“Khopchaideu Restaurant- Best Indian Food Ever”

Mekong Riverside Lodge
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We did not know about this hotel prior to eating at Khopchaideu Restaurant, and unfortunately had already paid for another place. We were lucky to hear about this restaurant and ate here with 4 other people we met on the way. This was honestly the best Indian food I have ever had, and I eat Indian food weekly back home in Canada. Presentation was good, as was value for the money, and taste was fantastic!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on two day slow boat to Luang Prabang. Great location on bank of Mekong with view over the river. Quaint rooms with private bath. Short walk from boat dock which is a plus when toting bags uphill. Worth hiring a local boy to help for 10000 kip. Quiet area away from noise of restaurants and traffic on Main Street. Can hear crickets at night as u fall asleep. Rooms are large, secure and very clean.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I didn't actually stay here when passing through Pak Peng on my way to Luang Prabang from Huay Xai, but I did eat here at their Khopchaideu Restaurant... and I am so very glad I did!

We thought we'd try a curry. The menu looked so tempting with so many favourites from Indian restaurants back in the UK... and also some more regional variations, such as buffalo masala. Some Indian food in the UK is excellent (some less so!), but the food here was as good as the very best. Very tasty curries, with lovely naan breads and rice; and all washed down with a couple of Beer Laos in the open sided verandah-style dining room. The evening was enlivened when the power failed across Pak Beng, but the staff (who spoke perfect English) were swift to bring out first torches to light the tables and then candles in what looked a well practiced operation. It certainly added to the atmosphere and encouraged us to stay for a few more Beer Laos until the lights came back on! Excellent value for money too.

I can't comment on the western and Laos food, but if it's anything as good as the Indian, then you wouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here one night during the two day slow boat trip down the Mekong with Adisak and the Nagi of Mekong cruise. I had no idea what to expect beforehand about Pakbeng (and to be honest, I didn't expect much) but the Riverside Lodge turned out to be pretty nice overall, considering this was Pakbeng. The highlight would have to be the view. I hadn't really looked out my window after checking in, going out for dinner and coming back just to go to sleep. But when I opened my window in the morning it took my breath away. The room is simple and the bathroom adequate. The lighting leaves a little bit to be desired, but for the amount of time you will spend in your room, or even in Pakbeng, it is fine. There is wifi but it didn't really work in my room, I had to stand outside to log on. Breakfast was served in a little restaurant across the street. Just basic bread and jam and a fried egg but it was fine. Others have commented on the noise but I didn't hear a thing, other than the roosters. Given the other options in Pakbeng, I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very nice stay at Mekong Riverside Lodge. The rooms are clean, with a great terrace and an amazing view over the Mekong river. Private bathroom, hot shower. Just a couple of meters away from the boat-arrival. In the morning some noise from the boats, but it was ok.
Very good quality for the price we paid - we did the booking in the hotel in Chiang Kong (Thai border) and paid only 500 baht for this very nice place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Mark_vdc
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Mekong Riverside Lodge. The staff and the owner are really helpful and accommodating. The rooms are clean, spacious, with a great terrace over the Mekong river. It can get a little bit noisy due to the fast boats early morning. A simple breakfast is included. The owner also runs an Indian restaurant just next door. Private bathroom, hot shower.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank asia_46
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here for one night while on the Nagi of Mekong cruise (excellent cruise by the way).

We were not expecting anything in Pakbeng. After all, this is a sleepy transit town, which didn't even have electricity until recently. Room was somewhat basic, but nice. It had a fan, a bathroom with warm water and a net to sleep under, since the windows had no glass in them and the walls were made of woven bamboo. Best asset of this room, however, was the amazing balcony, which had an incredible view over a particularly scenic bend in the Mekong. In the morning, they serve a nice breakfast (coffee, bread and fruit) on the balcony, which is an experience in its own right.

Pakbeng surprised us as well, wasn't expecting anything, but it turned out to be a very charming little village.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple