feel free to let us know of your preference next time you plan to stay and we will do our very best to accommodate you. We have just recently changed all our mattresses in the hotel, so its great to read that the bed was extremely comfortable. We are also working with a new company that supplies our bathroom amenities, which are of a higher quality than the previous products.

I hope it’s not too long until we see you again, I look forward to personally welcoming you back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were staying in the area at a private Cottage outside of Clonbur on the Corrib, but we decided to treat ourselves for dinner on our last night at Wilde's. Food - Superb. Service - Superb. Everything about this meal was Wonderdul, the table, the view, the service, etc....I had the tartar & my husband had the foie gras...creamy melted in your mouth...mine was lushious and rich. The maincourse was risotto and fish...just wonderful...rich and smooth and the rice - perfectly cooked...fish (John Dorry) was perfectly cooked and the plating was beautiful...the little bites in between were a GREAT surprise and the deserts were over the top...the play on Popcorn was just beautiful and the taste was everything...Completely worth the price and would do again. Besides the restaurant....I have to say something about the bar downstairs...the staff there was above and beyond - the nicest people I have ever met. I am so sorry I cannot remember his name, but the bartender was great...we were talking about it being our last night and that we were going to stay at the Bunratty Castle hotel (cause close to Airport) and he gave us directions, but the long way so we could see some more beautiful sites in Ireland. He even printed out maps for us...who does that??? No one I ever met. I cannot wait to come back to Ireland and when we do we will definitely come back to the Lodge probably just to have a pint or two and dinner...not sure if we could afford the hotel. :(

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank doglover505

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful review of Wildes Restaurant at The Lodge. I am happy to read that you had a great experience, from when you arrived to your table over looking Lough Corrib to the food and service. Our chef Jonathan likes to explore and invent different ways of cooking and serving his food, he was extremely happy with your feedback which encourages him to keep creating new dishes.

I am delighted to read your comments about our staff in our Quay Bar, they will go above and beyond to help or advise all our guests whether staying or just stopping for a meal or a drink. It’s with great pleasure I read of this staff member going above and beyond to provide you with such a lasting memory of The Lodge.

Please do keep an eye out on our website for special offers, we do run with certain promotion all throughout the year and I would hope that you would be able to come back and stay the night with us. Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to The Lodge one day.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#3 of 14 in Westport
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!