“Getting away from it all at Lisloughry...”

The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cong
GreenLeadersGold level
Galway, Ireland
“Getting away from it all at Lisloughry...”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My partner and I stayed here last weekend for 2 nights, we attended a wedding here on the Saturday and stayed on for the Sunday night as well. We had a fantastic time. Everyone I spoke to who stayed in the hotel for the wedding raved about the rooms, the food, the location....

Lisloughry Lodge (for a short while known as The Lodge at Ashford) is a lovely boutique hotel on the grounds of Ashford castle, overlooking Lough Corrib. We had fantastic weather for the weekend, and enjoyed walks around the grounds, down to the lake, and over to the Castle. There are beautiful walks nearby (Cong Abbey, forest trails, lakeside rambles) as well as the picturesque village of Cong. Although we did not take the boat tour of Lough Corrib on this occasion, I have done it before (from the Castle) and recommend it.

The hotel is decorated to a very high standard, with a slightly quirky edge in that the rooms are painted strong colours. Our bedroom was phenomenal, but as I was part of the bridal party I was lucky that the bride allocated it to me! It was the second "bridal suite" and was huge, with all black and white decor, a mounted flat screen TV and electric "log" fire, stunning views down the front garden to the lake, an outdoor terrace, and a large bathtub in the room. Photos included with this review. The king size bed was very comfortable, and we slept well. The bathroom was a bit small (no place to spread out my toiletries etc) but having the huge bath in the bedroom definitely made up for any shortcomings!

The wedding meal was superb. Starter of a thimbleful of soup, followed by duck salad, lemon sorbet, a choice of fillet of steak or sea bass for the main, and 3 mini-desserts as well as a cheese plate on each table. I would be very impressed to be served this meal in an upscale restaurant, so to be treated to this (along with the other 150+ people in the room) was admirable. The second night, we had dinner in Wildes restaurant. It was fantastic. There were 3 "hidden courses" between our starter, main and dessert and these were a culinary and artistic treat. The food was plated beautifully, and it all felt like a fine dining experience, despite the relaxed atmosphere. Service was impeccable - quick, friendly and unobtrusive. Breakfast was average – pre-prepared fry (black and white pudding was dry and overcooked, but scrambled eggs were perfect), usual selection of cereals, fruit and yoghurt as well as croissants and jam.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a few early snags when booking the room (some confusion and a few phone calls) but after that it was smooth sailing. Other TA posters have complained about the service, but I can honestly say I found it fantastic, and nothing was too much for the staff. Special mention for the housekeeping staff, who provide a service until 9pm, and were very friendly and happy to sort our room for us in the evening rather than the morning.

I believe there was treatment room(s) onsite for massages etc, but I did not see this while I was there.

I would recommend this hotel for couples or groups of friends looking for a relaxing break. Looking forward to a return visit!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed September 19, 2012

was at a wedding here two weeks ago ,a lovely plaice ,but have your dinner before you come here , it was awful ,we were starving after the dinner one side of our table got potatoes and no veg the other side got veg and no potatoes the beef we got was tiny when we asked for more we were just ignored ., some people actually went down the village for a takaway , very dissapointed with it all wont be back

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jim b
Ballina, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here at the weekend and had a fab time. It is a beautiful boutique hotel in a beautiful setting on the ground of Ashford castle. There are many nice places to take a walk or drive and the town of Cong is near by which is worth a visit.
The rooms are well appointed and the decor is stunning. The king size bed is so comfortable.
We had dinner in Wildes restaurant which I must say was one of the nicest meals I have had in a while. The little treats in between course is a lovely touch. This is what you expect with fine dining and it definitely met our expectations. There was unusual foods put together but they worked so well and were so tasty especially the Black Pudding and Chocolate truffles. I could eat a box of these if it were possible !!!
The staff were very friendly and helpful from making the reservation via phone/ email to departure. I dealt with Paulina for everything and she was very prompt which I liked.
The only down point we had was there was a wedding party there which took over the whole bar (which is very small) when we arrived. The bar at the function room entrance was closed and I feel this should have been open to them and let other guests use the main bar. We had to take our drinks to the lobby. This was just a minor down side but everything else made up for it.
We loved our stay and this is definitly a place worth visiting for a quiet relaxing break. Will definitely recomment to family and friends. We ourselves look forward to seeing you again also.

Leitrim, Ireland
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here 11th September for one night and were extremely impressed with both the hotel and the service we received. We had booked a double room and because it was our wedding anniversary we were very lucky to be upgraded to the Quay Suite. From the moment we arrived Mr Bala (the receptionist) could not have been more helpful - he is an asset to your hotel. We will definitely be back!!!

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Lovely setting ' great views and close to Galway and Castlebar ' is why I booked Lisloughrey for my parents.. and I wasn't let down ' Mum, didn't ask to move rooms which is a first ! and their breakfast was outstanding ... with a table by the window ' their words.. They felt welcome and relaxed.. although the hotel is working on a day behind ' as the weather forecast they got this morning was for yesterday !! The chap on reception was very kind and helpful.

Thank you, Lisloughrey ~ they'll be back ;-)

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view ' but they're all nice !
cork
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stated at Lisloughrey lodge for 2 nights in August and it was lovely - very homey and relaxed. The food in the restaurant was gorgeous. All in all our two night stay including dinner was very good value at € 265. The only drawbacks were that the breakfast was all buffet including the rashers and sausages and eggs- the sausages were deep fried which ruins them and the egs way too greasy and I would just expect to have a breakfast menu and a freshly cooked fry up in a place like lisloughrey I would prefer to pay 20 or 30 euros more and get that. Also the decor,while lovely in the rooms was a bit garish in the hallways and foyer I think they should really tone it down - go and look at Red Cliff Lodge in county Clare for a master class in relaxing , beautiful decor!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank catCork
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Clean with nice soft furnishings, comfy beds with well appointed rooms . Restaurant with Michelin star classed food staff that are not over fussy but effective all add up to a relaxing comfortable stay in this idyllic location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Robbie8000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#3 of 14 in Westport

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!