“Great break”

The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cong
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 8, 2013

On arrival upgraded to room with a view of loch, which we would definitely recommend. Very cheerful and helpful staff. Excellent overall package which included their very interesting seven course tasting menu, which really enhanced our visit. Very good location for days out enjoying the Irish lochs and coastline, particularly those beautiful little sandy coves with nobody around.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were sent here as a wedding present and went for a night in September. Everything about the hotel was top notch - the location and setting, the staff, the restaurant, room and breakfast. The drive in is impressive you arrive at reception overlooking the lake and woodland below the house. There was a wedding on but plenty of guests staying who were not involved. We had a drink at the bar which stocked a great range of craft beers and is set at the front of the house. A great place to relax after the drive and look out over the scenery. Our room was huge - which was in the old house and surprising as I would have expected it to be given to someone at the wedding. The decor was modern and very clean and well maintained. The bathroom was also large with a bath as well as a seperate walk in shower. Dinner at Wildes was included in the deal we chose from their website and was exceptional - the presentation as well as the food was great. We only spent one night here as it is expensive but having had the experience I was pleasantly surprised that they stood stand up to deliver the quality you would expect for that level. I would stay again.

Room Tip: While we had a room in the original house near the restaurant from walking around it looked like tho...
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for just one night to attend a wedding but wished we could of stayed longer to enjoy it more.

The hotel rooms are fantastic and the overall hotel is very nicely decorated and clean.

The food was amazing as are the grounds.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed for one night in Lisloughrey Lodge on 15th September. Our room was located in the main part of the house, and although it was smaller than other rooms, it had everything we needed. Shower was amazing, and bed was really comfortable.
Dined in Wildes restaurant and I have to say the food is the best I have had ever! They source their ingredients locally but cook it in such a way to make it so unique and tasty. Service at dinner was faultless, with added bonus amuse bouches between each course.
The receptionist and all of the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was within walking distance of Cong village which is definitely must-see.
Overall excellent trip to Lisloughrey.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Lisloughrey lodge 9th & 10 Sept 2013. We have stayed in many fine hotels in Europe but this home grown paradise was fantastic.

We dined in Wilde's what a very pleasant experience the dinner menu was 42 euro each but it was those little extras that really made the whole dinner wonderful. The service was impeccable the staff very very friendly and the wine excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone.

The hotel receptionist Catriona was most helpful. We had mentioned to Richard the barman that we were going to Galway races and he gave us directions that were better than Google maps they both did make our stay worthwhile.

Room Tip: any room is worthwhile
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel a couple of years ago and loved it for this reason we couldn't wait for our return visit. I phoned to book and Karen on reception offered us an upgrade to one of the "lake view" suites. This is a beautiful room and although it was spotless the cream carpets are stained personally it didn't bother me as they would be impossible to keep and should never have been used in a hotel. As part of our break my parents had booked us a voucher for afternoon tea I hoped to do this on Thursday when we arrived but was told this would not be possible as the hotel had a wedding in (very small wedding). I was told I could have it the next day at 2 o'clock. This would have meant staying in the hotel all day so we declined and transferred the voucher for use in the bar. We hadn't eaten so we were hungry and couldn't wait to have dinner in the bar as on our previous visit this had been beautiful. It was so disappointing my chowder was watery with little other fish than salmon. I opted for the chicken for mains as the ham and salmon were out of stock (quite a lot on a smallish bar menu) it arrived looking dull it was dry and tasteless, I ate it as I was hungry. We ordered basil and strawberry cheesecake for desert it was presented drowning in a berry coulis with no cream/ice cream,looking like it had been plated several hours earlier. in fairness it was a nice combination and I look forward to adding basil to my next strawberry cheesecake. On the second evening we ate in Wildes we were really nervous after the evening before however, we need not have worried. It was beautiful from start to finish it had unusual twists and was cooked to perfection. I could not recommend it enough. I would have no hesitation returning however I doubt we would eat in the bar again. Thank goodness Wildes restored our faith in lisloughery lodge.

Room Tip: Go for the best you can afford they are all nice. I would recommend an upstairs "lake view"...
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on September 8, 2013. We drove up front to unload our luggage. I walked into the reception lounge with him so I could stretch (we'd driven several hours in our car that day). Before my husband was even finished checking in, a man came in and told us we MUST move our car, as a bride was coming (there was plenty of parking space out front...don't know why we had to move our car to make room for ONE car). I grumbled a bit but the reception concierge didn't even apologize. So I finished the process of checking in. After that I had to wait for my husband to return, then we had to hike it out to the back parking lot and drag our luggage back over rocks into the hotel and up to our room. For 200 Euros a night, I would expect to be able to park out front to unload my luggage. I am 57 years old and not incapable, but still would have liked some service to go along with the price we paid. Also, the hallway to our room was on the same floor as the restaurant and smelled like dead, wild game. NOT pleasant. The room was fine, the view was great. Would not stay here again. If you can afford it, stay at Ashford Castle (on the grounds, within walking distance.) But don't ask the staff at Lisloughrey this hotel to take you over to Ashford Castle. We walked to Ashford Castle, had a beautiful dinner (the waiters called us by name, no less), and the folks at Ashford Castle gave us a lift back to our hotel in their buggy (a golf cart). We referred to Lisloughrey as "Le Misery" while we were there. The difference in attention to service from Ashford to Lisloughrey was remarkable. Funny, because quality service doesn't cost the proprietor anything, except future customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view. It's the only good thing about this hotel. If you can afford...
2  Thank Pam W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#3 of 14 in Westport
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!