All reviewsmekong riverset menuluang prabangdeluxe roomsbeautiful hotelone nightbeautiful viewslow boatfrench manageran overnight staywelcome drinklaotian stylebalcony overlooking the riveran excellent restaurantan incredible experiencestaff were welcomingelephants being washed
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Indeed, the hotel is not perfect but to be honest I wouldn't stay anywhere else on the Mekong, down to Luang Prabang.

- The view is incredible, especially if you have a Deluxe room on the upper floor (which I strongly recommend)
- The staff very friendly and the food pretty good (+ they cultivate their own vegetables).
- The rooms are very clean and nice (all in wood).
- Wifi is available in the common areas
- Massages are cheaper than most of the hotels we stayed in during our 5 weeks trip in Laos/Cambodia/Myanmar

Nights can be very cold depending what time of the year you go so don't hesitate to ask for an extra blanket (there is no insulation).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Seraph1Lampion
Reviewed February 17, 2014

After a very impressive cruise we arrived at Pakbeng Lodge. It's overlooking the Mekong River. What a view.
Service is friendly, food is suprisingly good. We did not expect so much.
One night is not enough. We should have spend there two nights at least.

Room Tip: Choose the Deluxe room, for the view at Sunset
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst on excellent Shompoo Cruise from Luang Prabang to Houay Xai.

I was the only person on our boat staying at Pakbeng Lodge. Others had tried to book but it was full. I had only been able to book one of the deluxe rooms at the higher level.

On arrival staff at the riverside to meet me, and then a steep climb up to reception and area where the standare rooms are located. From here it is a short drive up to the deluxe rooms. I was kept waiting standing on a path for 15 minutes until another boat load arrived. I thought they should have either driven me up first or given me a drink and somewhere to sit.

On arrival at the top, the views are stunning and we were given a lemongrass drink and watched the sunset. Memorable.

The rooms were really comfortable with excellent bathrooms and a good view from the balcony. However the design is very flawed. There is no window and yet the whole frontage is a timber shutter which folds back to completely open the room to the balcony. However this has to be kept shut in the evening and at night due to the mosquitoes and other bugs. As there is no window, the room is therefore like a prison cell. If you were there during the day, in theory you could lie in bed with the shutters open and look out at the view - however the balconies are all connected by a walkway so other visitors would walk past and see you in bed. The balconies need to be separated to prevent this. The whole set up does not work and is particularly ridiculous given this hotel seems to be principally used as a stop over for river cruises with guests just there from dusk to dawn when the shutters need to be closed. It is absurd and I overheard this topic being discussed at several ttables during dinner.

The food was satisfactory but no more than that which was disappointing after the superb food offered in Luang Prabang.

I was also rather concerned by the local staff. In south-east Asia I am so used to smiling and friendly staff. Here the staff were friendly and attentive but did not appear happy and smiling. Normally I notice a bit of interaction between staff and smiles as the pass each other etc - here they almost seem to ignore each other. I even wondered if management have told them not to speak to each other when on duty. The atmosphere was somehow not right.

This nearly I very good hotel but to get a rating of more than three, a) the shutters need to be replaced with glass or at least have glass panel shutters, b) food needs to be improved and c) atmosphere needs to be improved.

I spoke to the French manager who said the hotel was full and is throughout the high season.

I suspect do this reason they feel there is no need to invest in resolving these issues. Such a shame as it could be so good.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Stanislas F, General Manager at Sanctuary Pakbeng Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Mr NickfromLondon,

Thank you for visiting us in February, we thank you for your fair review.

At the time of your visit, we had a Lao manager that did make our staff a bit miserable, we have since then made the proper modification, also regarding our dinner menu, in March we have acquire the experience of a Thai Chef as a consultant to improve the quality of the food.

We are always looking for improvements and thanks to the constructive reviews from Trip Advisor Contributors we can slowly achieve international standards from our remote location in Pakbeng Laos.

With our best Regards,

Stanislas Fradelizi

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We only hade a one night stop in one of the De luxe rooms but I wish we had stayed another couple of days. The views are spectacular and the staff and service outstanding. We really didn't expect such luxury half way through our Mekong cruise. Totally recommend it. Can't think of anything that could have been better.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 14, 2014

OK, after a long day on the long tail boat, practically the only (and much appreciated) way to get from Thailand to Luang Prabang the Pakbeng Lodge is heaven. But at a closer look it is overpriced. It is beautifully situated, high on the banks of the Mekong, but the rooms, and certainly the bathrooms need a make over to justify the price. There is no television, like it or not. We would prefer to have one and make our own decision to turn it on or not. The balcony is nice, all balconies have a (stunning) river view, but diner is relatively simple and where else can you go? The village hardly offers an alternative. Don't make the mistake of getting a massage in the room; two giggling and not exactly professionally dressed girls try their best, but the result is mediocre. The price is not. By any standard the Pakbeng Lodge is nice but overpriced.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Stanislas F, General Manager at Sanctuary Pakbeng Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Mrs/Mr Orange Amsterdam,

Thank you very much for visiting us in January, we are very sorry the Pakbeng Lodge was not up to your expectation.
We are looking to improve and review like yours is always helping us. In Pakbeng, we have a very local staff that is very eager to please but as you mentioned, might not always be professional. Our sincere apologies regarding the giggling, when the massage time should be relaxing.

With our best regards