“Lovely Ride”

Ashford Equestrian Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Fun & Games in Cong
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ashford Outdoors designs and leads active and cultural experiences in the most spectacular of settings with panoramic views of lake, forest and Mountain. We specialise in outdoor activities that range from archery and mountain biking to horse drawn carriage rides and many other things besides. We have something to suit everyone. Ashford Outdoors has been offering activity and equestrian experiences in the West of Ireland for over 25 years. Our facilities include an archery range, Ireland's tallest tree climb as well as a large indoor arena. We are open to the general public and offer outdoor adventure and equestrian activities to holiday makers and groups 7 days a week. We provide corporate team building and bonding days as well as catering for youths and sports teams. We can also accommodate Hen and Stag parties and we offer bespoke activity packages for relaxation before or on the morning of your wedding day or special occasion! Our activities include archery, clay pigeon shooting, biking and mountain biking, tree climbing and abseiling, kayaking and guided archaeological and ecological tours. Our location is on the Ashford Castle Estate, next to the island village of Cong on the Galway/Mayo border in Western Ireland. Nestled between the great lakes of Lough Corrib and Lough Mask, Cong is the natural gateway to Connemara. We are only 45 minutes drive north of Galway city and a 45 minute drive south of Westport, Co. Mayo. Ireland West Airport Knock is less than an hour's drive away.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Tom, the owner guided us along a lovely ride around the Castle grounds. What was exceptional is that he shared all types of historical knowledge about the grounds and Ashford Castle.
We were very glad we had the opportunity to and beautiful day to ride.

All reviews
"carriage ride"
"an experienced rider"
in 5 reviews
"riding ability"
in 4 reviews
"great horses"
in 3 reviews
"friendly and professional staff"
"clay pigeon shooting"
"stables"
in 7 reviews
"arena"

Reviewed September 11, 2011

I took English riding lessons for several years, but rarely find myself anywhere near a horse, so when I learned there was an equestrian center nearby, I jumped at the chance for a trail ride. When we were greeted at the stables by a sweet Lab and an enthusiastic Springer Spaniel, I knew we'd come to the right place.

Since my husband is grossly inexperienced at any form of horseback riding, our wonderful guide, Tom, kept the pace at a beginning level - walking. The grounds of Ashford Castle are absolutely lovely, and Tom was quite knowledgeable about all of it. We wandered for a little over an hour before returning to the ring. Knowing I hadn't had the chance to really open up and revisit my skill set, Tom encouraged me to trot and canter on Barnacle, my Connemara Pony. Barnacle was a great mount - he's very confident and just gorgeous to look at.

I had an absolutely wonderful time. No matter your skill level, it's a great, relaxing experience. And who doesn't love horses?

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Not trekking but real riding on the Ashford estate. Nice well mannered horses who are ready when you want to pick up the pace. Tim's (the owner) son took me on a fantastic ride and had great knowledge of the area and estate. I am an experienced rider and highly recommend for a good ride.

Reviewed May 6, 2011

I was visiting Cong in November and I went riding in Ashford Equestrian Centre. They have friendly and professional staff and different type of horses for different type of riders. Ireland's native breed Connemara pony is well presented at the stables as well Irish draft. Hacking areas are gorgeous and you can decide how many hours you wanna ride. If you're not so much of a riding person you can try clay pigeon shooting or archery. I tried archery as well which was fun experience! I would really recommend this place because riding is great way to explore Ashford area.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 14, 2011

By accident we found the family run equestrian centre right beside Ashford Castle. The welcome was warm and friendly. I didn't matter that we were a group with mixed riding experiences. There were horses with the right temper and size for all of us - mainly irish breeds like Irish Hunter, Connemara Pony, Irish Draught or Cob. We were provided with helmets and boots and the Guide first made us comfortable with the horses in the indoor arena. Then we went for a hack in the woods - beautyful scenery. As we had the beginners with us, we just went for one light trott ... but the landscape made up for that :-) The horses were all pretty safe and very friendly.
As they told me, they do as well riding lessons. They have an Indoor- and a Outdoor Arena and I saw as well some logs in the woods you could jump. The way back to the stable went alongside the Lake - wow what a view.

Our men went back the next day to do clay pidgeon shooting which is provided there as well. They seemed to have fun.

If you go there, say a big hello to Willow the cutest Pony of all.

1  Thank Hannah0815