“very good hotel”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cong
GreenLeadersGold level
“very good hotel”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

stayed here while attending a wedding, staff were lovely during our stay and very helpful.
rooms were nice and beds very comfortable
breakfast was excellent
My only problem is that I appeared to have been charged twice on my debit card, I contacted the hotel and spoke with someone, who said the preauthorisation had not been cancelled, and she couldn't do it without me present, and it's up to the bank, my sister heard the conversation and felt she didn't let me speak and wasn't very helpful but abrupt.
After speaking with a friend in the hotel business I rang and spoke with Jacinta a few days later, she apologised and agreed to sort it and call me back(as they didnt need me present to cancel the pre auth), which she did, but it is still not sorted, and I dont have access to my funds still, I feel it should have been dealt with on my first call, after all anyone can make a mistake, but it was their mistake.
very disappointed after such a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank anastacia R
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle.

I am delighted to read that you had a great stay with us and that you found our staff lovely and helpful and the rooms nice.

I am disappointed to learn of your problems with your pre authorisation, I would like to stress that we take any matters involving credit/debit cards extremely seriously. I have investigated the matter fully with Donna in our accounts department. It appears that our staff did follow the correct procedures by pre authorising and completing the transaction your card. However as it was a Visa Debit card, if the transaction value is not within 15% of the original amount authorised, there is a possibility of a new authorisation code being issued rather than using the existing authorisation. I am terribly sorry of the difficulties you encountered and for the wrong information given and have personally retrained the member of staff that you found unhelpful. I am happy to inform you that we have instigated additional training in this area.

Please feel free to contact me on colin@thelodgeatashfordcastle.com and I would be happy to discuss this issue further with you. It is always disappointing to end a stay on a negative, but I do hope you will give us the chance to redeem ourselves in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Athenry, Ireland
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding celebration at the Lodge. The staff were all great, particularly the porter and the bar staff. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was fantastic - very spacious and comfortable with a wonderful view over the lake. Only slight gripe was that the en suite was distinctly lacking in space to store our things. Bar food was very nice. Lunch menu was good but would benefit from more "light" options such as sandwiches. The wedding itself was perfect. Chris, who was in charge of proceedings on the day, ensured that everything went to plan. The food served was fantastic, and service was spot on. For other guests not involved in the wedding, noise levels were minimised by good sound proofing, with wedding guests given the rooms nearest to the function room. I highly recommend the Lodge whether you're planning a party or just fancy a romantic break.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rob1060660
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your wedding celebration with us at The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.

It was a pleasure to celebrate your special day with you, and I am delighted to read that found it to have run without a hitch.

Thank you also for your feedback on the rooms, I will definitely be thinking of increasing the storage in the bathroom of your allocated room when we next carry out some refurbishment and we will be reviewing our bar menu to reflect your comments above.

From all of us at The Lodge, we wish you and your wife all the best for the future and I hope to personally welcome you back.

tipp
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Really had a wonderfull stay here at the Lodge at Ashford. We had dinner in Wildes and it was a very special experience. johnathon Keane is a very gifted chef and while the food is inventive and stylish it never loses its focus and balance and simply tastes great. The staff are extremely friendly and professional. At 49 euro it has to be one of the best value meals in Ireland. We wish them all the best with the new owners and hope they get the support this talented chef and his team deserve.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TippDcg
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your glowing review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle.

I am delighted to read of your support for our Head Chef, Jonathan Keane. We do also think that he is a very gifted chef, who works with simple core values and very local ingredients to deliver some exceptional dishes. Jonathan is always adapting and perfecting his menus, I am delighted to say he will be launching a brand new tasting menu on Sunday Evenings. I am happy to read also that you found our staff friendly and professional.

We hope to welcome you back to The Lodge soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding. My sister was on crutches and the porter was very helpful. The room was really nice and very comfortable beds.
Breakfast was superb and a great variety of fruit and breads.
The grounds were nice and views really made it a special place to stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank anastacia R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle.

I am delighted to hear that you found Padraic, our Day Porter, extremely helpful and have passed your wonderful comments to him. Our chef has recently added additional breakfast choices to our buffet and menu, I am glad to read that this was well received. We also do think that we have some of the best views across Lough Corrib.

I hope to welcome back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.

USA
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Came here for dinner and not disappointed. The lodge is part of the Ashford Castle estate and an easy walk from the castle where we stayed. The 3 course menu was fixed price and well worth it considering it was really a 7-course if you include the amuse bouche, interlude between appetizer and entree, a pre-dessert, and truffles . We had mussels for appetizers which was cooked in such a unique way that it came out crispy and airy. The 3-way lamb (hogget) entree serving was very generous and the meat so tender, juicy, and delicious. I'm not a huge dessert eater so I commend the restaurant for going out of their way to offer me lighter fare alternatives such as fresh fruits, sorbet, or both. Overall, a delightful dining experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank worldtraveler43Usa
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Wildes at The Lodge restaurant on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you thought that our set menu was reasonably priced and that the food quality throughout your meal was of high standard. It is pleasing to know that your particular requirement for dessert was met also, we do our very best to accommodate any requests.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge in the not so distant future.

kildare
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Just back from a night here. Normally stay at ashford castle but it was booked out and we were told to give the lodge a try.
On arrival the place was really busy with guests fro a wedding the previous day.
There was no one at the door so we were a bit confused as to where reception was as there were people everywhere.
We found it and before we even said who we were we were told our room wouldnt be ready until 3pm.. as you can see we are very busy,,,,,I am well aware of this policy but generally you are checked in first and then told when the room will be available,,,so not a great first impression.
The room was nice in its day....however the carpets were filthy ....really badly stained.....I was shocked to think a hotel would actually think that this was ok....and sell the room
Food in wildes restaurant as excellent as was the service.,,and i would highly recommend to eat here if in the area.
On check out i mentioned the state of the carpet and the receptionist was really apologetic and called the duty manager who was also very apologetic.
They did give us a discount which was very good of them.
This hotel has a great location,excellent food, but just needs some love.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KildareCian
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for placing your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you thought the food was excellent and the location was great.

I am sorry to learn of the problems you encountered during your stay with us and would like to reassure you that I have addressed these with my team to ensure that other guests do not have a similar experience.

I regret that your visit was not as positive as others on this site, but do hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves. Do please contact me personally for any future reservations you may wish to make.

Yours sincerely

Ashby-de-la-zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We spent one night at this hotel as Ashford castle (where we normally stay) is closed for renovations.
We learnt that the same hotel group who own Ashford castle have also bought this hotel and was certainly not disappointed.
The hotel has wonderful views of Lough Corrib and is in beautiful grounds.
The room was spacious and very comfortable.
We decided to eat in the hotel from the bar menu and was not disappointed. The food was very tasty and well presented.
The hotel is very cosy at night with tea lights all around the hotel and a gorgeous open fire with peat burning.
The staff were very professional,helpful and pleasant.
I really loved my stay here and wish I had booked more nights stay as I didn't want to leave!!
We will certainly be back next year and recommend this lovely hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanne R
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for placing your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you really loved your stay with us.

You are completely correct in saying that we are now part of the award winning, family run, Red Carnation Hotel Collection along with our sister property Ashford Castle. We do also think we have a picturesque location with fantastic views over Ireland’s largest lake. I have passed your wonderful comments about the room, food and service onto our team, who were equally delighted to read them.

I do hope to personally welcome you back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#3 of 14 in Westport

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!