My partner and I stayed here last weekend for 2 nights, we attended a wedding here on the Saturday and stayed on for the Sunday night as well. We had a fantastic time. Everyone I spoke to who stayed in the hotel for the wedding raved about the rooms, the food, the location....
Lisloughry Lodge (for a short while known as The Lodge at Ashford) is a lovely boutique hotel on the grounds of Ashford castle, overlooking Lough Corrib. We had fantastic weather for the weekend, and enjoyed walks around the grounds, down to the lake, and over to the Castle. There are beautiful walks nearby (Cong Abbey, forest trails, lakeside rambles) as well as the picturesque village of Cong. Although we did not take the boat tour of Lough Corrib on this occasion, I have done it before (from the Castle) and recommend it.
The hotel is decorated to a very high standard, with a slightly quirky edge in that the rooms are painted strong colours. Our bedroom was phenomenal, but as I was part of the bridal party I was lucky that the bride allocated it to me! It was the second "bridal suite" and was huge, with all black and white decor, a mounted flat screen TV and electric "log" fire, stunning views down the front garden to the lake, an outdoor terrace, and a large bathtub in the room. Photos included with this review. The king size bed was very comfortable, and we slept well. The bathroom was a bit small (no place to spread out my toiletries etc) but having the huge bath in the bedroom definitely made up for any shortcomings!
The wedding meal was superb. Starter of a thimbleful of soup, followed by duck salad, lemon sorbet, a choice of fillet of steak or sea bass for the main, and 3 mini-desserts as well as a cheese plate on each table. I would be very impressed to be served this meal in an upscale restaurant, so to be treated to this (along with the other 150+ people in the room) was admirable. The second night, we had dinner in Wildes restaurant. It was fantastic. There were 3 "hidden courses" between our starter, main and dessert and these were a culinary and artistic treat. The food was plated beautifully, and it all felt like a fine dining experience, despite the relaxed atmosphere. Service was impeccable - quick, friendly and unobtrusive. Breakfast was average – pre-prepared fry (black and white pudding was dry and overcooked, but scrambled eggs were perfect), usual selection of cereals, fruit and yoghurt as well as croissants and jam.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a few early snags when booking the room (some confusion and a few phone calls) but after that it was smooth sailing. Other TA posters have complained about the service, but I can honestly say I found it fantastic, and nothing was too much for the staff. Special mention for the housekeeping staff, who provide a service until 9pm, and were very friendly and happy to sort our room for us in the evening rather than the morning.
I believe there was treatment room(s) onsite for massages etc, but I did not see this while I was there.
I would recommend this hotel for couples or groups of friends looking for a relaxing break. Looking forward to a return visit!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the 360 acre Ashford Castle estate over looking Lough Corrib, The Lodge at Ashford Castle provides an exemplary country house experience, the Lodge offers Contemporary country cooking using local artisan produce in the relaxing lake view dining rooms. Beautifully designed deluxe rooms (24) and suites (26) combined with an outdoor Tub and Sauna are sure to provide the perfect escape. Banqueting facilities include a glass walled Harbor Room that can welcome up to 200 wedding guests, a boardroom for meetings and screening room for private dining. Estate activities including golf, Falconry and Horse riding are all available along this beautiful estate. We are delighted to now be part of The Red Carnation Hotel Collection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Lodge at Ashford Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Ashford Hotel Cong
- The Lodge At Ashford Castle Ireland/Cong