“Friendly and helpful”
Review of Ryan's Hotel

Ryan's Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cong
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Recently attended a function here and dined in the bar a few times in the lead up to the function. Function went very well - great food and very good service. The owners could not be more helpful. They helped on meal selection, booked the music, decoration of the room, setting up of marketing stall and late that night ensured everyone got home safe and well. Keenly priced also. The bar food was varied and had from the basic burger to mussels in white wine sauce. I would recommend the seafood platter with brown bread. Also do a very good seafood chowder. Ask Denis or Mike for advice as regards your stay. Denis will even do his own itinerary for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the building as the road can be busy in the morning.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Ryan's Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed in Cong because we had heard it was a lovely village. We booked online & thought that it was fairly expensive but usually you get what you pay for. We found the hotel with out any problems and were directed to park at the rear. We grabbed our bags etc and headed into the back door. I was carrying some jackets and as I entered the door was unable to see that it led directly & without warning to a number of steps going downwards. Needless to say I fell but luckily was uninjured. We then had to negotiate up some stairs & through corriadors to the reception area. The lounges there were quite dated old and grubby cream velvet with equally dated and grubbby cushions on them. After ringing the bell we were greeted by a "cook" who was filthy. He had grime and food alover his clothes and up to his elbows. He initially was unable to find our booking but eventually gave us a room key. When we got to the room it was very very basic, the bathroom floor had makeup on it & the beds had been slept in (there was mascara on the pillow cases and hair in the beds). I went back down to the reception and told the "cook" and he simply gave us keys to another room, which was still as basic and dated but reasonably clean. We found that the heating wasnt on, and were quite cold over night. Also the shower leaked and rand over the floor leaving a muddy trail on the floor as it picked up dirt etc from around the bathroom. The pub down stairs was reasonably priced basic food and the included breakfast was ok. I wouldnt recommend this hotel at all. The Village is quite lovely and is certainly worth a visit, just look around for your accomodation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Trevor83
Reviewed July 7, 2011

The road is about 1 meter from your head as you sleep. That's all I can be bothered saying! The service was however fantastic, it is basically just an old hotel on the main road.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jacks0nFamily
Reviewed May 15, 2011

After spending a weekend in this beautilful family run hotel, myself and my husand are already planning our next visit! Next time we would like to bring our friends to share the comfortable and warm irish ambiance this hotel oozes. From the moment of our arrival we were greeted with sheer warmth and hospitality by hotel owner Denis. We were brought to our quaint and tastefully furnished bedroom where we enjoyed a quiet afternoon nap (after our busy day travelling)! When we arose we went for a brisk walk around Cong village where we took in the breathtaking views of Ashford Castle. Later we dined in the crowe's nest where the service and the food were superb. Our waiter, a young Irishman, was very pleasant and recommended many dishes that would suit my husband's dietary needs. When we were finishing our dinner, the live band were getting ready to start- they were awesome! We sang along to all the traditional Irish songs and soaked up the pub's atmosphere. This pub is renowned for its live music and it really does live up to its standards. I hope that whoever is lucky to get to Cong during the summer months enjoy their stay as much as we did.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hoopslady
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We were very excited about coming to Cong and to stay at a historic hotel in the middle of the village was enticing to me. The owner Denis was very pleasant on the telephone, but acted extremely harried when we were there. Our accommodations were very plain, but suitable and I have no complaints. However, the problem with the entire experience may have been a very large local family group gathered for an event. Children were running up and down the halls until late at night, people sitting on stairwells which made it hard to get up or down, and when we went to the Crow's Nest we did receive menus, but noone ever came back to take a drink or a meal order. We tried to get someone's attention, but again, they were concentrated on a larger group, so after about 30 minutes we gave up and went to another pub down the street and were served immediately. When we checked out the next morning, I did expect that the owner would at least acknowledge that it had been an unusual day/night and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. But, instead he just swiped my credit card and was off to other things. All in all, it wasn't a bad experience, just disappointing.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TexasTravelers02
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We stayed at Ashford Castle but we drove into Cong to have dinner at Crow's Nest Pub. We didn't know it was connected to Ryan's Hotel until we saw our receipt. The service was bad, we have to request the table to be cleaned. We ordered 2 burgers, they brought out no buns, they charged us 2 stews which were 2 Euros more than the burgers. We told the young man but he doesn’t care. The food wasn't that great anyway! This was the only pub in Ireland that wasn't friendly. Surprised!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank freddierocky
Reviewed March 7, 2010

The hotel was very pleasant, the staff was friendly and very professional. Rooms were very clean and confortable. I very much enjoyed the bar located in the hotel, the crowd was very friendly to travelers and the guiness was poured with attention to detail and care, i dare say it was the best pint i drank in all of Ireland. The real suprise of this hotel was the food, I can say without doubt that I had the best hamburger I have ever eaten at the bar in Ryans, all the food was exceptional for breadkast, lunch and Dinner, but that burger I had was my first meal and I still remembet how great it was.. I encourage anyone traveling in Ireland to make the trip ton Cong and when you do, stay at Ryan's Hotel, when you do, get ready for a pleasant stay and a great meal, and please do yourself a favor and have a burger!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jerry023
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
Ryan's River Lodge
Ryan's River Lodge
#3 of 13 in Cong
Villa Pio Bed & Breakfast and Luxury Apartment

Been to Ryan's Hotel? Share your experiences!